Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
MacDougal

Reged: 11/24/05

CGEM refinishing counter weights - replacing bolts
      #5618844 - 01/12/13 11:20 AM

I have a used CGEM I just received with 2-11 lb. and 1-17 lb. counterweights. I would like to refinish some of the counterweights, maybe all of them. One or two of the bolts that hold the counterweights to the counterweight bar also need to be replaced. Is there a paint (epoxy?) that can add a tough finish to the weights? Not sure where to get replacement knobs/bolts for the weights. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: CGEM refinishing counter weights - replacing bolts new [Re: MacDougal]
      #5618862 - 01/12/13 11:27 AM

epoxy primer is plenty tough.. you can get replacement bolts with rosette knobs from mcmaster-carr. i don't know what is the thread size of the bolts though. and they have a hard plastic tip to prevent marring the counterweight shaft.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGEM refinishing counter weights - replacing bolts new [Re: MacDougal]
      #5619232 - 01/12/13 03:03 PM

Take them to a local powder coater and have them stripped and refinished. Shouldn't cost very much (I use a shop that would probably do them for less than $20 a piece). You will get a much more durable finish and can even go with some fun colors or textures. There are a lot of online sources for knobs, but metric threads with nylon tips may be challenging to find.

MacDougal

Reged: 11/24/05

Re: CGEM refinishing counter weights - replacing bolts new [Re: EFT]
      #5619258 - 01/12/13 03:17 PM

Thanks Ed great suggestion... BTW I purchase a used CGEM that you hypertuned and added precision worm and gear for the RA axis. What a super job! I had no idea this mount could be this smooth. My next new mount I know where to go <smile> I am so pleased with the excellent work you do

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 415

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics