Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors
      #5622456 - 01/14/13 10:53 AM

How would I pack a pristine, coated primary mirror for shipping via commercial carrier cross-country? I dread the development of sleeks on the coated surface on the bumpy over-the-road trip and associated handling.

Iím pretty comfortable about creating the tight-fitting, firm, foam packing cut to the mirrorís dimensions with at least 2 inches of padding on all sides. The mirror should not be permitted to jiggle inside the packing.

The part I donít understand is what I can safely place in direct contact with the meticulously cleaned coating in order to isolate it from the foam. Coated telescope mirrors seem to me to sleek with the slightest abrasion by any dry object.

Mirror coaters apparently do this successfully all the time. Iíd like to know their secret.
------
C

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whoapiglet

Reged: 08/07/12

Loc: Denver
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: Cames]
      #5622472 - 01/14/13 11:06 AM

when I have had mirrors shipped to me they have come with the encapsulating foam (some use nerf balls cut in half) and the mirror was covered with either cotton balls or surgical cotton squares, covered by thick cardboard or particle board (pegboard type w/o the holes)cut tot he diameter of the mirror, which was then taped to the sides of the mirror so it can't shift in relation to the mirror surface.

I'm sure there are other ways but I never had any problems with sleeks or other damage this way.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: Whoapiglet]
      #5622490 - 01/14/13 11:21 AM

http://www.loptics.com/intheshop/shop21.html

It's how mine came.

Bill

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5622506 - 01/14/13 11:29 AM

Quote:

How would I pack a pristine, coated primary mirror for shipping via commercial carrier cross-country? I dread the development of sleeks on the coated surface on the bumpy over-the-road trip and associated handling.

Spectrum Coatings has excellent instructions for packing a telescope mirror for shipping. Scroll down on the page this link opens and you'll come to clear instructions, accompanied by photographs, describing how to do it using ordinary sturdy boxes and inexpensive materials available at any big-box hardware store, plus a sheet of optical-quality paper to go directly against the mirror. By "optical-quality" paper, I simply mean a type of paper that won't abrade the mirror by direct contact, not necessarily something you'd use to clean optics with.

I followed these instructions when I shipped my 12" mirror for a lengthy three-leg journey from Raleigh NC to Portland, Or for refiguring, from Portland, Or to Deltona, Florida for coating by Spectrum, and from Deltona, Florida back to Raleigh, NC. by ordinary ground UPS.

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5622583 - 01/14/13 12:19 PM

A lintless tissue paper (resembling tracing paper) should be safe to place in contact with the optical surface. More than one layer is a good idea. Scotch or masking tape is advised to snugly wrap things so as to keep the tissue immobile. The tape need only be applied around the side of the mirror and/or the back side. On top of the tissue, which can be delicate, layers of other, more durable paper can then be wrapped (and snugged with tape, too, if desired.)

okieav8rModerator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5622595 - 01/14/13 12:30 PM

Quote:

A lintless tissue paper (resembling tracing paper) should be safe to place in contact with the optical surface. More than one layer is a good idea. Scotch or masking tape is advised to snugly wrap things so as to keep the tissue immobile. The tape need only be applied around the side of the mirror and/or the back side. On top of the tissue, which can be delicate, layers of other, more durable paper can then be wrapped (and snugged with tape, too, if desired.)

I wonder if the kind of tissue that is used inside gift boxes would work? Seems to me it would be ideal.

mark cowan
Vendor (Veritas Optics)

Reged: 06/03/05

Loc: salem, OR
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5622814 - 01/14/13 02:51 PM

No, absolutely not. It will attack the coating chemically.

Best,
Mark

Mike Lockwood
Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

Reged: 10/01/07

Loc: Usually in my optical shop
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: mark cowan]
      #5622859 - 01/14/13 03:12 PM

Bill posted a link above to my packing instructions.

Some important points:

1) Clean the mirror before packing.
2) Use acid-free paper if you care about the coating. It has no dyes, perfumes, etc. either. If it's going in for refiguring or recoating, it's not so important, but it is vital for bare glass or fresh coatings. Tape at the edge so it doesn't move.
3) Put cardboard over several layers of the paper. Tape at the edge so it doesn't move.
4) I recommend blue masking tape - it leaves much less residue than other tapes, and the coater will appreciate that.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5623593 - 01/14/13 10:49 PM

Quote:

Bill posted a link above to my packing instructions.

The fact that two high-quality professionals in the regular business of safely shipping telescope mirrors recommend virtually the identical procedure should assure you that this is indeed how it ought to be done. I do think Lockwood's added instructions on how to properly protect the mirror surface itself with acid-free paper are especially helpful for people wanting to preserve the existing coatings on mirrors. The Spectrum instructions are written with users in mind who will be shipping mirrors to Spectrum to strip the existing coatings off and recoat them, which is probably why those instructions didn't specifically address these additional details. HOWEVER, I'd note that when I received my freshly coated mirror from Spectrum, the surface was protected in precisely the manner described by Mike Lockwood - acid-free paper taped completely over the surface, then a layer of cardboard on top of that (with the foam layer over that).

Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5623837 - 01/15/13 05:14 AM

I appreciate everyone's generous contributions. The scenario is clarifying for me now.

After your comments, I see how, in addition to abrasion, chemical interaction between the wrap and the mirror can also potentially degrade the surface. I had not thought of that.

Is the acid-free wrap used also known as the glassine type?
Where can relatively small quantities of the acid-free wrap be obtained?
Does the adhesive on the blue painters tape not penetrate the wrap? I assume taping should occur opposite the coated surface or at least be well-isolated from it.
Is there a concern that the surgical cotton may be acidic or be acid-processed? Its use among shippers appears to be more limited.

Edit: An afterthought - Has anyone experience with using a layer of the stretchy plastic cling wrap used in the kitchen (example: Saran wrap) in contact with coatings?
----
C

Edited by Cames (01/15/13 07:57 AM)

Patrik Iver
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/03

Loc: Kaarina, Finland
      #5624600 - 01/15/13 03:04 PM

Quote:

Edit: An afterthought - Has anyone experience with using a layer of the stretchy plastic cling wrap used in the kitchen (example: Saran wrap) in contact with coatings?
----
C

No personal experience of this, but my "local" workshop doing optical coatings, specifically warns customers not to use cling film "under any circumstances". They do not say why, but I guess there must be a good reason for the warning. I could provide a link, but the web page is in Finnish, so I don't think it would benefit that many CN'ers.

Whoapiglet

Reged: 08/07/12

Loc: Denver
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: Patrik Iver]
      #5626070 - 01/16/13 11:59 AM

So is pure cotton bad? may not be ideal but will it damage? what if it is kept like that for a few months? (like my 8" zambuto that is awaiting completion of its new home?)

ccaissie
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/13/10

Loc: Whitefield, Maine
      #5629714 - 01/18/13 11:10 AM

Clausing shipped my mirrors to me with a cardboard disk with cotton, like cotton ball stuff, under, against the coating. Worked well, and I still keep my reference sphere stored with this "lid".

C

Mike Lockwood

#5630738 - 01/18/13 10:41 PM

Quote:

So is pure cotton bad? may not be ideal but will it damage? what if it is kept like that for a few months? (like my 8" zambuto that is awaiting completion of its new home?)

While it seems that cotton on a coating is fine for transport/shipping, I have seen some evidence over the years that leads me to believe that leaving it on for longer periods of time might cause coating degradation.

Possibly there is something in the cotton, or maybe it just trapped moisture near the mirror, or maybe it was just bad luck.

I'm not 100% certain. However, I generally use acid-free paper and haven't seen cases of degradation.

okieav8rModerator
I'd rather be flying!

#5631883 - 01/19/13 05:07 PM

What is a good source of acid-free paper?

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #5632103 - 01/19/13 07:37 PM

Quote:

What is a good source of acid-free paper?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/acidfreetissuepaper

Or craft stores, printers etc...

Bill

Mike Lockwood

Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5632494 - 01/20/13 12:27 AM

Try this for cost effectiveness:
http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=7782&SubGro...

okieav8rModerator
I'd rather be flying!

#5632511 - 01/20/13 12:36 AM

Thanks Bill, Mike.

JohnCK

Reged: 03/29/07

#6100348 - 09/25/13 01:08 PM

I recently received a 15Ē mirror as part of a purchase on Cloudy Nights and while the packing job was sufficient, the tape used was a major headache.
The mirror face was protected with acid free paper that was taped securely around the edge and back. The tape used was clear packing tape. When I pulled the tape off, the tape backing separated from the adhesive leaving the adhesive stuck to the edge and back of the mirror. It took a number of hours scraping with a razor along with solvents such as Goof Off to totally remove all the adhesive. I would recommend not using clear packing tape if it is going to be attached directly to the edge or back of your mirror. Further, I would recommend testing any tape you would stick to a mirror edge or back on plane plate glass to see how the tape will respond.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: How to ship sleek-free coated telescope mirrors new [Re: JohnCK]
      #6100521 - 09/25/13 02:22 PM

The blue tape in the pics is also referred to as "painter's tape", and leaves virtually no residue.
If the entire mirror, front and back, is covered with acid-free paper, I wouldn't hesitate to use Gaffer's Tape, either. It's as sticky as duct tape, but leaves virtually no residue. I would not use it if the tape touches glass, however.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2255

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics