Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Drilling holes in XT8 Dob new [Re: Allan...]
      #5629830 - 01/18/13 12:04 PM

Quote:

I was wondering how best to (if I dare) drill a hole in my XT8 OTA....would like to put on one of those rubber navigation knobs on the top end (like the ones that come with the Intelliscopes and even on the XT4.5). Not sure why they left them off the classic models. I find that grabbing the tube isn't the best method. Think the knob would simplify things. I have visions of starting the drill bit and having it SLIP and oops....one nasty scratch on the OTA. One cant really expect to use a centre punch to start the hole. Anyone got any fool proof methods up their sleeve? thanks, Clare

Be careful, its a slippery slope. Yea, it all starts out with a drill bit; before you know it, you'll be using chain saws and arc welders...........

To be truthful, I use that knob maybe 30% of the time. Usually AFTER i've gotten the object in the FOV for nudging.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
Re: Drilling holes in XT8 Dob new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5633778 - 01/20/13 06:55 PM

I've drilled a hole in my XT8 for a wire to pass through to a homemade secondary dew heater. I did not remove either the primary or secondary. I put the scope in horizontal position, with the open end slightly pointed towards the ground. I used a sharp drill bit and was able to drill the hole very quickly with no trouble at the size I wanted the first time. There were very few shavings, but they were easy to sweep out and none got on the secondary or even near the primary.

I was nervous about this but fortunate to have an experienced friend from my astro club help me out.

Good luck!

Allan...
sage

Reged: 10/24/12

Loc: Penticton B.C. Canada
Re: Drilling holes in XT8 Dob new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5657076 - 02/01/13 08:19 PM

I got up the nerve today to drill the 1/4" hole in the OTA of my XT8. Masking tape; made up a jig, and started with a very small drill bit; and moved slowly upwards until I ended up with 1/4". The OTA was surpisingly tough to drill through; (either that or my drill bits were very dull..lol). Pointed it downward to avoid filings inside; removed the outer trim ring and did the deed. The finished product is great; now all I need is clear skies...! Thanks, Clare

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
      #5657085 - 02/01/13 08:22 PM

Quote:

I got up the nerve today to drill the 1/4" hole in the OTA of my XT8. Masking tape; made up a jig, and started with a very small drill bit; and moved slowly upwards until I ended up with 1/4". The OTA was surpisingly tough to drill through; (either that or my drill bits were very dull..lol). Pointed it downward to avoid filings inside; removed the outer trim ring and did the deed. The finished product is great; now all I need is clear skies...! Thanks, Clare

Clare,
I agree it was tough I thought as well. I had a pretty sharp bit. The handle is really nice I find myself using it all the time. Glad you got the hole drilled.

Ken

Allan...
sage

Re: Drilling holes in XT8 Dob new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5657086 - 02/01/13 08:23 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

I got up the nerve today to drill the 1/4" hole in the OTA (started off smaller and moved slowly upwards toward the 1/4"); used masking tape, made a wooden jig and all went well. The OTA was surprisinly tough to drill through (either that or my drill bits were very dull...lol). All worked out in the end. Navigation knob installed and looks great. Now all I need is clear skies to try it out. thanks, Clare

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #5657390 - 02/01/13 11:40 PM

if i was to put one on i would choose the 3:00 position, was thinking about it a few days ago. the 6:00 position i rarely use and normally move it from the side position.

Allan...
sage

Re: Drilling holes in XT8 Dob new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5658443 - 02/02/13 04:27 PM

Neil, if you have an XT8I, you should have one on your scope already. Isn't it in about the 5:30 O'clock position? Mine is in around 5 O'clock position, a bit closer to the spider van knob than I wanted but its exactly where the Manufacturer reccommended to put it (2" down and 2.5" toward you, from the bottom seam). It works fine for me. I think that if I had put it at 3 o'clock, my arm would get cramped from being bent at the elbow too much. Just my thoughts on it. Personal preference, obviously. I didn't want to get too close to that bottom seam when drilling. Clare

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5658449 - 02/02/13 04:31 PM

yes, its at 6 oclock position. Il check next time.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5659824 - 02/03/13 11:49 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

yup 5:30 is the standard.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2609

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics