Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: paulr57]
      #5615317 - 01/10/13 11:27 AM

You could get a Nextar 6se or 8se which is not heavy like a GEM but has goTo features.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5615325 - 01/10/13 11:31 AM

Paul, I have a CPC1100 that is a very nice goto scope. More costly than your dob by far but very stable in any wind I've faced to date. The Celestron 8se's with the single arm are a little shaky in the wind, and I think the weight pushes the mount they are on to the limit.

Not sure how bad the beating your body took, but it's a little heavy to setup and take down. My setup time is maybe 15-20 minutes. I have a power pack underneath, do a 2 star alignment and I'm basically dead on the rest of the night. I do have the 6.3 focal reducer that is nice, and I've been using 82 degree explore scientific eyepieces with it giving me a very nice experience.

This is not the best choice for DSO AP. Planets and the moon it's fine, but you really do want a nice GEM mount if you want AP on DSO's. Doesn't sound like that is a big focus for you.

If a new or used one is in your price range I'd give it a strong thumbs up.

Good luck
Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: jerwin]
      #5615327 - 01/10/13 11:35 AM

Not trying to bash a 8se either, it is a very nice scope, but I've seen a few guys with them get chased out of the astronomy clubs dark site because the wind was too bad while I was able to keep going for several more hours.

Jim

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: Seldom]
      #5615329 - 01/10/13 11:35 AM

I'd find a small TuffShed (or similar clone), put some handles and wheels on the Dob you have, and put it close to where you'll do most of your viewing. While not a "GrabnGo", a good 4" refractor makes a great companion scope to a dob. The refractor will give you better contrast on the planets and moon; the dob, well, you know the views you get from it for DSOs. I decided on the Omni 102XLT, which is a little long (1000mm) for some folks, but overall, is a really nice scope (achromat) and the coloring is minimal. The scope with a CG4 EQ mount is under $500.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5615345 - 01/10/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Yes I am fortunate! If it were up to me I'd have the hubble on a pier! Unfortunately life got in the way and my issues are mobility. I'm a retired Firefighter and my body took a serious beating. I have considered a "building" but I've always been concerned with the long hot summers of burning heat and the effects of leaving a scope setup in the warmer months.

I keep mine in the shed all the time, so far no problems. It is a dryer climate here though. In a humid climate, maybe keep the base inside?? The OTA should be fine, expecially if you make a "stand" to keep it horizontal to prevent moisture buildup on the mirror. If you are in a dryer climate like Denver, CO; I'd just store the whole scope in the shed. If possible, I'd keep that 10" Dob. A shed can also be used for other things as well (just don't store gasoline or other caustic chemicals in the shed with the scope). With Power, you could set up that shed with some red lighting, etc...and have a really nice "observatory", even if you do have to move the scope outside.

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5615445 - 01/10/13 12:38 PM

Paul,
It sounds like you like your Dob, but want the convenience of a GOTO scope. It that's the case then why not keep the scope & invest in a good GOTO platform & a good power supply that you can plug into one of those numerous outlets? A lot of the new platforms are even designed to be used as a means to move the scope to where you want it. A whole lot cheaper than a completely new system, & the a lot less hassle than learning a completely different system of motions involved in a GEM, new setup procedure, i.e. leveling the mount, polar aligning the mount, AND then getting the GOTO system aligned to the sky so the GOTO's will work.
GEM's are a very different animal to learn to use, & not necessarily very intuitive.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Mark Costello
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #5615576 - 01/10/13 01:46 PM

Quote:

Power supply is not an issue. I have no less than 6 outlets spread out across my backyard. Weight is not too much of an issue provided of course it's not obsessive. It's the length and bulk of the tube. I have to carry it down a flight of stairs to set it up outside.

I don't live anywhere near a store or outlet where I can actually look at setups. At the moment I'm hedging toward a 8" SCT and from what I can see the weight and compact tube assemblies might be a good fit but since I can't physically see one I'm not sure

Astronomics and maybe some other shops have data on C8 tube assemblies and complete C8 rigs that might help you get data on their weights. A C8 OTA weighs in at about 13 lb. A NextStar C8 rig is about 35 lb IIRC, and both the C8-SGT and CPC8 come in at a little under 60lb. There's a review of the C8 over on Astromart, written by "Eddgie" which has some photos of the OTA, it's an eye-opener to look at the OTA sitting next to a 80mm short tube refractor....

Hope this helps....

S.Boerner
sage

Reged: 04/29/10

Loc: Eastern Missouri
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5615618 - 01/10/13 02:13 PM

If you can live with the nudge, nudge, nudge but want to find things faster consider making Dave Ek's digital setting circles
http://eksfiles.net/digital-setting-circles/

If you go the capacitance based encoder route you can get Push-To on your scope for less than $150. I did it to both my 40 year old C8 and alt/az Berry mount.

You'd still be limited in astrophotography, but hooked to a laptop or tablet you could find those faint fuzzies much faster than you'd ever dreamed.

paulr57

Reged: 01/09/13

Loc: Asheboro, NC
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: Seldom]
      #5615969 - 01/10/13 06:07 PM

Wow thanks for the response! You've given me some new things to ponder. One question about a shed with a removable top. I have an 10x12 that is pretty much unused but I'd have to move it about 100ft. I'm thinking someone with a decent size forklift might be able to do that.
My question is can the existing roof be retrofitted for would I need to tear the roof down and rebuild it from the rail up?

Doc Bob
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/27/09

Loc: Maryland, USA
      #5615990 - 01/10/13 06:18 PM

Paul!
Build out an observatory!! You have all of the necessary space and "stuff". That Dob and/or another "go-to" scope ( I like the Celestron CPC1100) would be really nice - permanently set-up ready for instant use!

Enviously,
Bob

paulr57

Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: howard929]
      #5615998 - 01/10/13 06:21 PM

I'm still motivated to move the Dob around and over the years it's has made more than one vacation trip with me.

Now that a shed with a removable roof has entered my brain patterns it opens up some possibilities that appeal to me. I'm going to look at some mounts capable of holding the Dob. Anyone here have a bigger Dob on a eq mount?

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5616068 - 01/10/13 07:00 PM

Not certain how you are with a little engineering and tools, but you could mount the current roof structure with a brace and wheel/bearing system and a rail for it to ride on (will require sinking posts w/cement using those cardboard tubes & cement) You could add a little "skirt" around the bottom edge of the roof to keep out the wind/rain. On the sides that will ride on the rails, just make cutouts where the rails will run through. If your're real energetic, you could make "caps" for the end of rail piece. (Be sure to put some kind of stop at the end of rail, or being out in the open sky will no longer be a problem). Or, just tear out the current roof (please brace the shed sides first) install a flat, sturdy plywood roof with a hole big enough for an observatory dome. For the dome, well.....I've seen some reviews on Cloudy Nights.....

Quinn

Reged: 03/19/12

Loc: California, Los Angeles
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5616680 - 01/11/13 04:30 AM

Hey Paul

NeilMac has an idea there. Now a small observatory would be nice. However even a small tool shed, that can be locked and secure, along with a good hand cart would be worth investigation. Probably save a few dollars over the cost of a SCT and mount.

If you like your 10" dob I don't know what would replace it that would be all that much easier to drag/drop down a flight of stairs. 10" SCT is going to weight just a couple of pound less but it will be half the length. The mount will be heavier though. You will be looking at a few trips up n down the stairs.

Added just after I posted. Definitely get a shed or if you have the funds an observatory. Even if you get a different rig. Even if it is a bit lighter. I think you deserve to make the most of your hobby/avocation. Fireman! Yea I'd say you earned it. Humping Kit up n down stairs... This is supposed to be enjoyable. and the easier you make it the more you are going to want to go out there and do it.

All the best
to you and yours
Quinn

Quote:

SO you have a Haven that we would all drool over

Building a small observatory might be your best bet, would be nice not have to setup each time and just slide the roof off.

Edited by Quinn (01/11/13 04:58 AM)

paulr57

Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: Quinn]
      #5616902 - 01/11/13 09:23 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I've now moved an observatory to the number one spot. I can keep my existing scope (and use it a lot!) and solve my mobility issues in one swoop!

I'm not "construction" oriented but I have friends who are truly gifted in this area. I'll browse the DIY sections here and see what I can find for modifications.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
      #5617214 - 01/11/13 12:44 PM

Quote:

I'm still motivated to move the Dob around and over the years it's has made more than one vacation trip with me.

Now that a shed with a removable roof has entered my brain patterns it opens up some possibilities that appeal to me. I'm going to look at some mounts capable of holding the Dob. Anyone here have a bigger Dob on a eq mount?

Check out this post.
Re: DSO Telescope Viewing Sizes

Jon Isaacs has a 12 inch. He is very helpful and may be able to give you some good advice. He has quite a bit of experience with different types of scopes and always helps folks including me in the beginners forum.

Good Luck

Ken

Edited by kenrenard (01/11/13 12:46 PM)

Motokid600

Reged: 06/27/10

Loc: Berlin, New Jersey
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5617240 - 01/11/13 12:57 PM

You know I said the same thing about AP when I first started out. Bought my cpc1100 with only observing in mind. BUT one night I got curious while looking at Orion. I took a *BLEEP* point and shoot, turned the exposure up, held it up to the eyepiece as steady as i could. .. I was blown away. Instantly addicted. So all I can say is.. keep an open mind and future proof your resources. As the others have said you have an astronomers wet dream for a backyard. Go to town on an observatory.

TexasRed
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/11

Loc: East Texas
Re: Overwhelmed! [Re: Motokid600]
      #5618602 - 01/12/13 08:37 AM

You asked if anyone had a 10" Newtonian or bigger on an EQ mount. I had one, but I sold it because I needed a ladder and the spine of a snake to use it. I also needed help to move it, and the tube was a wind sock.

I got one of Orion's "g" series for the automatic tracking and GoTo, but I only have to wheel it out onto my deck with a handtruck, which isn't hard. You wouldn't want to take it up or down stairs.

Look into one of Telegizmo's covers for leaving a scope in a shed.

You might also find a hand dolly and a long ramp easier to deal with than carrying anything up and down stairs.

maakhand
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/15/09

Loc: florida, usa
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: TexasRed]
      #5619972 - 01/12/13 10:55 PM

hi and welcome to the forum. one idea not yet mentioned here is to have your scope converted to "ultra light" by Dennis of dobstuff. he can install sky commander and servocat for you too.

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: maakhand]
      #5620156 - 01/13/13 03:11 AM

I bought one of those metal kit sheds some time ago. 8x10.

On sale, it was under 300.00 dollars. The base was about 50 dollars worth of wood.

It is not a roll off roof, but it has a roll out Dob inside.

I used to lug my 16 inch up the basement stairs.

The 350 dollars for the shed was the best money I ever spent in this hobby.

jake

drewp
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/19/07

Loc: 41.5 deg north moline ill
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: northernontario]
      #5620860 - 01/13/13 01:59 PM

i like the idea of a roll off roof for shed/observatory. id do one myself if i had your skys and back yard room. as far as goto is concerned why not go with digital setting circles for your dob?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1670

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics