Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: Good Nubula to view new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5622837 - 01/14/13 03:01 PM

You must be at a high latitude...there's lots of good stuff below the Lagoon between Sag and Scorpius and below Scorpius.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: Good Nubula to view new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5622849 - 01/14/13 03:08 PM

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks all for sharing.

Urban Observer

Reged: 04/06/08

Re: Good Nubula to view new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5623057 - 01/14/13 04:51 PM

This is a very interesting thread. Especially since I have suggested, to a nebula filter Dealer: That he should consider permanently installing his filters in Binos - And offering them for sale. That, is the short version of the story...
The Good News: Dan, of DGM Optics, is in fact interested in the idea. It's safe to say - More than interested, since prototypes are already "in the works"...The only other eventual concern, naturally will be: How many Bino fanatics (myself included) would be interested in buying a pair?

Now for the longer story:
I recently bought a pair of 1.25" GCE filters from DGM Optics, to use on my new Garrett S.S. 10x50's. And, I've been extremely pleased with their performance on DSO's ever since. So much so, that I simply leave them screwed onto the EP's all the time.

Dan of DGM Optics, then become interested in the idea of having his GCE filter coating applied to the inside of binocular EP's. He and I have been corresponding about this idea quite a bit lately.

Well, I've written a review of the GCE filters; and it's waiting for approval to be published here on CN. So, just waiting for now.
I guess there's no really easy way to gauge what the interest level would be for such a pair of binos?

-Al

Bushnell 8x30's, Barska 15x70's, Garrett Signature Series 10x50's, Celestron 80mm Spotting scope (20-60x), Bushnell 5" Truss Tube Dob, Apertura AD8 8" Tweaker's Dream Dob, Standard Bushnell & Apertura EP's, Lots of Nebula filters...

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Re: Good Nubula to view new [Re: Urban Observer]
      #5623161 - 01/14/13 06:00 PM

When I owned my Fuji 25x150s, I bought a pair of nebular filters that fitted externally to the ep eye lens. I found that the reflections between my eye and the filter to be very distracting while viewing any field with bright objects.

IMO, that's what makes the BT binos much more user friendly with respect to filters....they are placed in front of the ep field lens (screwed into the front of the ep) and are internal and avoid the above problem.

The use of the 2 inch filter on the 50mm binocular objective also avoids that issue.

Edited by Mr. Bill (01/14/13 06:08 PM)

Danman53
Vendor (DGM Optics)

Reged: 11/17/11

#5623366 - 01/14/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

When I owned my Fuji 25x150s, I bought a pair of nebular filters that fitted externally to the ep eye lens. I found that the reflections between my eye and the filter to be very distracting while viewing any field with bright objects.

IMO, that's what makes the BT binos much more user friendly with respect to filters....they are placed in front of the ep field lens (screwed into the front of the ep) and are internal and avoid the above problem.

The use of the 2 inch filter on the 50mm binocular objective also avoids that issue.

Greetings Mr Bill, how you doin`?

I intend to place them internally on the entrance lenses as a raw filters, or coated EP lenses, and am going to use the GCE`s which have much greater optical throughput, and inherently much less reflectance than narrowband filters, such as UHC type filters like the NPB.

Back in November I also built a pair of 82mm over-the-aperture filters (VHTs) for a pair of Kowa Highlanders. That option will also be on the table for bigger binos as well, however as you can imagine it`s a pricey option.

best regards,
Dan McShane

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Re: Good Nubula to view new [Re: Danman53]
      #5623380 - 01/14/13 08:38 PM

Greetings back Dan...still doing off axis optics?

I'm interested in mounting UHB filters on my Fuji 10x50s.

PM me...

Urban Observer

Reged: 04/06/08

#5623545 - 01/14/13 10:19 PM

Being a proud owner, of a pair of 1.25" GCE filters, I suppose some might consider me slightly biased... -But- I believe that the result, of what Dan is going to do: Will produce wonderful views!
Reason being, that I love the way they perform in front of the EP's...(with minor reflections and all) So...Just imagine how well they would work inside the EP's! I hope to share more info, in an up-coming post.
I'm also very curious about the number of Folks who would be interested in the new binos . I've always been a fan of Binocs & nebula filters. Ever since the days of my 2 Fujinons w/ Fujinon screw-on filters (7x50 & 16x70).

Edited by Urban Observer (01/14/13 10:24 PM)

Danman53
Vendor (DGM Optics)

Reged: 11/17/11

#5623625 - 01/14/13 11:16 PM

Quote:

Greetings back Dan...still doing off axis optics?

I'm interested in mounting UHB filters on my Fuji 10x50s.

PM me...

Scopes are mostly just a public service these days, not much going on there, it`s all filters.

I`ll send a pm later tonight or tomorrow. I`ve been absolutely laid low by this very vicious flu, courtesy of my 16 yo son, and the breeding ground known as HS ....

signed,
Danman The Afflicted

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Good Nubula to view [Re: faackanders2]
      #5623777 - 01/15/13 02:29 AM

A favorite of mine in summer is NGC 6188 in ARA. I never saw this one from our Dark Site due to it being so low and the trees being so high. But I see it regularly at Copper Breaks State Park since I started going over there two years ago. The observing site is high enough there to see the horizon in the south. 6188 is visible to the naked eye and really great in binoculars, the cluster inside the nebula and all those in the vicinity are also visible to my 63mm binoculars.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2044

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics