Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5642042 - 01/25/13 07:48 AM

Quote:

The video connectors (both in and out) are 2.5mm jacks . It comes with a composite video+stereo audio cable (2.5mm jack to 3 RCA connectors, the usual yellow white red).
Includes a battery charger , a rechargeable 3.7v phone style LiPo battery and the AV cable .
It works with SD cards up to 32GB not 16 as I had erroneously stated before .
It also includes a wireless remote (RF based not IR) to start and stop recording .

Maybe the one you're looking at. The one from Orion is definitely IR. I don't use it much anyway. What I do use all the time is the cool one button _wired_ remote. Plug it into the AV out (yes) jack, push the locking pushbutton, and the recorder turns on and starts recording. Release and it stops and turns off. Great battery/memory card saver. I've been using the Orion for the last year or so and couldn't be happier with it.

Edited by rmollise (01/25/13 07:55 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: a__l]
      #5642048 - 01/25/13 07:54 AM

Quote:

Orion monitor have a small screen (2,5").
Why two monitors on observations? In Mallincam one video output? Second (S-Video) - the old version.

My opinion. It is better to have one (good!) monitor and a separate DVR (very large capacity, such as the ability to connect USB Hard Disk - 500 GB or 1 TB).

Orion monitor has another. Power - 5 volts. Where to get 5 volts (in a dark place)? Lithium batteries? They will not last long. I have all the equipment for 12 volts and a powerful battery (one).

Ps. Term good monitor (for a dark place, my opinion)
size 7 - 8 "
signal system PAL
LED illuminated backlight
adjustable backlight levels for daytime or night-time use
works on a 12VDC
low power consumption 0.8 -1 W

--The small monitor is perfectly adequate if you are more interested in recording than viewing. I can even focus with it. But it is small. Solution? Simple. Use a separate monitor and either switch back and forth between the two or use a splitter. Non-issue.

--Lithium batteries won't last long? Nope. I can easily record hours of video on one charge of the built in battery. And 5-volts is not an issue. The recorder comes with a charger. Just plug it into an AC outlet if your site has power, or, if not, a small inverter powered by a 12-volt battery, and you are OK. But I have never, ever had to recharge the battery over the course of an observing run. Non-issue.

--A large capacity DVR? If you want to haul around and power one, go for it. The Orion recorder will record HOURS on even an 8gb card. These cards are cheap. I would rather switch cards that fuss with some big recorder. Non issue.

Edited by rmollise (01/25/13 07:56 AM)

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: a__l]
      #5642202 - 01/25/13 09:40 AM

Quote:

Why two monitors on observations? In Mallincam one video output? Second (S-Video) - the old version.

The Mallincam video cameras except the Jr. all have both composite (CVBS) and S-Video outputs. Both outputs are always enabled so you can use them simultaneously.

There are many many different video setup options but it's quite common to use the S-Video for the high quality monitor and the composite feed for a smaller monitor that would be close to the eyepiece (for focusing and framing objects).

Ideally you'd like the DVR device to also be on the higher quality S-Video feed but unfortunately most devices sold now don't support that interface.

With my Mallincam I have a small lightweight 2.5" LCD monitor hanging off of the back of the scope attached to the composite feed via a short thin RG-179 cable. A 20' S-Video cable goes back to an S-Video distribution amplifier and from there to ... 1) Speco CRT monitor 2) USB frame grabber 3) 19" LCD monitor 4) HDD/DVD based DVR.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5642299 - 01/25/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

Market it to astronomers.. triple the markup..

Keep in mind, the unit he is talking about is NOT the same as the Orion. As good as? Maybe, maybe not. Support of any kind? Probably not. The Orion has been proven for use with a Mallincam in the field.

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5642344 - 01/25/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Keep in mind, the unit he is talking about is NOT the same as the Orion. As good as? Maybe, maybe not. Support of any kind? Probably not. The Orion has been proven for use with a Mallincam in the field.

Darn good point, Rod. Too many times we (myself included) are too willing to jump on something that "looks the same" but is much cheaper, all the while overlooking the proven performer.

mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5642519 - 01/25/13 12:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Darn good point, Rod. Too many times we (myself included) are too willing to jump on something that "looks the same" but is much cheaper, all the while overlooking the proven performer.

I agree re. support for my unit .
However, I am not LOOKING at the unit, I have it and use it .
The on-screen menu is self explanatory, the remote is RF (I know because I looked inside the unit , it's a 433MHz OOK xmitter, basically a glorified garage door opener with maybe 100ft range) .
It can be used powered by its internal battery for hours but if you really need external power, you can power it off a mini-usb cable . Any 12v car adapter with USB charging output would work to power it continuously . It draws under 100mA .
The user "manual" is a joke so if you're not technically inclined don't even think about it. There are a multitude of youtube videos showing how to use it anyway .
And for 1/3 the cost, I figured I would need to buy and destroy 2 units and buy a third to break even with the Orion unit .

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5642649 - 01/25/13 01:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess you haven't seen the orion customer service post? The orion dvr is a Chinese product with the orion label slapped on it. Exactly like the mallencam. They should work very well together. Who proved it works in the field?

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#5642680 - 01/25/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

The orion dvr is a Chinese product with the orion label slapped on it. Exactly like the mallencam.

Now Dave, you have to know making that statement is probably going to cause all kinds of havoc. I know you've also spent some time in the Yahoo Mallincam group which would have provided some clarity to the background of the Mallincam.

AFIK while Rock uses some components from Wakamaya and others there's a lot of his own IP and specialty built components in each camera. He definately doesn't just slap his label on some other product.

From the Yahoo group, selected parts of a posting by Rock from about a year ago in reference to his video cameras ...

"Cabinet and main CPU is made by Wakayama, a parent company of Mintron who makes OEM and industrial
and commercial camera manufacturing for others. Our main video ccd board is design by us and all ccd sensor are hand picked and installed right here in our premise.

Rear board and preamp output is also design by us, and we use a Holtek preamp at the ccd sensor stage.

Our Peltiers are made in Russia custom made by them for MallinCam, Peltier digital driver are made by Bel who makes various voltage units using digital pulse technology."

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5642795 - 01/25/13 03:24 PM

It is easy to shoot from the bushes. That is one reason this forum is fairly stagnant. Lots of Mallincam bashing. I, for one, will take it in stride as after a while it becomes shrill. I wonder if using a cheap plossl is the same as using a Brandon? You can see the moon through both.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5642796 - 01/25/13 03:24 PM

Quote:

I guess you haven't seen the orion customer service post? The orion dvr is a Chinese product with the orion label slapped on it. Exactly like the mallencam. They should work very well together. Who proved it works in the field?

Nope. Of course the Orion is made in China, but even a quick glance shows it is OBVIOUSLY not the same as the other unit.

Who proved it? I did and Paul did to name just two people on this board

rmollise
Postmaster

#5642805 - 01/25/13 03:28 PM

Also, I believe folks are getting two products intertwined. The Orion DVR and the Mallincam remote shutter control

As for the latter: ROCK MALLIN SAYS DON'T use it. If you want to risk your thousand dollar plus camera by doing so to save 150 bucks, don't say you weren't warned.

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: Dwight J]
      #5642819 - 01/25/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

It is easy to shoot from the bushes. That is one reason this forum is fairly stagnant. Lots of Mallincam bashing. I, for one, will take it in stride as after a while it becomes shrill. I wonder if using a cheap plossl is the same as using a Brandon? You can see the moon through both.

I agree, and as the OP, I would appreciate it if these guys would start their own thread. Of course, it would probably go about as well as their last one.

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
      #5642825 - 01/25/13 03:37 PM

Quote:

Cut out the vendor bashing or another potential thread is getting locked. Especially when it appears these types of accusations are unsubstantiated. Take it offline or take it up with the vendor directly.

What part of vendor bashing do folks not understand?

Jason

Edited by Undermidnight (01/25/13 03:46 PM)

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#5642999 - 01/25/13 05:18 PM

Quote:

Also, I believe folks are getting two products intertwined. The Orion DVR and the Mallincam remote shutter control

Rod, Good point ... I didn't initially read it that way, I read "Exactly like the Mallencam." and only thought of the camera and that is probably my mistake.

So Dave you have my apology if what you meant was the Mallincam wireless remote control ... but I'll leave my post in place in case others read things the way I did.

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5643009 - 01/25/13 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rod, Good point ... I didn't initially read it that way, I read "Exactly like the Mallencam." and only thought of the camera and that is probably my mistake.

So Dave you have my apology if what you meant was the Mallincam wireless remote control ... but I'll leave my post in place in case others read things the way I did.

This thread got all messed up with posts about whether to use or not the Mallincam wireless remote mixed with opinions about other remote (wireless or not ) options, then about remote LCD screens, then DVR's with or without remotes. There is information here but it's misplaced.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5643090 - 01/25/13 06:19 PM

I thought the OP wanted Yes or no on MWEC.

This post has become way to political.. Mallincam fanboys strike again!! If you own one, are you one too? I guess I am. I love my MCX!

Quote:

Cool... I never read it.. these posts moved onto page 2..

Pointing out where a product originally came from is not vendor bashing.. A few vendors take GSO accessories and slap there name on it.. A few vendors take Sinta Telescopes and slap there name on it.. A few vendors take Sony panels and put there name on it... And that list could go on for days.. Those vendors may or may not make changes to the product. What about the failure or inconsistencies found in refractor focusers? PE#'s in mounts? Suggesting aftermarket parts to fix those issues is not vendor bashing. Pointing this out just makes a more educated consumer. A more educated consumer can than make their own decision on which product to buy...Suppressing this kind of information is a slap in the face for freedom of information.

Example. I make my own radio with CD player out of parts.. It kind of looks like a Sony Radio without cd player. In fact I had to take some parts from the Sony to finish my radio with cd player.. Making my own radio with cd player was cheaper than buying sony radio/cd player in one. I than make this information available to the pubic on the internet without any fees or profit. Is this somehow blasphemous? Did I violate any trade marks? Not in the eyes of the law.

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
      #5643420 - 01/25/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. Of course the Orion is made in China, but even a quick glance shows it is OBVIOUSLY not the same as the other unit.

Who proved it? I did and Paul did to name just two people on this board

Yes I've used it in the field attached to my UTA for focusing, recording and as a monitor. It has a brushed aluminum case and is built like a tank. I've had dew dripping off it every time out and have not had any issues.

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No? new [Re: plav1959]
      #5643472 - 01/25/13 10:19 PM

Quote:

Yes I've used it in the field attached to my UTA for focusing, recording and as a monitor. It has a brushed aluminum case and is built like a tank. I've had dew dripping off it every time out and have not had any issues.

Hmmm, let's see the tank that has a thin brushed sheet aluminum face and plastic underneath .

rmollise
Postmaster

#5643957 - 01/26/13 08:38 AM

Quote:

Hmmm, let's see the tank that has a thin brushed sheet aluminum face and plastic underneath .

The Orion DVR works and works well for me. You've tried it and had a different experience?

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

#5644003 - 01/26/13 09:14 AM

Moderator please lock this thread. It has managed to wander far from my original question. If this krap is typical of the video astronomy forum, I believe that I will just try to figure things out on my own. Thanks to those who actually offered helpful advice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid, David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4014

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics