Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Orion UltraView 8x42 Wide-Angle Porro new
      #5596259 - 12/30/12 02:29 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Orion UltraView 8x42 Wide-Angle Porro?

How does it compare to the Pentax PCF WII and Nikon AE of the same size?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lou3

Reged: 07/19/12

Loc: PA, USA
Re: Orion UltraView 8x42 Wide-Angle Porro new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5598764 - 12/31/12 09:17 PM

There seems to be a lot of interest in the UltraView, but not very many reviews in the forums. I was about to order one, but at the last minute found an Orion Vista locally and went with that (review to come).

The UltraView is listed as having 22mm eye relief, so they're probably a good choice if you wear glasses.

TonyTowe
sage

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: North Georgia, USA
      #5598817 - 12/31/12 10:03 PM

I've owned a couple of these, as well as a Pentax PCF WPII 8x40. While the Pentax was sharp nearly to the edge, I would say the Ultraviews were usable (for astronomy) to about 80% from the center of the field, which would give them about the same usable field of view as the Pentax, or slightly larger. I prefered the ergonomics of the Ulraviews better. While I've had a few Pentax models over the last few years, I never have been able to get comfortable with their oversized eyecups - they've always seemed like they pinch my nose when I get the binoculars adjusted for my interpuilary distance. For daytime use, the Ultraviews had great depth of field, colors were very vivid. I don't recall any issues with internal reflections/glare for daytime or night-time use. Coatings are very good. I gave one pair of the Ultraviews to my father-in-law (who was very impressed with them) for birdwatching, and I sold the other pair. Should have kept it, and may pick up another again. Right now, my only 8x40/42 is a newly acquired Fujinon BFL, which I haven't got to put through all the paces, but so far I'm impressed.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: Orion UltraView 8x42 Wide-Angle Porro new [Re: TonyTowe]
      #5598894 - 12/31/12 11:16 PM

Lou and Tony, thank you for your comments on the Orion UltraView 8x42. I did find several favorable reviews (2009-2011) on another forum. Here is the link:

Lou3

Reged: 07/19/12

Loc: PA, USA
      #5600422 - 01/01/13 10:06 PM

Thank you for the link, Bob. Are you still considering the UltraView?

Now I'm thinking I overpaid for the Vista (6.5°) relative to what I could have gotten with an UltraView (8.2°). I just found a thread in which EdZ said that the Vista has significant field curvature at the outer 30-40%. I assumed the Vista had a smaller FOV for the sake of less field curvature, but 30-40% on an 8x42 6.5° seems pretty excessive. For $60 less, the UltraView might be the better deal.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: Orion UltraView 8x42 Wide-Angle Porro new [Re: Lou3]
      #5600537 - 01/01/13 11:28 PM

I am interested in making a few optical purchases for the New Year. The Orion UltraView 8x42 is one of those on my list. Thanks again for your comments. I am looking forward to your review of the Orion Vista that you recently acquired.

Robert A.
sage

Reged: 01/21/05

Loc: Johnson City TN, South Central...
      #5602957 - 01/03/13 12:54 PM

Early in my colleciton of binoculars I was trying a few older Nikons 8x42. Soon after, about 2007, I picked up an UltraView. I found it very good. It had a good sweet spot of good focus. I gave it to my aunt over in Tennesse's Tri Cities. Everytime I visit and try it I am reminded it is good. I wonder if Orion has updated this model?

This model made all the cheap Nikons seem poor.
Rob.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: Orion UltraView 8x42 Wide-Angle Porro [Re: Robert A.]
      #5622638 - 01/14/13 01:00 PM

The Orion UltraView 8x42 Wide-Angle porros arrived a few days ago. After reading the comments in this thread and on other forums--I ordered two pairs from Orion. These Japan-manufactured binoculars are very nice for the price. My guess is these may no longer be in production; but, like I said, that is just a guess on my part. Anyway, my models are for family members who do not have any binoculars laying about. And I think a quality 8x42 porro, which these are in my opinion, make a good versatile binocular for beginners to start daytime nature and night sky observing.

Of the various models in my January buying spree, the Orion UltraView 8x42s (and probably a Minox BD 8x44 BP on the way) are the only ones I plan to keep. The Vixen 9x63 and Orion 25x100 are going back. I have already described my experience with the former in the thread Vixen Geoma ZCF 9x63--A few tests. Sometime in the next week, I will post my experience with the 25x100s.

Live and learn.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1287

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics