Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: mark8888]
      #5628064 - 01/17/13 01:03 PM

"There are a lot of crazy astronomers out there..."

There's another kind????

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mary
sage

Reged: 01/29/08

Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5628167 - 01/17/13 02:10 PM

I didn't get into astronomy until my son was grown and living on his own. It wasn't until then that I had a hobby to call my own and the time to do it. It is very hard when you are working and raising a family. I would get home from work and there would be dinners to fix, dishes to wash, Scout meetings or outings, music lessons, band practices or performances, parent/teacher conferences, homework, fundraising at football games or bingo halls and other household chores or OT at work. There just wasn't time. However, now looking back, it would have been wonderful to have spent a few minutes in the yard with him when he was younger to just enjoy some one on one time with him and letting him command the scope before heading off to bed. It would have been a great way to relieve the day's stress before begining another.

Mary

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Mary]
      #5628174 - 01/17/13 02:16 PM

"It would have been a great way to relieve the day's stress before begining another."

THAT is what draws me to the hobby. When I'm alone with the universe, I'm at peace.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5628216 - 01/17/13 02:42 PM

Quote:

"It would have been a great way to relieve the day's stress before begining another."

THAT is what draws me to the hobby. When I'm alone with the universe, I'm at peace.

I think we can all agree (Male, Female, Black, White, Young, and Old) Viewing the universe is a very peaceful activity for all.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5628229 - 01/17/13 02:49 PM

Quote:

Now what would you consider for a scope to be "Lady friendly"? Guess I'd better give up my 16" because it's not pink.

I'll take it off your hands.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: panhard]
      #5628254 - 01/17/13 03:04 PM

I blame it on Tim Allen.......MORE POWWWWEEEERRRRRR!!

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: panhard]
      #5628261 - 01/17/13 03:06 PM

In the last 3 years we have had 3 women join our club. That makes a total of 5. That is about 20% of the membership.

Vesper818
Astronomess

Reged: 11/21/05

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5630380 - 01/18/13 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why not a scope painted and designed to be Lady friendly?

Now what would you consider for a scope to be "Lady friendly"? Guess I'd better give up my 16" because it's not pink.

busted!..

FWIW, Maybe some of it is caution being out alone at night., just not safe for a woman unless you are in your own back yard.I rarely observe elsewhere, except on vacations, but still have a grand time.

Danzup77
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/12/11

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Vesper818]
      #5630418 - 01/18/13 07:08 PM

Id say because theres not as many who are into it......If there were there would be more. Theres no shortage of female hockey players, runners, hikers etc....the list goes on and on. Sure when they look through my scope theyre exited, but not enough to spend the money and time. There are those who DO obviously but its like racing and shooting. Sure theres some into it that take it to the level of "hobby" but for the most part there just arent that many that WANT to take it to that level. Theres not many men in cheerleading because were just not into it....not to say there arent men involved, just not many.

Danzup77
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/12/11

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Danzup77]
      #5630428 - 01/18/13 07:13 PM

I WILL say though, my fiancees 7 year old daughter just got her 1st little refractor for Christmas and she hasn't stopped bugging me to take it outside yet. She always says she wants to look at space like her Danny does haha.....When she saw the moon once she even pointed out, "I can only see part of the moon tonight" haha......so far so good!!!

BarbMoore
sage

Reged: 05/11/09

Loc: South central New Mexico
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: Vesper818]
      #5630495 - 01/18/13 07:48 PM

Some of us women carry a firearm with us when we're out observing. I feel perfectly safe when I'm out observing alone at night.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: BarbMoore]
      #5630544 - 01/18/13 08:24 PM

I am happily surprised with the turnout of Lady members
to this thread!... I didn't know you all were out there.
I feel like that old Dragnet show Dumb Da Dumb Dumb!

bigstormgirl

Reged: 01/02/12

Loc: NW Indiana
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: orion61]
      #5631172 - 01/19/13 08:55 AM

Very interesting thread. Most of my hobbies are male dominated, but that doesn't bother me and never really thought about the "why". I do what I like and enjoy and really never think about the men vs women ratio. I'm also into model railroading. Talk about a male dominated hobby!

BTW, I don't sew, knit or crochet. I hate it. My dob is black and my refractor is grey. Don't like pink. But I'm a hell of a cook. Go figure.

Edited by bigstormgirl (01/19/13 08:56 AM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: bigstormgirl]
      #5631507 - 01/19/13 12:45 PM

"BTW, I don't sew, knit or crochet. I hate it. My dob is Bronze and my refractor is blue. Don't like pink. But I'm a hell of a cook. Go figure.

Same here, and it really surprized my mom (years and years and years ago) that I loved to cook---and am actually really good at it (so I've been told anyways). Guys like to eat too....and some of us learned to cook. I'm kind of actually the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm a guy who likes Broadway plays, likes being at home (actually prefer it), likes to read....and also LOVES astronomy (I must hate my bank account though, as I'm really good about not keeping all that dirty money in it )

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5631826 - 01/19/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

Very interesting thread. Most of my hobbies are male dominated, but that doesn't bother me and never really thought about the "why". I do what I like and enjoy and really never think about the men vs women ratio. I'm also into model railroading. Talk about a male dominated hobby!

BTW, I don't sew, knit or crochet. I hate it. My dob is black and my refractor is grey. Don't like pink. But I'm a hell of a cook. Go figure.

I see the world becoming more accepting of the convergence of masuline and feminine interests/roles. That said, it's easier for a woman to delve into 'man' hobbies then the other way around. A girl that races motocross stands out a lot less than a guy who sewes and knits.

mmclure
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/10

Loc: Sacramento, CA USA
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5632230 - 01/19/13 09:16 PM

Quote:

Guys like to eat too....and some of us learned to cook.

Interestingly enough, restaurant kitchens have traditionally been very much male dominated.

Personally, I learned to knit when I was young, although I haven't done it in many years. However, I keep hearing this little voice in my head telling me to buy a sewing machine.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: mmclure]
      #5632962 - 01/20/13 10:56 AM

I just got a new sewing machine as a present a couple months ago, and my first project is my night cloak for observing. made another one higher end for a Christmas present for sister. Now working on little projects here and their

bigstormgirl

Reged: 01/02/12

Loc: NW Indiana
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5633217 - 01/20/13 01:26 PM

That's cool Neil. I was always lousy at sewing, even though the women in my family sewed.

Forgot to mention my welding job. Maybe that's why I never really thought about the male dominance in astronomy since everything thing I do, whether work or play, I'm surrounded by men.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
      #5633424 - 01/20/13 03:30 PM

OK, sexist remarks here but all true. I got back into astronomy in 1980. My then wife could have cared less altho she did buy me a nice asto book for a birthday present. We divorced a couple of years later. Astronomy had nothing to do with it.

For 13 years I was single. Most women I dated seemed interested in my hobby, at least for a while. The woman I eventually married was also very interested, at first. We even got married in a planetarium. Then her career came first and foremost. To her credit she does not even try to dissuade me from my astro adventures. She will go outside to look at a bright comet...and how often does that occur?

Mea culpa, one of the most serious and dedicated amateur astronomers I know is female. Our astro club is about 20% female. At last june's Venus transit outreach around 2000 people showed up. About as many ladies as there were gents and a lot of kids sprinkled in.

The unique thing about being an astronomer: no one owns the originals but anyone can view them if they take the time and effort to do so. The stars do not discriminate due to sex, race, religion, etc.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why? new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5633560 - 01/20/13 05:00 PM

Another male dominated hobby is shooting, I show up at the range and get stares as I unload. Part of that may be the WWII Russian rifles I collect...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11639

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics