Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
jambi99
sage

Reged: 08/14/10

Loc: Québec, Canada
Mallincam pc control new
      #5623314 - 01/14/13 07:56 PM

Hi there ,

which of the mallincam will allow pc control of the exposure ? Does the Xtrem only has this capability? I know you can fully control the mhpc(from the doc) via control cable. Could you please clarify me what each model has to offer in term of PC control ?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Mallincam pc control new [Re: jambi99]
      #5623337 - 01/14/13 08:15 PM

MCHP does not have complete control capability from a PC (it has hyper switches on the side of the camera which cannot be automated).

The VSS+ has full remote control from a wired remote or from a PC.

The Xtreme offers full remote control from a wired/wireless remote and from a PC.

There are two sets of functions on any Mallincam - the onscreen menu (OSD) is controlled via the physical buttons on the rear of the camera or via an RS232/485 interface back to a PC. Then there is an extension to these functions (the Hyper capability) which allows for longer exposures/integration time beyond the basics 2.1 seconds.

You can connect an MCHP to a PC to control all of the OSD functions but not the Hyper ones.

jambi99
sage

Reged: 08/14/10

Loc: Québec, Canada
Re: Mallincam pc control new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5623398 - 01/14/13 08:45 PM

And what about the regular vss ? Is pc exposure control is possible? If limitation, what are they? Thanks!

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Mallincam pc control new [Re: jambi99]
      #5623955 - 01/15/13 08:06 AM

MCHP - Full Menu control from computer/ No cooler or exposure control from computer

VSS/VSS PLUS - Full Menu control from computer/ Limited exposure control from computer, that being HYPER OFF (2 second), HYPER MODE ON = exposure time set by knob on camera and HYPER X2 = twice exposure time set by knob on camera/ Cooler computer controllable

xtreme and Xtreme X2 - Full menu and exposure control from computer/ cooler computer controllable

Jack Huerkamp

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Mallincam pc control [Re: jambi99]
      #5624670 - 01/15/13 03:41 PM

Quote:

which of the mallincam will allow pc control of the exposure

You are probably confusing several settings related to exposure. There are several exposure settings accessible by the camera's manual menu in all models of the Xtreme family of cameras. These are controllable with a PC.

The feature that makes the Mallincams true Astronomical video cameras is the Hyper or Long Integration Mode.

The Xtreme is the only Mallincam Video camera of that family that can be completely controlled by a PC. The Xtreme uses a mode called Long Integration which is best controlled by a PC.

The others use a Hyper mode. The Hyper mode can be partially PC controlled with a VSS+. I'm not sure about the other cameras. I don't own or use them and unlike some I don't like to give advise about equipment unless I have used it.

I have two Mallincam Xtremes in my observatory that are under PC control. They work flawlessly. I also have a VSS+ out there that I adapted to complete PC control. It works well enough but is a bit of a nuisance to adjust when compared with the Xtreme.

The Xtreme allows for what can be considered unlimited Long Exposure time. My VSS only allows about two minutes exposure in it's Hyper mode.

If you intend to control a Mallincam with a PC the Xtreme is the best choice.

By the way Rock Mallin, the person who builds Mallincams has his own forum.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mallincam/

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 477

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics