Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5620898 - 01/13/13 02:17 PM

I bought and sold quitea few EPs on my way to my own personal Nirvana.

I have now what I consider to be the optimum set which is a set of UOs, two Pentax XWs and two EPs. Between them they cover al my scope options if not oerfectly then at least to a level tha pleases me.

I also have some EPs I never use ( Baader GOs and a TAL 25mm ) good as they are I dont like them much bu wont sell just in case.

It took me a few years to get to what I wanted, trying out different stuff, but I am happy now with what I have and consider myself fortunate to be able to afford the gear I have.

Contentment is a precious gift, finding it isn't always easy, and sometimes impossible bu I found peace and contentment eventually. May you all acheive the same

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5620904 - 01/13/13 02:21 PM

Quote:

Jon,

Quote:

SCTs are considered "jack of all trades" because they are competent for both visual and astrophotography. A good Newtonian, a good apochromatic refractor, these are very capable of providing the excellent views of all classes of objects...

I don't do AP, don't think I ever will. And I want a scope that is hopefully better than merely "competent" for the task at hand. So no SCTs so far.

High-end APO's are above my paygrade. $1000 per inch? No, sir, not happening here.

So that leaves "a good Newtonian." Excellent choice!

Mike

A 150 eyepieces... take 70 of those, sell them for $30 each and there's enough to buy top of the line 4 inch apo used, a very good 120mm New...

Me, I stumble around finding neat stuff and not so neat stuff by accident.

On a serious note, in terms of the original thread... If eyepieces are important to you, if you really look through them and enjoy the differences the way Bill P. does, that's not a problem, that's enjoying a certain aspect of this hobby. Bill collects and covets eyepieces because he enjoys looking through them and he sees the minor differences. It's a plus because it enhances the observing experience.

I imagine there are some who are caught up in the consumeritis of eyepieces... That can be a problem...

Jon

Monoeil

Reged: 08/01/11

Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: pstarr]
      #5620959 - 01/13/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

At some point in this hobby you will find that quality optics and good seeing are the key to good views. Most premium eyepieces will not degrade what the objective in your scope can deliver. Once you find out what kind of eyepiece you like, be it wide angle or those with narrower afov, 3 eyepieces would serve the average observer very well. On the other hand, if you think the eyepiece is the key to good views or just want to collect them, have at it. This forum is your kind of place. I have a mere 8 main eyepieces and a Barlow.

3 eyepieces, this is exactly what I own and use. Less to carry, less to worry about.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5620999 - 01/13/13 02:57 PM

Jon,

Quote:

A 150 eyepieces... take 70 of those, sell them for $30 each and there's enough to buy top of the line 4 inch apo used, a very good 120mm New...

I did have 150 eyepieces ... now I only have 100! The sale of those 50 eyepieces and other equipment netted me about $2500. But that went to pay off debt and add a few choice eyepieces: three XW's, a couple XO's, Brandon 24, Titan II 40, and such. And I'm constantly thinking about which eyepieces should be sold among those that remain.

I doubt if an APO will ever be in my future. I can't bring myself to pay so much money for so little aperture!

Mike

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5621062 - 01/13/13 03:28 PM

Quote:

On a serious note, in terms of the original thread... If eyepieces are important to you, if you really look through them and enjoy the differences the way Bill P. does, that's not a problem, that's enjoying a certain aspect of this hobby. Bill collects and covets eyepieces because he enjoys looking through them and he sees the minor differences. It's a plus because it enhances the observing experience.

I imagine there are some who are caught up in the consumeritis of eyepieces... That can be a problem...

Jon

Eyepieces are not my life. I buy them and use them and sell them because I can't afford to go out and get 60 or 70 of them.....so I have fun with them sometimes for a year or two, and that would be nice ones I like. The not so nice ones go up for sale to buy something else to try. Is there a problem with that? I don't think so.

The ones I do like get used a lot. As for what you said about Bill P., anybody can look through his eyepiece history on here or A-Mart and clearly see he has bought and sold many as well.....And I have seen some of his posts where he says, "These are keepers", and then you see them sold. There is nothing wrong with that either. Many others have quoted that as well, and you see the eyepieces sold.

I also see major and minor differences in eyepieces myself as do many others.

Quote:

And just who is getting uptight now...

Uptight? I said "LOL" in my last post, which was funny....nobody is uptight here Jon except for you saying "I do things for real and I don't dream." Geeze bro, I merely made a post for fun, and you're taking things a bit too seriously here.

I'm far from being caught up in "consuermeritis" and get out whenever I can with star maps, red lights etc and view whenever I can as I really enjoy this hobby. I know that was directed at me....doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Jon.

Cheers,

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5621075 - 01/13/13 03:38 PM

Quote:

And I have seen some of his posts where he says, "These are keepers", and then you see them sold. There is nothing wrong with that either. Many others have quoted that as well, and you see the eyepieces sold.

Unfortunately, fiscal realities set in No way of keeping the old keepers and also trying new things...so gotta let goodies go unfortunately. Would love to have my Brandon's back, Nagler Zoom, 32mm Konig II, the complete set of UO Konigs I had actually, my beloved Meade 3000 Plossls, the 32mm and 40mm Meade 4000 smoothies, my complete 1.25" TV Circle-NJ smoothies, the RKEs I put chromed barrels on, my set of 1980's Celestron Orthos and Erfles, etc.

Part of the issue is also that the observer changes over time as well. We are never who we once were but grow and change always. So what one likes often changes as they change. And since the eyepiece is such a personal part of the telescope, like a coat or glove, as we change then so must the eyepiece. It is an interesting journey for sure. I often wonder what does it mean when one comes to the end of their eyepiece journey and no longer feel the need for new and different eyepieces? Perhaps it means that we come to the end of our changing so no longer feel the need. Whatever the reason, I feel it has more to do with ourselves than with the equipment.

Right now though...searching for things to sell as I really want to give the Paradigms/HD60s/X-Cel LXs a run...and of course want the BCOs with Turret also.

I am fairly confident that the XWs will stick around...at least until someone makes something as good in a smaller form factor. My planetaries as well will probably stick around as they are perfection...although the 7mm SMC Ortho might say goodbye if I can find a 7 Supermono. But the 5XO, 6ZAO, 8/10/12 AP-SPLs I have are quite the perfectionists for planetary, and excel over anything I place against them. In the end...an eyepiece is a "keeper" as long as it is not surpassed by another...so the distinction is many times not as long lived as they might hope.

Edited by BillP (01/13/13 03:47 PM)

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5621076 - 01/13/13 03:39 PM

I must be a slacker. Sixteen eyepieces, and six of those are in binoviewer pairs. so really just 13 specific designs and focal length. So why is there about $2800 tied up in my eyepiece case? Must have something to do with names like Ethis, Delos, Brandon, ES, etc.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5621195 - 01/13/13 04:41 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

C'mon guys! Play nice, we are all friends here .

Yes, I definitely had an eyepiece problem. 'Had' because I believe I am slowly recovering. I have been through 60+ this year but my current holdings show 23 units. One major factor that slowed down my high-level of consumeritis was realizing that I need to wear my glasses while observing more often than not, so that has skewed my EP tastes to those with more ER, thereby sharply reducing the number of contestants in the field of EPs for me. Secondly, that I needed to settle down and just observe more! So I've been doing just that.

My my my what a quick evolution though! 3/25/12 lineup:

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: Starman81]
      #5621196 - 01/13/13 04:42 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

And the family portrait take on 1/5/13:

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5621227 - 01/13/13 04:59 PM

I have about 60 EP's at this point. The ones I use the most are the XW's mainly because they're portable with confidence; Vangaurd case and Bolt's, and my only observations this winter have been at my dark site. While the observatory is being built I don't have a good place to observe from. By and large I prefer getting sets of EP's and viewing with sets; I like the continuity in size, AFOV, wieght, and texture. I always bring a wide field and a narrow field set for more variety. Although the opinion expressed that the greatest joy is in the object itself, there is quite a different joy, not mutually exclusive, in the joy of fine tools and instruments.

I also have a number of telescopes and one set while perfect for one scope, may not be the best for another. In addition, I usually set two scopes up either on different mounts for different targets, or more often both copes on the same mount with either a ADM dual saddle kit, or the innate dual scope ability of the iOptron MiniTower II. One scope is always a refractor :-)

On a more personal EP note I recently sold off my ES 82's and 68's to purchase a set of TV's to observe with. I really enjoyed those ES's EP's, and although, financially, I could have kept them. I knew I would be using them far less than they deserved and their AFOV and FL ranges were far to similar to the planned TV EP's. I kept very good are of those EP, and a good number of lucky astronomers got a LNIB EP for a super price, especially I this ES EP drought :-) It's just good Karma!

I'm awaiting my ES100/25mm soon, and on the look out for the right Naglers to build a set with. Unfortunately, unlike my other sets, I can't afford all the EP's in the line of Naglers :-( so I have a combination of EP that work together rather than all the EP's in a line; excepting the Panoptics

Oh yeah, back on topic. I don't consider myself having a problem with EP's, although I don't make much distinction between 'need' and 'want', which is precisely where folks feel that they get into problems.

Edited by MRNUTTY (01/13/13 05:15 PM)

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5621245 - 01/13/13 05:05 PM

Nice eyepiece pron!

Cheers,

BillP
Postmaster

#5621310 - 01/13/13 05:40 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Quote:

I have about 60 EP's at this point. ...

That's a good number I used to have a slew also but then reduced to about the number I have now and just trade in and out. Right now 28 eyepieces and 5 Barlows.

Primaries are (pictured):

XWs - 40,20,14,10,7,5
Sterlings - 25,20,17,12.5 + Brandon 8 + Owls - 9,6
Planetaries - 4TMB ,5XO ,6ZAO ,7SMC, 8,10,12 AP-SPL (far right)
Titan 40 (use with the Plossl set)
And the Barlow collection - 2" Siebert 4x, 2.7x APM ED, 2X TV, 2.5x Siebert, 2.8x Klee in Zoomset.

Edited by BillP (01/13/13 05:44 PM)

BillP
Postmaster

Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: BillP]
      #5621314 - 01/13/13 05:42 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Then some others I like to use now and then...

Russell Konigs - 21, 14, 12, 10
40 MEade 3000
28mm Edmind (1-1/8")
GSO 2x

Edited by BillP (01/13/13 05:42 PM)

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5621331 - 01/13/13 05:54 PM

LOL! I have exactly the same Tiki/Easter Island head set. The nice thing they're parfocal :-)

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

#5621375 - 01/13/13 06:16 PM

Happy birthday Bill!

planet earth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5621391 - 01/13/13 06:26 PM

Happy Birthday Bill.
Another Capricorn eh!
Sam

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: planet earth]
      #5621400 - 01/13/13 06:33 PM

What kind of FOV do you get with those tiki heads?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5621407 - 01/13/13 06:38 PM

The knowledge contained in those tiki heads spans eons and is as vast as the skies themselves.......

sounded pretty good anywho...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? [Re: csrlice12]
      #5621410 - 01/13/13 06:39 PM

On the other hand;

My tiki god's FOV is so fat that................

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Do you have an eyepiece problem? [Re: csrlice12]
      #5621420 - 01/13/13 06:43 PM

More eyepiece Pron !!!!

Nice pics....and a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me too Bill!

Cheers,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
31 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2946
Calendar Event: 01/12/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC