Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
dennyhenke

Reged: 09/07/12

Loc: Fredericktown, MO
It was cloudy and I warm...
      #5623180 - 01/14/13 06:16 PM

And so I thought the evening would go... but nooooooooo. It just had to clear up and now I'll be freezing my tail off. I wish I had a say in the matter but apparently the part of my brain that wants to look through an EP wins over the part of my brain that would rather not freeze.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: dennyhenke]
      #5623226 - 01/14/13 06:54 PM

It's really never a question for me if I'm gonna get cold if I decide to go out, I'm not because I'll dress warmly with long johns, heavy clothing, gloves, balaclava, etc. I use a seat warmer for my duff and keep a hair dryer close by for my face. My problem is deciding if I want to put the effort into putting on all that stuff !

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: wky46]
      #5623249 - 01/14/13 07:10 PM

Right now I'll take the cold just to get an hour behind the new scope.The new scope is a beauty but I can't just look at it I want to use it too.

dennyhenke

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5623311 - 01/14/13 07:52 PM

Agree on the layers! I actually stay fairly warm... except the feet, little bits of face, etc. BUT, yes, it's a lot of effort... hahahaha. Which sounds funny but when it's cold I often feel like I'm going into battle. Of course, I'd prefer the cold to the extreme heat... one can only get so nekkid.

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

#5623386 - 01/14/13 08:41 PM

Same here Denny, can't shed past nekkid! I never look forward to the extreme heat and droughts of mid to late summer. I do look forward to winter and am always disappointed when they're warm and snowless, like now. Just ain't right

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5623433 - 01/14/13 09:07 PM

About 40 degrees is my cold cut off. I live in San Antonio and am not used to the cold.

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: GeneT]
      #5624073 - 01/15/13 09:42 AM

I wouldn't mind the cold if I could find a way to keep my feet warm. I manage with everything else but nothing I've tried can keep my toes from freezing. I need to invest in some serious cold weather boots or something.

dennyhenke

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5624129 - 01/15/13 10:25 AM

Agreed, cold feet are what usually drive me inside!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5624990 - 01/15/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't mind the cold if I could find a way to keep my feet warm. I manage with everything else but nothing I've tried can keep my toes from freezing. I need to invest in some serious cold weather boots or something.

That's correct. Street shoes don't even come close to doing the job. But in a good insulated boot your feet will stay toasty.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5625006 - 01/15/13 07:21 PM

Thats exactly why I have my NexStar 127, superb little scope carry with one hand, I keep it in an unheated out building, ready in a snap... Big Views through a little scope...

brianc99

Reged: 11/27/12

Loc: Southern NH
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: orion61]
      #5625029 - 01/15/13 07:31 PM

I managed to solve the cold feet problem recently. Stumbled across a great deal on insulated boots at the Timberland outlet store. They are waterproof and heavily insulated, and all-day comfortable. Best $50 I've spent in a long time. Now my feet are the last part of me to get cold, and that is a great feeling.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: brianc99]
      #5625795 - 01/16/13 08:57 AM

Same here with the feet...and ears...and nose...lol. I HATE the cold, but for a chance at using the scope right now, its worth freezing.

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
      #5625917 - 01/16/13 10:15 AM

Quote:

Same here with the feet...and ears...and nose...lol. I HATE the cold, but for a chance at using the scope right now, its worth freezing.

Every time I see residents of the northern climes complain about the cold, it reminds me of an old Sam Kinison bit where he talked about the famine that was going on in Africa at the time (mid 80's): "Of course there's a famine, IT'S THE !&@$^* DESERT!!!"

-- Chris

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: CJK]
      #5625948 - 01/16/13 10:36 AM

LOL Chris. I hate shoveling snow the most, which I just got done doing. Wasn't enough for the snow blower.
Here in New England the weather changes from one day to the next. We had some mild days this past week, especially two days ago. The week before it was in the teens.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5626034 - 01/16/13 11:23 AM

It was warm enough in Raleigh, NC Sunday night that I was able to go out observing in my driveway at 3am wearing nothign but flannel pajama bottoms and a light cotton sweatshirt (64 deg F at the time). I took advantage of an hour-long sucker-hole in the clouds to get in a nice grab n'go session. It's very unusual, even in the upper south, for it to be this warm at night in January.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5626999 - 01/16/13 08:52 PM

After layering up elsewhere, feet getting cold are the killer for me too. Second is my nose and third, hands, but gloves do well enough. After doing a bit of research, I am going to spring for a pair of wool socks, like this one. I am also gonna pick up some feet warmers too.

kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: Starman81]
      #5627038 - 01/16/13 09:18 PM

I don't mind the cold too much as long as there's little or no wind. I can dress for the cold, but that icy wind seems to cut through any amount of clothing that I layer on.

Bill

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5627204 - 01/16/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

After layering up elsewhere, feet getting cold are the killer for me too. Second is my nose and third, hands, but gloves do well enough. After doing a bit of research, I am going to spring for a pair of wool socks, like this one. I am also gonna pick up some feet warmers too.

Loose boots, a regular pair of socks and a good thick pair of sock and you should be good to go on your feet.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: mich_al]
      #5627348 - 01/17/13 01:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Loose boots, a regular pair of socks and a good thick pair of sock and you should be good to go on your feet.

Boots are a good idea, along with the socks you mentioned mich_al. It's either that or the wool socks and/or the feet warming packs. This is my first full winter of observing, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #5627559 - 01/17/13 07:48 AM

Good boots are mandatory around these parts. I've had a pair for years and use an old hiking trick of a thin pair of polyester socks under a pair of thick wool socks. For those really cold nights I might use chemical toe warmers stuck onto the socks. This is my 15th winter in the hobby and conditions have to be very good to excellent for me to go out in the bitter cold. Wind is the biggest problem and if it's 5-10 mph or over I usually don't bother anymore.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: JimMo]
      #5627585 - 01/17/13 08:24 AM

"but apparently the part of my brain that wants to look through an EP wins over the part of my brain that would rather not freeze."

Yep, you qualify...welcome to the club

Eyepieces Anonymous--Everyone should own a dozen...or two...

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5627606 - 01/17/13 08:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Boots are a good idea, along with the socks you mentioned mich_al. It's either that or the wool socks and/or the feet warming packs.

Everybody's different, but I have found normal boots totally inadequate for winter observing. They're OK for short trips outside, but if I plan to spend more than an hour or two, I absolutely need insulated boots.

There are various different kinds. I use both traditional shoepacs with thick, removable wool-felt liners and vapor-barrer boots, where the insulation is permanently sealed between two layers of rubber. (These are sold Army surplus as Korean Boots or Mickey Mouse Boots.)

With insulated boots, the socks are irrelevant; the warmth comes from the boot itself.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: CJK]
      #5627624 - 01/17/13 08:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Every time I see residents of the northern climes complain about the cold ...

Problem is that southeastern Mass isn't really cold; it's altogether possible to pretend that winter isn't happening at all as long as you restrict your activities. Last winter there was essentially no snow, and we've only had one week of subfreezing temperatures so far this winter.

Granted, last year was the warmest on record by a fair margin, and we might just beat that record this year. However, the long-term pattern in Boston is only about 3 years in 10 having snow cover throughout most of the winter. And even in a good year, the snow pack melts by mid- to late February. In conditions like that, it's very hard to sustain a winter culture of the kind that you'd find (say) in Norway or Minnesota.

In northern New England -- or even western Massachusetts -- you'd be a lot less likely to find people complaining about the cold.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5627638 - 01/17/13 08:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Boots are a good idea, along with the socks you mentioned mich_al. It's either that or the wool socks and/or the feet warming packs. This is my first full winter of observing, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later.

It's not just the boots, of course you need boots, but loose boots. A size or two bigger than you would have for normal walking. Big enough to hold a bunch of free air and have good wiggle room. And like Tony mentions, felt lined boots are especially good.

brianc99

Reged: 11/27/12

Loc: Southern NH
      #5627780 - 01/17/13 10:41 AM

I can stay warm enough down to about 15-20 degrees, after which I go out only for very short periods. The scope is always cooled down, it stays locked up in the garage.

The main challenge I have is when the weather is very cold, if there's the slightest breeze my eyes water. Once that starts, it doesn't seem to stop until I get inside. I've been thinking of building some sort of portable light block, and if I get around to doing that maybe it'll help with the breeze, too.

steveyo

Reged: 03/13/12

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5627843 - 01/17/13 11:09 AM

Old Eskimo proverb: "If your feet are cold cover your head."

At the cost of becoming preachy, I've been a winter hiker my whole life, and I was a ski bum for 3 years in a long-ago part of life.

I listen to the Eskimos first and foremost with
- adequate head warming gear. Often a thin, wind-block fleece headband completely covering my ears, then a warm fleece hat over that. Really. Ever seen those big Russian flap caps? Those are WARM.

Then body
- polypro (i.e. newfangled synthetic) long johns - maybe most important! These come in different weights - my "expedition weight" set is almost always too warm.
- Regular pants, Insulated pants, Windblock pants depending how cold & windy. Heck - I put on my ski-bib-overalls in the harshest cold.
- wool or fleece shirt/sweater - (or two!)
- Hooded shell-parka that goes to hips A waist-length ski-jacket/work-jacket ain't cutting it. You want a gore-tex, or similarly waterproof-breathable shell. As an example, I have a Patagonia "Storm" Jacket. There are knock-offs of this jacket that work just fine, though Patagonia is one of the few guaranteed-for-life companies. The point is, you need a jacket that seals up your core heat. A big puffy down jacket of that length is fine, too, because we're seldom doing astro in the rain, but they're a bit bulky to get around in. Also, the jacket in question should have a hood, for one more nod to the Eskimo proverb.

- Gloves/Mitten combo - here's where I'm still figuring, because astronomy presents issues due to the need for gear-handling and manipulations. For me lightweight polypro gloves possibly fingerless (I actually use gloves with an inch cut from the index fingers and thumbs.) Then, if it's really cold, or I can watch something for a while in the current eyepiece, I put on the magic mitts of warmth. Something like these, with an insulated fleece inner, and waterproof/breathable outer shell, and a cuff that cinches a few inches up OVER your jacket's sleeve. Again, roomy is better than tight! But these mitts are too thick to work thumbscrews and the like.

After dressing like the above, many people find their feet aren't cold anymore, because their whole self is so toasty.

That said, for feet - all the good advice above:
- one thin pair silk or polypro sock
- one pair thicker, warmer socks
- boots that have *!* plenty of room *!* for the heavy socks you're wearing! Squeezed feet are cold feet. Insulated boots are awesome, but the not-tight part is MOST IMPORTANT.

WORST CASE - the flat, little chem-warmer-packs, one on the top flat part of each foot (inside your boot on top of your sock), is an absolutely wonderful feeling for cold feet. As is one pack in the back of each glove.

Overkill? For me, in cold weather - there's no such thing as overkill.

Edited by steveyo (01/17/13 12:16 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: steveyo]
      #5627885 - 01/17/13 11:29 AM

Be careful, but I've laced a handwarmer between the laces and the tongue of the boot. Like I said, be careful when tightening the shoestrings so you dont rip open the handwarmer, once in place though, its ok.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5628370 - 01/17/13 03:56 PM

Quote:

At the cost of becoming preachy, I've been a winter hiker my whole life ...

Me too. And I do use much of the same clothing, because why buy two different garments when one will do?

However, the requirements are quite different. Winter hiking is a hot activity; getting too sweaty is a constant threat. But then you get super-cold if you stop for long. So you need clothes that are incredibly adjustable -- and can also cope with the inevitable sweat when you don't adjust them quite enough.

None of this is an issue for astronomy. At worst, you just leave off your outer layers while setting up, to avoid getting hot. But once you're actually stargazing, getting too hot is hardly ever a problem. Certainly nothing that can't be coped with by removing your hat and unzipping your jacket.

For instance, I find that cotton long underwear is great for astronomy -- and cheaper and more comfortable than synthetics. But it's a disaster for hiking.

And I would never wear a waterproof shell for astronomy, except on a backpacking trip where it was the only shell I was bringing. So-called waterproof-and-breathable shells tend to do neither job very well. And they're expensive and clunky. And who does astronomy in the rain?

In fact, I don't wear them for winter hiking, either. Not unless it's forecast to rain or I'm planning to climb waterfalls. A thin uncoated nylon shell works just as well and is much cheaper, lighter, and more flexible.

I don't find big, puffy down jackets clumsy at all; quite the contrary. Because down is infinitely compressible, a down jacket is much less obstructive than the same warmth in any other garment. Three or four thick fleece jackets under a shell would probably be just as warm as my expedition down parka, but I would barely be able to move in them.

Also, there's no substitute for a down jacket with a good hood. Warm hats under wind shells are OK, but down hoods are heavenly.

Dressing in layers is fine for astronomy, and it's a good solution for people who already own several suitable garments that can be layered. (The problem is that to do this really well, the outer layers need to be one or two sizes bigger than the inner layers.) But a single warm layer works every bit as well -- unlike for active sports.

Here's what I wear:

On my head, a pile hat under a down hood. Add face mask on really cold, windy nights.

On my torso, a cotton turtleneck under a pile jacket under a down jacket. I usually wear a shell over that, but mostly because it gives me another pair of pockets. When I'm wearing my expedition parka as opposed to my regular one, I have to skip the shell. No normal shell fits over a jacket that thick.

On my legs, lined bluejeans (I wear these all the time in the winter) under homemade insulated pants. When it's really cold, add long underwear.

On my feet, either Mouse Boots or the warmest Sorrels. Thin socks underneath, for comfort and sweat absorption, but not for warmth.

On my hands, open-palm windblock pile mittens with chemical hand-warmers inside. If its super-cold add down mittens. But it's impossible to manipulate anything smaller than binoculars while wearing those.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
      #5628456 - 01/17/13 04:52 PM

Lots of good advice here for newcomers to winter stargazing.

Since astronomy is sedentary, this rule of thumb is useful: dress for temperatures 20 colder than what the actual temperature is, e.g. if the temp is 30F, dress for temps of 10F.

I use much of what Tony listed. I have a pair of flannel lined jeans that I wear for astronomy almost year round. It can get cold here in the mountains at night in the summer time--using my rule of thumb, 50 feels like 30 after an hour or two of standing around.

I use the felt-lined boots mentioned above for cold nights (35F or less)--we call them felt-pacs around here. Your feet will not get cold in these things (but they are kind of clunky).

For cold nights I also use insulated coveralls. Get the kind that have zippers up the sides of the legs--you can take them off and put them on without having to remove your boots.

I usually sketch when I observe so I use fingerless carpenter gloves and chemical hand warmers.

I have a hand muff thingy that buckles around my waist that I can put my hands in to warm them up (NFL quaterbacks have something similar they use for their hands). This is where I keep my chemical hand warmers.

Sometimes I can't sketch with any gloves on at all--but I just stick my hands in the muff with the hand warmers and they warm right up.

It does take some time to suit up for cold weather but I hate for a clear night to go by even if it is cold--there seem to be so few clear nights here.

steveyo

#5628829 - 01/17/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

...why buy two different garments when one will do?

Well I did say big down coat works too. It makes me feel too space-manny, but I bow to greater experience. To active outdoor astronomy, I'm a newcomer, relative to sweaty outdoor pursuits.

Quote:

However, the requirements are quite different. ..I would never wear a waterproof shell for astronomy, ...

You're absolutely right that cold weather astronomy is different from active pursuits.

In a shell's defense, my "Pata-Gucci" shell may not keep me totally dry in a very sweaty situation (i.e. its "breathe-ability" can't keep up), but it breathes plenty for astro work, and it's an excellent outer layer, with 4 good pockets. I stand up for that coat!

But I may start looking around for a good down coat. As long as it's not too puffy.

Edit: 2013-01-18 - I do sometime put a nice warm down vest underneath the shell, too.

Edited by steveyo (01/18/13 09:16 AM)

steveyo

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5629544 - 01/18/13 09:25 AM

Quote:

...It does take some time to suit up for cold weather but I hate for a clear night to go by even if it is cold--

Yes! That's it! If you waste a clear night, you tick off the clear sky gods.

It's like every time it snows, we have to get right out on skis or showshoes, or the snow gods go away mad.

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
      #5629618 - 01/18/13 10:20 AM

I learned something new when shopping for my son for Christmas a few weeks ago. He's a Boy Scout and needed a new, "four-season" sleeping bag. I learned from the guy at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports, which specializes in hiking, climbing and backpacking equipment, that down is the No. 1 insulator for cold -- with the caveat that if it gets even the teensiest bit wet, it loses all of its thermal capabilities. For that reason alone, he sold me on a synthetic bag that has the same insulating characteristics, isn't as bulky as down, and maintains its insulating capabilities no matter how much dew or rain it encounters or how much you sweat in it.

For that reason, if you're prone to sweating under your cold-weather gear, or you live in an area where it's humid or prone to dew, you may want to consider making your next coat purchase of the synthetic variety. I know I will!

Edited by Meadeball (01/18/13 10:21 AM)

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5629651 - 01/18/13 10:37 AM

Quote:

Down is the No. 1 insulator for cold -- with the caveat that if it gets even the teensiest bit wet, it loses all of its thermal capabilities. For that reason alone, he sold me on a synthetic bag ...

"Even the teensiest bit wet" is an exaggeration. I once spilled a full cup of water on my down bag, and it soaked it up with little sign that the event had ever happened. Down can soak up a mighty lot of water before it gets really wet!

It's true, however, that when down does get genuinely wet it's pretty useless. I definitely don't recommend sleeping out in the open (not in a tent or shelter) in a down bag when it's raining. Been there, done that ...

Synthetic bags can be really amazing in this regard. The downside is that they're much heavier and less compressible. So a synthetic sleeping bag that's adequate for real winter conditions is almost prohibitively heavy and bulky for backpacking. Fine for car-camping, though.

Synthetic-fill jackets are OK, and tend to be cheaper than down. They're a bit more restrictive because of the lack of compressibility, but that's not a huge deal. Getting wet isn't an issue for astronomy -- even a heavy dew doesn't really dent a down jacket's warmth. But price might be an excellent reason to go synthetic.

Just remember, thickness = warmth and warmth = thickness. Advertising and salesmen to the contrary, all warm garments are bulky and all bulky garments are warm.

Meadeball
sage

#5629703 - 01/18/13 11:04 AM

Quote:

The downside is that they're much heavier and less compressible. So a synthetic sleeping bag that's adequate for real winter conditions is almost prohibitively heavy and bulky for backpacking. Fine for car-camping, though.

They must have come up with a new synthetic material, because the guy let me see the difference between a down bag and a synthetic bag with the same temperature rating. The synthetic was lighter and about 2/3 the size of the down bag when both were crammed into their stuff sacks. That's what ultimately sold me ... better insulation in all types of weather and smaller and lighter. I have a 1990s-generation down bag of my own and, holding the two, my son's bag feels like a Nerf basketball and mine like a traditional basketball!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5629753 - 01/18/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

They must have come up with a new synthetic material, because the guy let me see the difference between a down bag and a synthetic bag with the same temperature rating.

Has it occurred to you that the temperature rating might be more honest in one case than the other?

I've never yet seen a sleeping bag that was as warm as its rating, but the difference is much bigger in some cases than others.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5629788 - 01/18/13 11:45 AM

My sleeping bags come with names like LaQuinta, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton,.....and they are comfortable...and the wetness is from the nice hot shower you just took.........

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

#5631314 - 01/19/13 10:50 AM

Had the telescope set up all yesterday, occasionally taking quick peeks at the sun, anticipating the night. Moon was finally setting and clear out. But alas, the wind was howling! Wasn't all that cold but didn't really feel like donning all my stuff on, just covered the telescope and left it out. The wind is still pretty stiff today and hopefully it will abate later. If not, I'll probably rethink it all again. Gosh, I've turned into a wimp

dennyhenke

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: wky46]
      #5631838 - 01/19/13 04:25 PM

As for the wind, it often seems like it dies down later into the night. With the brighter moon earlier, I just make it a point to take a nap and get up at 1 or 2 am during this time of month. Of course, I'm single and I freelance from home so my schedule is pretty easy to do that. Saw a pretty nice fireball last night at 3:30am! Another benefit of this is that I get to see a much larger range of stars because I'm often up in the morning. I got a very nice look at a couple globular clusters in Hercules as well as the Ring Nebula this morning at about 4:30am. Not to mention Saturn!

All that said, if I get up and go out at 1am to winds that are still howling I look up, acknowledge the awesomeness before me and go right back inside!

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5632971 - 01/20/13 11:00 AM

Quote:

My sleeping bags come with names like LaQuinta, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton,.....and they are comfortable...and the wetness is from the nice hot shower you just took.........

AKA bed bug roach hotels

Edited by NeilMac (01/20/13 11:01 AM)

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5633689 - 01/20/13 06:03 PM

I think Tony touched on this, but hoods are much warmer than hats, there is no cold stripe across the back of your neck, and pulling one up tight cures the cold spot in the front of the neck, too. Even a hooded sweatshirt will help, but nearly all my cold-weather coats have insulated hoods.

And, if you have either a down or polyfill sleeping bag, don't keep it in the stuff sack it came in, store it in a larger cloth bag of some sort, even a pillowcase will work. Keeping the fibers/feathers totally compressed for a long period will stop them from fluffing them up fully when you need them.
Russ

Meadeball
sage

Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: roscoe]
      #5633799 - 01/20/13 07:08 PM

We keep 'em out of their stuff sacks, hung over clothes hangers in the closet when not in use. That's very good advice.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: It was cloudy and I warm... new [Re: roscoe]
      #5636828 - 01/22/13 12:44 PM

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2307

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics