Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
SteveTheSwede

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
20x80 Omegon / Celestron / TS Optics new
      #5624094 - 01/15/13 09:56 AM

Hello,

I recently ordered a Celestron 20x80 from www.astroshop.eu, well aware of the QA and collimation problems that are reported to be common with these binocs. They are so cheap I just took the chance. Unfortunately they seem to have been lost during transport, at least nobody knows where they are.

The vendor don't have any more Celestron 20x80 in stock so instead they offer to send me Omegon 20x80 (as I understand it Omegon is their "house brand", all sorts of rebranded stuff). I now wonder if these are actually the same binocs as the Celestrons with a different badge (of course that might not be a good thing considering all the talk of bad collimation ).

I was hoping one of you binoc experts could identify the origin of these binocs, I'll post 2 pictures. Thanks in advance.

Steve

EDIT: had to remove the pics, they were against the TOS.

Celestron 20x80

Omegon 20x80

Edited by SteveTheSwede (01/15/13 02:51 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveTheSwede

Re: Advice needed: Omegon 20x80 instead of Celestron? *DELETED* new [Re: SteveTheSwede]
      #5624096 - 01/15/13 09:57 AM

Post deleted by SteveTheSwede

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: Advice needed: Omegon 20x80 instead of Celestron? new [Re: SteveTheSwede]
      #5624127 - 01/15/13 10:23 AM

They certainly look like the Celestrons. Same FOV as well. It's very likely they come from the same producer; whether the specs and QC are identical depends on the deal the vendor made with the manufacturer.

Just make sure the vendor has a good return/replacement policy so you have an option if they don't meet your expectations.

Rich

tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: Advice needed: Omegon 20x80 instead of Celestron? new [Re: Rich V.]
      #5624182 - 01/15/13 10:59 AM

I have a couple of Omegon super plossl's, they are really good, from germany.

SteveTheSwede

Re: Advice needed: Omegon 20x80 instead of Celestron? [Re: Rich V.]
      #5624217 - 01/15/13 11:23 AM

Thanks for a quick reply. As I suspected then.

There has been an interesting development thought. I unleashed my secret weapon, namely my German wife. She called them for me and (having the advantage of the language as well as inner knowledge of their tribal customs) she negotiated a better deal

Instead they will send me a more expensive binocular at a discounted price (so I'll pay 19 euro over what the Celestrons cost). Essentially a 50 euro rebate. So the binocs I will be getting are instead the TS Optics 20 x 80 Triplet Semi-APO. The specs and visuals also look identical to the Celestrons as far as I can see, with the exception of the claimed broadband coating. I have no idea if these are actually going to be better than the Celestrons (more expensive price notwithstanding) but it will be interesting, I haven't heard anything about those binos so it might be fun trying them out.

EDIT: coatings aside, the one spec that is different is the weight, interestingly the TS Optics binos claim 2400 grams while the Celestron and Omegon ones claim 2700 grams. I dunno what that might mean if its correct, but it would seem to imply something is different.

Steve

Link and picture: TS Optics 20x80 Triplet Semi-APO

Edited by SteveTheSwede (01/15/13 02:43 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1025

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics