Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Nikon D3200 users? new
      #5623253 - 01/14/13 07:11 PM

Before posting in the Astroimaging forum, I wanted to check my Nexstar family first.
Wife just bought this as a christmas gift from me to her. Anyone here use it? Comparable with the Canon T3i or T4i?
Any and all comments welcome.
Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Nikon D3200 users? new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5623800 - 01/15/13 03:56 AM

Hi Matt,

I've never used a Nikon for astro-imaging but I imagine that it will perform very well. However, and I don't know for sure, but for this specific purpose you might have been better off with a Canon as there appears to be much more software (Microsoft) available to support this make.

For example, I use Craig Stark's "Nebulosity 2" program to capture, stack and (part) process my Canon 350D images and also those from my Atik 314L. However while "Nebulosity 2" suppports many other camera types and makes, it does not support Nikon for whatever reason.

It is of course not entirely necessary to use such software in combination with an imaging camera, but obviously it does make the combined process of capture, stacking and processing a little easier with all being contained in "one package", so to speak.

All said though, there may well be some Nikon suppportive software available of which I am totally unaware but which is in constant use with these cameras.

Best regards,
Tel

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Nikon D3200 users? new [Re: Tel]
      #5623833 - 01/15/13 05:03 AM

Hi Matt,

Like Tel, I am aware of quite a lot of software for the Canon range of cameras but know of nothing that is compatible with Nikon. Good job I have a Canon

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Nikon D3200 users? [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5624532 - 01/15/13 02:31 PM

I was afraid of that. I tried to convince her to get the Canon, but to no avail. It doesnt really bother me, I was just curious.

I guess I should have also mentioned that I was interested in strictly piggy-backing for now. Does that change anything as far as post-processing goes? I really wanted to make my own Milky Way movie like on youtube. But also take some shots of other objects.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 642

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics