Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: DSO Telescope Viewing Sizes new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5616894 - 01/11/13 09:17 AM

Quote:

Slippers on a metal-rung ladder would be a really bad idea. There's a reason they're called slippers, you know!

Bare feet always give the best grip, except on ice and snow.

Point taken about the slippers, although I figured they were called slippers because they are easy to slip on not because they are slippery in use.
However any kind of foot wear that gives support is generally a good idea for lengthy use of ladders no matter the weather
and also as often advertised in here, a comfy observing environment calls for better views.
Anyway it was just a silly side remark, I would wear footwear but to each his own.

I still like the scope though a lot and I wish that I would have a place to house something of this size.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: DSO Telescope Viewing Sizes new [Re: Gert K A]
      #5616910 - 01/11/13 09:31 AM

Quote:

However any kind of foot wear that gives support is generally a good idea for lengthy use of ladders no matter the weather and also as often advertised in here, a comfy observing environment calls for better views.

Gert:

Some good points. The first time I posted that photo I did not realize I was barefoot until someone pointed it out. San Diego is relatively warm in the winter so one can be comfy barefoot, even in the winter.

But I don't recommend it. Several years ago I was out in the backyard, again barefoot. I wanted another eyepiece so I started inside through a sliding glass door. The door itself was open but the screen was closed, I tried to walk through the screen and ended up severely lacerating my big toe, blood all over the place, a rushed trip to hospital, three weeks in bed, it became infected...

You'd think someone 64 years old would be smart enough to wear shoes outside but I still haven't learned my lesson.

Jon

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: DSO Telescope Viewing Sizes new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5616918 - 01/11/13 09:37 AM

My wife has the habit of going outside bare foot. Me, I always have shoes or slippers on when going out doors. Lesson learned when I was younger and stepped on a piece of glass....sliced my big toe open. Lots of blood and stitches so now I am cautious.

Agree with above comment....I would LOVE to own a big bad scope like that....even if it meant being bare foot while observing..lol

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
      #5616947 - 01/11/13 09:58 AM

Jon:

Im a winter "child" living in an urban environment up north, being barefooted is a luxury to me, as is good seeing and big scopes..
just write me down as envious

Gert

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5617382 - 01/11/13 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

a 12.5" Newtonian was considered a giant telescope but by today's standards, thanks to Mr. Dobson, it's not very large at all.

To you and me, a 12.5 inch Dobsonian may seem relatively small and certainly in comparison to an equatorially mounted 12.5 inch of days of yore, the Dob is much more compact and manageable but it is still a large telescope that requires planning and effort...

Jon

Relative is the operative word here. I'm looking at the spectrum of apertures that are available to today's amateurs, not ease of use or other factors. At most any major star party, an 18" truss-tube Dob hardly draws any attention any more and with the new ultra-fast mirrors, a 20" doesn't even seem all that big.

http://www.starmastertelescopes.com/MX20.htm

Dave Mitsky

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: DSO Telescope Viewing Sizes new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5617431 - 01/11/13 03:06 PM

Quote:

I'm looking at the spectrum of apertures that are available to today's amateurs, not ease of use or other factors. At most any major star party, an 18" truss-tube Dob hardly draws any attention any more ...

True. However, star-party attendees aren't necessarily typical of amateur astronomers in general. When writing an observing article for the broader public, I feel safe in calling a 16-inch scope big.

Also, when discussing what's visible in various size scopes, it doesn't make sense to tune it by telescope type. Six inches is still way above average for refractor apertures, but a 6-inch refractor doesn't show any more than an 8-inch Newtonian. So it still counts as medium-sized for this purposes.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: DSO Telescope Viewing Sizes new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5617737 - 01/11/13 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm looking at the spectrum of apertures that are available to today's amateurs, not ease of use or other factors. At most any major star party, an 18" truss-tube Dob hardly draws any attention any more ...

True. However, star-party attendees aren't necessarily typical of amateur astronomers in general. When writing an observing article for the broader public, I feel safe in calling a 16-inch scope big.

I am comfortable calling a 12.5 inch scope big/large. With dark skies, with a skilled observer, a 12 inch class scope can take you a long ways.

At a star party an 20 inch or 25 inch might be common place but that star party might be the only time during the year that the scope actually sees the night sky. People show their equipment at star parties but it is likely they do not have the opportunity to use a such a large scope at home. If I am like most other owners of larger telescopes, and a informal internet survey several years ago agreed with me, most have scopes that are more manageable that get more use. I am fortunate in that regard because I have a place to keep my larger scopes where the skies are reasonably dark but I still use the 12.5 inch and the 16 inch more than the 25 inch.

The purpose of this thread is help novices understand the ranking system used by authors when they discuss what is possible with small, medium and large scopes.. In that context, Tony is the one with the most experience. When I read such lists, generally it seems to me, the objects reserved for large scopes can be observed with a 12.5 inch if the conditions are favorable.

Jon

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5618331 - 01/12/13 12:51 AM

Jon,

That is not my experience at all. I regularly go observing with fellow astronomy club members who own 18, 20, 22, 24, and 25-inch Dobs. By regularly, I mean at least several times a month, if the weather gods permit.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5564427/page...

Frequency of use or what can be seen with one aperture or another are rather besides the point of what large means in the context of today's reality.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Dave Mitsky

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5618483 - 01/12/13 05:35 AM

Quote:

At a star party an 20 inch or 25 inch might be common place but that star party might be the only time during the year that the scope actually sees the night sky. People show their equipment at star parties but it is likely they do not have the opportunity to use a such a large scope at home.

I'm inclined to agree with David Mitsky on this one. I know a fair number of people with scopes in this size range, and all of them use them regularly. I find it hard to imagine anybody splashing out that kind of money for a scope that's only used at star parties.

But just as people who attend star parties aren't necessarily typical, the people that I know aren't necessarily typical.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: DSO Telescope Viewing Sizes [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5618565 - 01/12/13 08:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

At a star party an 20 inch or 25 inch might be common place but that star party might be the only time during the year that the scope actually sees the night sky. People show their equipment at star parties but it is likely they do not have the opportunity to use a such a large scope at home.

I'm inclined to agree with David Mitsky on this one. I know a fair number of people with scopes in this size range, and all of them use them regularly. I find it hard to imagine anybody splashing out that kind of money for a scope that's only used at star parties.

But just as people who attend star parties aren't necessarily typical, the people that I know aren't necessarily typical.

Indeed. I can speak best of my experience as an owner of some larger telescopes. In my situation, I typically get out to dark skies for 6 nights, maybe 8 in a good month, in a bad month, it may only be 2 or 3 times, I will almost always be observing with either the 16 inch or the 25 inch.

But home is where I do most of my observing, at least by nights if not by hours, and here I use something smaller.

Jon

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1754

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics