Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
Chris30

Reged: 01/07/13

Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers
      #5623631 - 01/14/13 11:25 PM

I need to keep as much dust and forest fire soot as possible out of my vintage 6" reflector which I permanently store outdoors - tube size is a little larger of course. The neoprene hoodies by LensCoat have disintegrated in ultraviolet light. Best idea so far is from a camera forum: find a plastic cover for Pyrex storage container that's a close fit. Any experience or suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aleko

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Georgia
Re: Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers new [Re: Chris30]
      #5623644 - 01/14/13 11:33 PM

Shower caps.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
      #5623646 - 01/14/13 11:35 PM

Astrozap sells some that work really well...

Astrozap covers @ Scoprstuff

Chris30

Re: Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5624942 - 01/15/13 06:36 PM

Thanks, not as small as 6". I'll double-check, though.

DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
      #5626496 - 01/16/13 04:13 PM

Or if you're really creative (or wanna be frugal) make your own, and I don't mean using a shower cap. Take a thick piece of cardboard and lay it on the top of the tube, and trace underneath the cardboard around the ota onto the cardboard. Cut that circle out, then cut a 2 or 3 inch wide strip longer than the outside diameter of the ota. Take a hot glue gun, lay the cardboard circle on an old towel and slowly glue the strip of cardboard to the outside of the circle (glue the inside so it can't be seen) until the ends meet. When the glue is dry, check the fit to the ota and you're done. paint if you want, who said astronomy has to cost a lot.
David

davidmcgo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers new [Re: DavidC]
      #5626609 - 01/16/13 05:14 PM

Pacific Designs and Astrozap will both do custom sizes if asked, or at least did when I was shopping. I've some from each for 8" and 10" reflectors I built.

Dave

TexasRed
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/11

Loc: East Texas
Re: Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers new [Re: davidmcgo]
      #5628131 - 01/17/13 01:49 PM

If you're storing it outside permanently, consider a Telegizmos cover as well.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers new [Re: TexasRed]
      #5628198 - 01/17/13 02:30 PM

While storing in a shed might be ok, stored outside and it won't be "vintage" for long. Scopes are weird, they need covered, but yet need air flow to prevent moisture buildup. If you can't cover it/put it in a shed, then I'd bring it inside and take it out a couple of hours before you view. Keeping it outside will warp the base (assuming a dob). An idea for the cap (I saw this at the scope shop believe it or not)--Butter Tub lids--the bigger family sized ones. I know the 1lb ones fit a Meade 2045 OTA.....

Chris30

Re: Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5629109 - 01/17/13 11:16 PM

Thanks to all for your time: I'll definitely consider a Telegizmos cover. Wrote to Astrozap: no, they do not carry 6" tube covers and won't be in business long if they make two for just me, which they did not offer. Haven't found coffee or butter tub lids that fit - yet- though that was also one of my first ideas and I'll keep checking. Shower caps, a short-term but very easy and effective solution, are in place now, thanks, further secured with wide tension straps. The 60's scope actually came with similar elastic covers. I hope to try making the durable cardboard covers at some point.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5629397 - 01/18/13 06:34 AM

You could have a local seamstress make you some covers.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5629725 - 01/18/13 11:13 AM

.....Or get some wood, nails, and tools and build an observatory around the scope...........

Oh, and get some dust covers for the scope........Luckily, I've still got the top cover that came with the scope. on the bottom (mirror side) I use a shower cap with a couple of those moisture absoring packets thrown in it. When stored in the shed, I keep the scope pointed horizontally so moisture does not build up and "puddle" in the mirror.

Chris30

Re: Dust Covers aka Tube End Covers new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5651188 - 01/29/13 09:18 PM

Update - 7" diameter tube ends covered several days now with Ziploc food storage plastic covers. Velcro added for tight fit. Sprayed with Krylon UV resistant coat (sun shines 320/365 here). With respect, this vintage metal and hard-plastic outfit turns 50 this year or next, several years permanently outside. The only permanently failed parts are the primitive plastic setting circles years ago before long-term outdoor. The secondary mirror flaked from single-post mount last year, but I epoxied it, so far so good. I've had long-term success with epoxy in mounting an anemometer, so I'm somewhat hopeful. I may consider storing the tube only inside when/if I find the right horizontal place for it (reduces dust on prime mirror vs. vertical storage).

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1214

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics