Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ChristinaLeGrand

Reged: 01/15/13

Loc: Plano, Texas
Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii
      #5624893 - 01/15/13 06:00 PM

Hello All,

In searching for a good place for retirement (some years from now), the idea of the Big Island of Hawaii has come up. Does anyone on this forum live there? Would anyone be willing to share thoughts or opinions on what "back yard" (e.g., from your own roll-off, not up at Mauna Kea) observing might be like on any given night: cloud cover, humidity, sky quality regarding darkness, seeing, transparency? I realize that the west side of the island is the dry side. But can the observing be really good from your house? There are no Clear Sky Clocks for Hawaii, and I am having a difficult time finding good information.

Thank you for any info!

Christina LeGrand

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: ChristinaLeGrand]
      #5625003 - 01/15/13 07:20 PM

I think you can contact CSC and have a place added. Besides the seeing what about the cost of living? I've heard that to be a real buggaboo.

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5625090 - 01/15/13 08:00 PM

Hello Ken,

Thank you for your note. The cost of living is high there but it should be manageable. It could be worth it if you can do quality observing from the back yard. I was on the Big Island once, but was not thinking of it as a future place of residence at the time.

Thanks again for the post,
Christina

docchilie

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Parnell, Iowa
      #5625201 - 01/15/13 09:07 PM

I do business on Maui and Oahu on a regular basis and know a lot of people who live there. There are two types, those who stay forever, and those the islands shrink for every year until they run screaming. Most of the people I know are middle aged so it might be different for those that are near/at retirement age. The split seems to be 50/50. So that is my first warning.

As to the rest, I know cloud cover can be a problem in places as well as LP.

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: docchilie]
      #5625208 - 01/15/13 09:12 PM

Stay on Kona-side and it's very good, clear, dry weather. And there's full-on light ordinances on the island (because of the observatories on top). I'm going to get a house there in the future as a place to hang. Very pretty skies.

Paul

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: docchilie]
      #5625348 - 01/15/13 10:29 PM

Thank you for the input!

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: psandelle]
      #5625349 - 01/15/13 10:31 PM

Thank you for the input! It is good to know that the weather is good on the Kona side, and also about the lighting ordinances. I appreciate the info - thanks again!

bunyon
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
      #5625751 - 01/16/13 08:20 AM

I've had a few observing sessions higher up and they were spectacular. I know absolutely nothing of prices in the area, but if you're looking to move for night skies and not ocean access, I'd try to find something at higher elevation on the west side. It may lower the price of land/house quite a bit (though, again, I know nothing, just that it seems most people retiring to Hawaii are doing it for beaches and warmth).

The other not inconsequential feature is that it is a good bit farther south than CONUS. Lots of cool southern treats pop up high enough to see. Good luck.

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: bunyon]
      #5626170 - 01/16/13 01:08 PM

Thank you for the info! We have observed up on Mauna Kea, and it was spectacular, as you mention. While my husband and I are also certified open water divers, we mainly want to live there for the astronomy, and would plan to locate away from the actual coast. And yes, regular access to those southern objects would be fabulous! Thank you again for writing. Christina

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: bunyon]
      #5626172 - 01/16/13 01:10 PM

Stephen O'Meara lives in Volcano Hawaii according to his books. He says the skies are world class. I would tend to believe a very skilled observer as he.

Good Luck with your Move. Hope you have warm weather and clear skies.

Ken

MikeRatcliff
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Redlands, CA
Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5626455 - 01/16/13 03:59 PM

There is a long-time member of Cloudy Nights named "Erik" (that's his CN name) who moved to Hawaii a few years ago. He runs another astronomy site: http://www.starstuff-forums.com and you could probably contact him there.

Mike

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: MikeRatcliff]
      #5626466 - 01/16/13 04:03 PM

Wow - thank you, Mike! Will do! Best Regards, Christina

ChristinaLeGrand

#5626783 - 01/16/13 06:46 PM

Thank you for the post, Ken! We had met / spoken with Stephen O'Meara at TSP a few times, and remembered that he at least used to live there, being a volcanologist as well as an astronomer. One year, I won one of his books at the TSP door prize giveaway event ("Must be present to win!").

It would be great to speak with him about this topic!

Thanks again for the post and Best Regards,
Christina

ChristinaLeGrand

#5626790 - 01/16/13 06:50 PM

Wow - thank you, Mike! This site looks like the keys to the kingdom! Thanks again for your post - I will join that forum immediately! Best Regards, Christina

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
      #5626807 - 01/16/13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the post, Ken! We had met / spoken with Stephen O'Meara at TSP a few times, and remembered that he at least used to live there, being a volcanologist as well as an astronomer. One year, I won one of his books at the TSP door prize giveaway event ("Must be present to win!").

It would be great to speak with him about this topic!

Thanks again for the post and Best Regards,
Christina

Christina,
That must have been quite an honor. I have two of his books and enjoy them very much. Looks like you have found a new home. Wish you well

Ken

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
      #5627018 - 01/16/13 09:02 PM

Christina,
You have just given me the bug to start looking into the islands. Thanks for that
Looks like an incredible lifestyle, I checked out Erik's blog, looks like he's having the best time.
Too bad most of the locum tenens jobs out there require 2-5 years of experience, so it may be a little while for me.

MikeRatcliff
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Redlands, CA
      #5627354 - 01/17/13 02:07 AM

Quote:

Wow - thank you, Mike! This site looks like the keys to the kingdom! Thanks again for your post - I will join that forum immediately! Best Regards, Christina

I have some non-astronomy friends in Hilo that I can talk to also. They just had a cold snap down to 59 degrees! Good luck and I'm envious!

Darenwh
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/06

Loc: Covington, GA
      #5627882 - 01/17/13 11:26 AM

The skies on the island are excellent for the most part from what I saw. The light ordinances truly do a good job in limiting the LP even at sea level. A property just a little inland would have great skies. I have considered moving there for some time though currently cannot. Still hoping to one day and am saving my pennies for just such an occurance. Remember, the expense is in purchasing a place to live (can be cheaper than you might think) and in every day living expenses. These expenses can both be managed. Restaraunts near tourist areas can be very expensive. There are far more affordable places to eat that are also decent places if you get to know the place. Also, once you get established (with an HI drivers licence) you should start getting used to asking for the Kamaina (local) rates when you are going to places that are more touristy. This can reduce the rate some (usually about 10-20%) but it is still expensive. If you go to visit rather than moving there consider places you wouldn't expect for things like souvineers and even just bottled water. Most souvineers can be had for much less money at the local Walmart or at out of the way small local stores and they are also a great place to go for things like bottled water. An example: At the resort I stayed at on my last visit they had bottled water (Hawaiian spring water) at the resort for $19.00. Go to the local Walmart and it was $1.50. Yes, that's a bit of a markup. Another example: picked up a sub from a Subway near the resort for lunch while at the beach for myself and my wife. Same sub on mainland, $5.00, at resort Subway $8.00, at Subway away from tourist area $5.50. Not as big of a markup but if you eat subs ten times a month that ads up to $25.00 more a month if you go to the one near the resort, and they didn't load the sub up as well. Local plate lunch at a local place was $7.50 for a chicken dish, a scallops dish, a scoop of Macaroni salad, and a scoop of sticky rice. Great tasting traditional island meal that was big enough to feed both myself and my wife. Had we gone to a restaraunt near the resort I am sure it would have cost well over $25.00 for the two of us and could easily have gone over $75 or more. Get to know the local people and the local places and you will love it and not go broke doing so. It's very possible to move there if you can get a halfway decent job there.

ChristinaLeGrand

#5628051 - 01/17/13 12:56 PM

Thank you, Ken! It was most definitely an honor to meet, talk to, and have a book personally autographed by S. J. O'Meara. Maybe with any luck he'll be at TSP this year!

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: Darenwh]
      #5628072 - 01/17/13 01:13 PM

Daren, thank you for all the great and detailed information! That is great to know that the lighting restrictions do work. We would want to live near the southern tip and inland somewhat, at some elevation if possible. It all sounds wonderful. Thanks again for the very useful information! Christina

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1517

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics