Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
Brian Albin
Seeker

Reged: 08/22/06

Loc: Western Oregon
Ground Clearance
      #5625002 - 01/15/13 07:19 PM

How much ground clearance do you like under an equatorially mounted Newton telescope?
I have read that the scopes need to be up some (the article did not say how much) to avoid something called ground currents. But that article was written in the days before electric fans were mounted on the back of the telescope tubes. Can we now bring our scopes down until they are sweeping the Earth to minimise eye piece height?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Ground Clearance new [Re: Brian Albin]
      #5625285 - 01/15/13 10:00 PM

I don't know exactly how low you mean to go. My reflectors been anywhere from a foot to two feet off the ground pointing at the zenith. I don't kno if I'd go lower simply because I don't want plants up the tube fan or not. Too I don't know if the ground has currents per se, but there is ground level heat particularly important earlier than later in the evening.

Pete

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5625651 - 01/16/13 05:12 AM

IMO you'll get a better response from a telescope forum than here

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5626031 - 01/16/13 11:21 AM

Brian,
I keep mine at the lowest possible height, but that's still 50"-60" off the ground. I have a fairly big mount. The fans I think you're talking about are there to help speed the cooling of the primary mirror and to reduce heat currents inside the tube. You're not sucking huge amounts of air up the tube. More like a very gentle airflow.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
Re: Ground Clearance new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5626296 - 01/16/13 02:27 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Mine is about 17' off the ground!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #5627866 - 01/17/13 11:18 AM

Brian,

Quote:

How much ground clearance do you like under an equatorially mounted Newton telescope?
I have read that the scopes need to be up some (the article did not say how much) to avoid something called ground currents. But that article was written in the days before electric fans were mounted on the back of the telescope tubes. Can we now bring our scopes down until they are sweeping the Earth to minimise eye piece height?

Sure. Just be sure to set up on grass - not asphalt paving or concrete. Throw a carpet underneath the scope and don't worry about it.

Mike

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5627942 - 01/17/13 11:54 AM

Quote:

I think this is one of those things that is difficult to quantify but I am reluctant to bring it down too close. With my RV-6 which has no fan, but is always on grass, it does seem that sometimes the views deteriorate near the zenith, I don't know if it is because the scope is picking up my body heat somehow or if it's because the OTA is like a chimney, or maybe it's just coincidence.

Jon

Brian Albin
Seeker

Reged: 08/22/06

Loc: Western Oregon
Re: Ground Clearance new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5628204 - 01/17/13 02:34 PM

Thank you, everybody, for the replies.

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 664

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics