Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: Toronto
Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: Lightning]
      #5618608 - 01/12/13 08:46 AM

Cam,

Thanks and that's a good call for somebody who isn't familiar with all the different Nikon models. Apparently Adorama in NYC is liquidating their D5100 for only $419 (NEW!) to make room for the new D5200. But like you said, the D5100 has the great 16 MP sensor of the D7000 and the articulated LCD screen is really a back saver for astroimaging. For Canon people this is equivalent to the T3i.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: Jim Chung]
      #5618966 - 01/12/13 12:19 PM

Quote:

Cam,

Thanks and that's a good call for somebody who isn't familiar with all the different Nikon models. Apparently Adorama in NYC is liquidating their D5100 for only $419 (NEW!) to make room for the new D5200. But like you said, the D5100 has the great 16 MP sensor of the D7000 and the articulated LCD screen is really a back saver for astroimaging. For Canon people this is equivalent to the T3i.

I'll tell you what Jim... at $419 for a new D5100 body I'm giving you the green light to go get one and modify it. If you can MONOfy a new D5100 with success I'll purchase your first D5100 monofied camera as long as the monofied camera does not show any sign of amp glow on a 10 minute dark frame post modification; that's my only requirement for a D5100.

Send me a PM and we can talk $.

Guylain

Lightning
sage

Reged: 07/04/10

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: guyroch]
      #5619895 - 01/12/13 10:06 PM

There's a chance I may win my bid on ebay for one too. Even if I don't get it I'll be aiming to pick up this camera for a while yet - it's awesome. Once I get one I'm keen to send it to you for modification.

Question, does this remove the micro-lens array? Given that you gain a full f-stop it's probably irrelevant, but I'm just curious.

Cheers,
Cam

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome [Re: Lightning]
      #5620201 - 01/13/13 05:35 AM

Yes, the microlens layer is also removed.

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

#5625735 - 01/16/13 07:52 AM

Well, it was supposed to be clear last night and then the forecast changed rapidly and it wasnt. And no prospects for at least a week.

SO the only new news I can offer is that I going to offer my current stock for sale:

Nikon D50 with original box and all original accessories and 2 extra batteries with 17200 shutter actuations. $425

Nikon D40 with only 4800 actuations but no accessories, one battery. $375

Nikon D90 with original box and accessories, 12000 actuations. $650

These cameras have no glass covering the mono modified sensor so care must be taken to keep the camera body sealed between uses with body cap (The D90 does have the vibrating dust reduction window present so the sensor is protected) Autofocus is not calibrated. Must shoot in RAW and extract data without color interpolation via open source software such as dcraw.

Shipping & handling will be extra, about $35-40 throughout North America via Canada Post.

The cameras currently work perfectly .... but they are at least 8 years old with an unknown history of previous ownership (meaning who knows how they were previously treated). There is no warranty implied, this is an opportunity to try true digital B&W imaging at a small cost, a tiny fraction of the $8000 Leica Monochrom or if you can find them the $5000 Kodak 760M. You can check out my feedback on Amart to know I am an honest and ethical vendor.

Edited by Jim Chung (01/16/13 07:56 AM)

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5625818 - 01/16/13 09:11 AM

Jim,

The brand new D5100 I purchased this weekend is late begin delivered. The ebay seller said one of his employee sold his last in-store unit the same day I purchased it from him on ebay. Anyhow, he is due to get his next shipment from Nikon early next week and will ship me the new D5100 then. I'll send it your way immediately to get it MONOfied. You'll be cracking open a brand new Nikon this time Looking forward to getting it back from you

Guylain

Alfredo Beltran
sage

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Bogota, Colombia
      #5626996 - 01/16/13 08:49 PM

Hi Jim

It would be really interesting to see a MONOFIED Canon because the accesories and software of most of us are made for Canon

Any plans of doing so?

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: Alfredo Beltran]
      #5627094 - 01/16/13 09:56 PM

Alfredo,

That appears to be the general consensus too. I may go back and attempt again with Canon sensors, I had little luck with the five 10D sensors that I destroyed. If people support me with purchasing the converted Nikons then I will have some extra development funds to go forwards and experiment with the Canons some more.

A little mea culpa here, this Icodome venture is just for fun and the challenge of accomplishing something for fellow astro enthusiasts. I don't need it to make a living, I have another profession during the day.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: Alfredo Beltran]
      #5627146 - 01/16/13 10:30 PM

Quote:

Hi Jim

It would be really interesting to see a MONOFIED Canon because the accesories and software of most of us are made for Canon

Any plans of doing so?

Ah, that is about to change. BackyardEOS is about to have a twin sister. I just purchased 4 Nikons DSLR. One of my project in 2013 is to release BackyardNIK to support Nikons DSLR.

Guylain

ValeryD
Vendor (Aries)

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Kherson, Ukraine.
      #5627355 - 01/17/13 02:09 AM

There is a nice and inexpensive now Canon 40D. Why not offer their modification?

Be sure, Canon market in astronomy is 20x or more as larger than all other brands together.

Nocturnal
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/14/05

Loc: CT, USA
Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: ValeryD]
      #5628014 - 01/17/13 12:38 PM

I've dreamed of removing the bayer matrix from my QHY8 for a while now. In fact I'm surprised no one here hasn't asked you yet to do the mod to Sony 453 based cameras. After all the QHY8 uses the sensor on the carrier from an old Nikon (I forget which model but I'm pretty sure you listed it).

I've long wanted a monochrome camera but always felt Sony sensors were superior to Kodak ones and Sony doesn't make large monochrome ones

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: Nocturnal]
      #5628192 - 01/17/13 02:29 PM

Sander,

I had the exact same thought a month ago since the QHY8 uses the same Sony ccd found in the Nikon D70/D80. Why not pick up a used one for say $800 and make it a monocamera. The Qhy8 was always a nice camera with excellent noise performance once cooled. I think I'll start looking around!

Jim

Edited by Jim Chung (01/17/13 02:44 PM)

Nocturnal
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/14/05

Loc: CT, USA
      #5628329 - 01/17/13 03:37 PM

Keep us posted Jim! There are tons of '8s and related cameras out there and more than a few of us must have lamented the fact we can't get the same camera in mono.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: Nocturnal]
      #5633025 - 01/20/13 11:29 AM

Ok,

Some lowered prices to clear my stock so I can raise some capital to purchase a QHY8 and a Nikon D5100.

The D50 is now only $375.

The D90 is now only $550. Both come with original boxes and all original accessories and extra batteries.

The D40 is sold.

I have another D40 with original box and stuff but the the right and up navigation buttons on the 4 way controller don't seem to work although you can still access all menu functions with the other two direction buttons. It seems to shoot fine with under 8k actuations but I'm suspicious of the previous owner passing me a iffy camera so I'll blow it out for costs - $180 <<sold>>

Jim

Edited by Jim Chung (01/21/13 09:28 AM)

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

#5635919 - 01/21/13 11:10 PM Attachment (76 downloads)

WOOOHOOOO! First real clear night in over 3 months, but verrry cccold at -12C!

Good test for the monofied Nikon D90, unguided 2 minute exposures for a total of one hour showing fantastic Ha cloud details that would never be captured with a conventional Bayer layered DSLR in such a short integration period. Image shrunk 50% to fit size constraints and mask the lousy unguided star shapes!

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5637920 - 01/22/13 10:42 PM

Nice shoot Jim with the D90.

I just got my brand new D5100 today. I took a 10 minutes dark frame and it shows no sign of amp glow or light leak; which I was expecting for a D5100.

I'm also very impress with the amount of noise (or lack thereof) on the 10 minutes dark frame at about 22 degrees Celsius ~ almost no noise at all

You'll be cracking open a brand new D5100 with a whooping 1 shutter actuation

Can you send me a PM with your complete address and I'll ship the camera as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Guylain

Edited by guyroch (01/23/13 06:55 AM)

JoseBorrero
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/04/09

Loc: Puerto Rico Island
      #5639132 - 01/23/13 03:48 PM

Anytime soon backyardnik?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrome new [Re: JoseBorrero]
      #5639784 - 01/23/13 11:37 PM

Quote:

Anytime soon backyardnik?

Sometimes in the second half of 2013. This is still a weekend/weeknight thingy for me so time is my enemy for sure

Thanks for asking.

Guylain

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

#5644410 - 01/26/13 01:29 PM

The D90 is now <<sold>>.

Only a single D50 is left $375 or open to offers. ((pending))

Jim

Edited by Jim Chung (01/26/13 08:27 PM)

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #5644822 - 01/26/13 05:57 PM

30x2 minutes canon 450d modified

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10637

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics