Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
jaddbd
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Woodbine, MD
Re: Understanding STF-8300M & STT-8300M new [Re: pfile]
      #5744153 - 03/19/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

but i didn't really want to become a G11 mechanic.

I'm sorry but for me that is the line of the day. As a long time previous owner of one I think I qualified as "certified" (in more ways than one). Kidding aside I actually had good luck with mine but a AT10RC at F8 became too much for the old horse.

Sorry to get off topic,

John D

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Understanding STF-8300M & STT-8300M new [Re: korborh]
      #5744169 - 03/19/13 10:38 PM

yes FW8G-STT OAG. the stars are pretty tight either way, but it just looks a tad better with the AO. i don't have FWHM measurements. i'm talking about 30 minute Ha exposures here.

pfile
Post Laureate

Re: Understanding STF-8300M & STT-8300M new [Re: jaddbd]
      #5744255 - 03/19/13 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

but i didn't really want to become a G11 mechanic.

I'm sorry but for me that is the line of the day. As a long time previous owner of one I think I qualified as "certified" (in more ways than one). Kidding aside I actually had good luck with mine but a AT10RC at F8 became too much for the old horse.

Sorry to get off topic,

John D

we aim to please (so please aim)

actually now that i have another mount i feel less worried about working on the G11. i didn't want to be in a situation where i screwed up the worm alignment/position and then could not get it back... and then had no mount.

at some point i have to put it on the tripod and replace the worm (scott sent me a new one...)

jerryyyyy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/11

Loc: Stanford, California
      #5744301 - 03/20/13 01:11 AM

After all this interesting discussion, I took a good look at my last images with my Atlas and the FR on the C8 and I do not think there is much I can do to improve the guiding.. stars are nice and round. I think I need to take the FR off and see how well it guides without that distortion creating tool...

jerryyyyy
Pooh-Bah

Re: Understanding STF-8300M & STT-8300M new [Re: jerryyyyy]
      #5754058 - 03/24/13 01:51 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

PS, have moved up (or down) to -30C and happy with results. I am still working on a lot of technical issues, but this is one 10m frame.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Understanding STF-8300M & STT-8300M new [Re: mmalik]
      #5778982 - 04/05/13 04:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

SBIG makes only Kodak. They invested lot of time and effort into learning how to handle these beasts. SONY is completely different level. They would have to invest significant amount of manpower costs, lot of time and really lot of money, to investigate how to use/handle signals of Sony chips. Also, Sony is a company hard to deal with, hard to do business with. Their chips are also very expensive so the margin/gain/net income from such cameras is low. On the other side, Kodak is, made in USA (tradition), you get complete and full documentation and maybe sometimes even support (though not perfect). So you get all this from Kodak, but the truth is, the chips are obsolete, nowadays... that's just how it is, the fact.

Atik seems to be well diversified in their chip offerings, I see no reason why SBIG shouldn’t or couldn’t? Given Kodak is getting old, I would say it will be well advised for SBIG to invest in and introduce Sony into the mix. I get it…; ‘Sony’ may be ‘tiny’, the chip that is, but the ‘tiny’ is newer at least and will make for a lighter/slimmer/cheaper/agile camera/s for SBIG among the long line-up of heavier/heftier/expensive Kodak cameras.

While 8300 may be the bread and butter of SBIG, my pet peeve is that it is pricey and heavy, especially if one factors in the filter wheel and other accessories. That’s NOT to say well tested and reputable 8300 has to go away; it can hold the fort for however long it can. I think time has come for relatively cheaper/lighter yet high performing cameras & even lighter filter wheels which could be sold in even larger quantities to reap bigger profits.

Talking of ‘tiny’ Sony, is there or will Sony make anything bigger than their highly touted ICX694? Shouldn’t Kodak be renewing their older looking chip line-up; maybe come up with a NEWER equivalent of ICX694 but in a larger size? Will they?

References:
Truesense Imaging (Kodak)...
EXview HAD CCD II (Sony)...

While we are on the subject, following is Atik diversity at a glance:

ICX=Sony
KA*=Kodak

EDIT: Old Atik chart removed...

With the release of Atik 490EX, a fresh look at the ATIK, encompassing KAF-8300; SONY remains 'tiny' with ICX814, regardless:

mmalik
Postmaster

#5849203 - 05/09/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

@jerryyyyy... They also have to worry about how what they do affects that crazy complex filter wheel.

There has been talk about 8300M driver issues and 'Self-Guiding Filter Wheel' concerns lately [in other, link1..., link2... and in this thread as well]. Was wondering if someone, possibly SBIG, could sum up what's going on especially in the context of their latest offering STT-8300M and 'FW8-STT Self-Guiding Filter Wheel' as it relates to such issues and concerns; technical/driver level details will be appreciated as to where things stand. Thanks in advance. Regards

Edited by mmalik (05/09/13 02:18 AM)

MattThomas
Vendor (SBIG)

Reged: 07/28/06

#5849849 - 05/09/13 11:30 AM

Quote:

There has been talk about 8300M driver issues and 'Self-Guiding Filter Wheel' concerns lately [in other, link1..., link2... and in this thread as well]. Was wondering if someone, possibly SBIG, could sum up what's going on especially in the context of their latest offering STT-8300M and 'FW8-STT Self-Guiding Filter Wheel' as it relates to such issues and concerns; technical/driver level details will be appreciated as to where things stand. Thanks in advance. Regards

One of your links was not a driver issue - but turned out to be a software configuration issue with MaxIm.

We did upgrade to a new version of the Microsoft developer tools recently and this caused a lot of problems - but those are resolved now.

There was also a problem recently discovered with MaxIm/DL when using the AO with the STT. The problem was a result of MaxIm/DL terminating all of the exposures 0.2 to 0.5 seconds early. This caused a problem in the camera firmware that resulted in a black bar on the top of the image. This has been fixed via a firmware update - although until MaxIm releases an update the exposures will still be terminated early by an indeterminate amount of time.

I hope this helps.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Understanding STF-8300M & STT-8300M new [Re: MattThomas]
      #5850800 - 05/09/13 07:49 PM

Thanks Matt!

SubJimbo

Reged: 05/15/13

#5870775 - 05/19/13 05:07 AM

Hey guys!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I need some advice. I have been reading extensively about a CCD for my setup.

I have a CGEM Mount with 11" OTA and an Orion 80mm Guidescope. I also have a NexGuide Autoguider (which I will sell, its not very good @ my sky site at all, I want something to connect to my laptop.)

I love the look & review on the SX Lodestar, but then I am looking at the self guiding filter wheel on the STT-8300 package...

Because of the 2800mm FL of my scope, would I be better off the with the Guiding filter wheel, or another guider to use my 80mm scope with?

pfile
Post Laureate

Re: Understanding STF-8300M & STT-8300M new [Re: SubJimbo]
      #5871608 - 05/19/13 02:24 PM

imho you're going to be a lot happier with an OAG if you're running 2800mm. if you can't eliminate all your sources of flexure you're going to be pretty frustrated with the external guidescope.

jerryyyyy
Pooh-Bah

#5872410 - 05/19/13 08:34 PM

I have the OAG/filter wheel combo and it is a piece of cake to guide... up to 2032mm with my 8" C8. OAG comes off before the filters. Works fine with Maxim.

mmalik
Postmaster

#6085297 - 09/17/13 05:27 AM

Like many others I have been facing the dilemma of SBIG KAF-8300 vs. ATIK ICX694. Some questions I have regarding ATIK 460EX are, a) if one were to adapt 460EX without filter wheel to a 2" focuser system, what kind of adapter/nose piece would be needed, b) what size & type (mounted/un-mounted) narrowband filters 460EX accepts if one were using it without a filter wheel. Some pics to go along with answers will be greatly appreciated. Thx

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Understanding STF-8300M & STT-8300M new [Re: MattThomas]
      #6297245 - 01/06/14 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

SBIG makes only Kodak. They invested lot of time and effort into learning how to handle these beasts. SONY is completely different level. They would have to invest significant amount of manpower costs, lot of time and really lot of money, to investigate how to use/handle signals of Sony chips. Also, Sony is a company hard to deal with, hard to do business with. Their chips are also very expensive so the margin/gain/net income from such cameras is low. On the other side, Kodak is, made in USA (tradition), you get complete and full documentation and maybe sometimes even support (though not perfect). So you get all this from Kodak, but the truth is, the chips are obsolete, nowadays... that's just how it is, the fact.

Atik seems to be well diversified in their chip offerings, I see no reason why SBIG shouldn’t or couldn’t? Given Kodak is getting old, I would say it will be well advised for SBIG to invest in and introduce Sony into the mix. I get it…; ‘Sony’ may be ‘tiny’, the chip that is, but the ‘tiny’ is newer at least and will make for a lighter/slimmer/cheaper/agile camera/s for SBIG among the long line-up of heavier/heftier/expensive Kodak cameras.

While 8300 may be the bread and butter of SBIG, my pet peeve is that it is pricey and heavy, especially if one factors in the filter wheel and other accessories. That’s NOT to say well tested and reputable 8300 has to go away; it can hold the fort for however long it can. I think time has come for relatively cheaper/lighter yet high performing cameras & even lighter filter wheels which could be sold in even larger quantities to reap bigger profits.

This is more of a question for Matt; with QSI... coming out with SONY chips [QSI 628 (ICX 674)/QSI 660 (ICX 694)/QSI 690 (ICX 814)] was wondering if SBIG would consider adding such SONY chips to the lineup? Regards

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, droid, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9498

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics