Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 !
      #5625217 - 01/15/13 09:20 PM

I'd like to hear from people owning this Mallincam wireless controller pictured here on the Mallincam website:

http://mallincam.tripod.com/id54.html

and which is sold by Mallincam for $249.95 .

I'm curious to what extent is it identical to this $70 Wireless controller which has the same part number TW-282/E3 as the Mallincam , looks identical and I've seen it sold on A-mart and other places second hand as Mallincam wireless controller , even the box is the same with the part number printed on it :

http://www.amazon.com/TW-282-E3-Wireless-Control-Samsung/dp/B004DRIFSK/ref=pd...

The cable that connects the remote to the camera is included in the $70 price but a separate one can be bought for around $9 . The only modification I could see is the connector at the camera end was replaced with a standard DC controlled iris lens connector ( just a 4 pin connector ).
If this is the Mallincam remote , the savings would be substantial buying it for $60-70 instead of $250 .

Edited by mattflastro (01/16/13 09:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5627071 - 01/16/13 09:43 PM

Quote:

I'd like to hear from people owning this Mallincam wireless controller pictured here on the Mallincam website:

http://mallincam.tripod.com/id54.html

and which is sold by Mallincam for $249.95 .

I'm curious to what extent is it identical to this $70 Wireless controller which has the same part number TW-282/E3 as the Mallincam , looks identical and I've seen it sold on A-mart and other places second hand as Mallincam wireless controller , even the box is the same with the part number printed on it :

http://www.amazon.com/TW-282-E3-Wireless-Control-Samsung/dp/B004DRIFSK/ref=pd...

The cable that connects the remote to the camera is included in the $70 price but a separate one can be bought for around $9 . The only modification I could see is the connector at the camera end was replaced with a standard DC controlled iris lens connector ( just a 4 pin connector ).
If this is the Mallincam remote , the savings would be substantial buying it for $60-70 instead of $250 .

After doing some more research I found confirmation that the Mallincam Wireless controller sold for $250 is actually the Pixel TW-282 unit which sells everyhere else for under $70 with free shipping.
The confirmation is on the Mallincamusa.com website and shows the actual wireless controller photo, with part number and manufacturer clearly visible :

http://mallincamusa.com/images/WEC%20RX-TX.jpg

Hope this info might save someone some money .

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5627095 - 01/16/13 09:56 PM

Good find Matt Thanks for making the hobby a bit cheaper!

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: Raginar]
      #5627689 - 01/17/13 09:28 AM

So is the correct cable available or the correct pinouts to cobble one?

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: Stew57]
      #5627881 - 01/17/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

So is the correct cable available or the correct pinouts to cobble one?

Getting the correct cable is easy , only involves buying a $9 cable adapter and soldering the DC iris connector .

I don't know yet the pinout but the hardest it could be is to identify up to 4 pins , because that's the number of contacts in that DC iris connector .
That's why I was asking for response from anyone who owns a Mallincam .
However, it appears they are all of the opinion that if they overpaid, everybody should overpay or are afraid of repercussions from their vendors.

But all hope is not lost because there are some local guys in my club with Mallincams and I will persuade one of them to let me find the pinout when we meet next time .

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5628565 - 01/17/13 05:59 PM

This was from the mallincam yahoo group:

You did get your Pixel wireless shutter controller from Rock/Jack didn't
you? You can't use a stock Pixel on the MCX. Rock has Pixel modify the
receivers for the MCX. Even if you find and use the correct cable --
the stock receiver won't work. You have to buy it from Rock/Jack.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5628582 - 01/17/13 06:06 PM

From Rock about using a different wireless device:

Hi No name, (please sign your name when posting)

Pixel has made our unit for the MallinCam based on our specification especially
in the receiver. They do not have any MallinCam cables on their website.

Why do you need a spare cable? They are very very durable. You will need 4 pin
configuration made for the MallinCam. Internals of the receiver is also been
adapted for our cameras hence why they are expensive. Do not attempt to use any
other receivers from Pixel otherwise damage will occur to the camera.

If you need a cable, contact us at:
mallincam@...

Rock M.

mattflastro

#5628957 - 01/17/13 09:54 PM

Quote:

From Rock about using a different wireless device:

Hi No name, (please sign your name when posting)

Pixel has made our unit for the MallinCam based on our specification especially
in the receiver. They do not have any MallinCam cables on their website.

Why do you need a spare cable? They are very very durable. You will need 4 pin
configuration made for the MallinCam. Internals of the receiver is also been
adapted for our cameras hence why they are expensive. Do not attempt to use any
other receivers from Pixel otherwise damage will occur to the camera.

If you need a cable, contact us at:
mallincam@...

Rock M.

We shall see . I am now really interested . I don't particularly enjoy FUD tactics.

mattflastro

#5629015 - 01/17/13 10:29 PM

Quote:

This was from the mallincam yahoo group:

You did get your Pixel wireless shutter controller from Rock/Jack didn't
you? You can't use a stock Pixel on the MCX. Rock has Pixel modify the
receivers for the MCX. Even if you find and use the correct cable --
the stock receiver won't work. You have to buy it from Rock/Jack.

I saw the internals of that Pixel receiver . There's no room insde it for a big enough gold nugget to justify the extra $180
Also, the transmitter is FCC approved as a single model, no variations , by Pixel . Whatever modification was done (if any) is some simple stuff in the receiver output or connector . This looks more and more like a good business opportunity , replacement remotes and cables . Not to mention those $100 fans that sell anywhere else for $4 or those $100 aluminum brackets .

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5629272 - 01/18/13 02:23 AM

Welcome to the world of Mallincam

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5629404 - 01/18/13 06:47 AM

Looks can be deceiving. Rock had the units he sell produced especially for the MallinCam. The price is high as the volume produced was low. Here is what he said on the issue:

"The voltage pulse is not the same. They will damage the camera eventually. Pulse required is very low voltage and polarized. Standard PIXEL unit is not and use a universal type voltage for Canon, and other consumer type camera. It may work for a while but will eventually make the camera internal Hyper circuit fail."

Caveat emptor!

Jack Huerkamp

Edited by Jack Huerkamp (01/18/13 08:23 AM)

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5629420 - 01/18/13 07:12 AM

Quote:

Looks can be deveiving. Rock had the units he sell produced especially for the MallinCam. The price is high as the volume produced was low. Here is what he said on the issue:

"The voltage pulse is not the same. They will damage the camera eventually. Pulse required is very low voltage and polarized. Standard PIXEL unit is not and use a universal type voltage for Canon, and other consumer type camera. It may work for a while but will eventually make the camera internal Hyper circuit fail."

Caveat emptor!

Jack Huerkamp

Thanks for the reply.
So there might need to be a resistor divider placed in the $9 cable to lower the pulse amplitude or a diode to "polarize" the pulse

Real small production volume prices in the continental US, not China (where this Pixel unit seems to be hand crafted one at a time) are under $1 for such a modification .

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5629465 - 01/18/13 08:22 AM

Damage to the MallinCam Xtreme or Xtreme X2 caused by not using the wireless exposure controller unit sold by Rock Mallin is NOT covered by the warranty!

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5629471 - 01/18/13 08:29 AM

Lots of time and effort went into picking the right fans to provide the proper volume of air without introducing vibration to the camera. There are cheaper fan units available for cooling electronic components. The ones used by Rock cost significantly more than $4 each. In addition unless one has an equipped machine shop already, getting a shop to drill, route and tap aluminum plate in small quantities and then have the plates anodized is not cheap.

Jack Huerkamp

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5629523 - 01/18/13 09:10 AM

Quote:

Lots of time and effort went into picking the right fans to provide the proper volume of air without introducing vibration to the camera. There are cheaper fan units available for cooling electronic components. The ones used by Rock cost significantly more than $4 each. In addition unless one has an equipped machine shop already, getting a shop to drill, route and tap aluminum plate in small quantities and then have the plates anodized is not cheap.

Jack Huerkamp

Good to hear that.
Then consider this:
Sunon Maglev fans in the 40-80mm sizes are the best in the world.
Vibration free due to brushless motors, magnetic levitation vapo-bearings and sell all day in the $4 range retail at all major electronics distributors, including Digikey , Mouser, Arrow etc.
Maglev 40mm series ME40101V , 50mm ME50101V , 80mm ME80251 all sell for less than $4.50 in single piece qty at Digikey.
If you need help sourcing the best vibration free fans for less than $60 please let me know.

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

#5630094 - 01/18/13 03:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jack Huerkamp

Good to hear that.
Then consider this:
Vibration free due to brushless motors, magnetic levitation vapo-bearings and sell all day in the $4 range retail at all major electronics distributors, including Digikey , Mouser, Arrow etc.
Maglev 40mm series ME40101V , 50mm ME50101V , 80mm ME80251 all sell for less than $4.50 in single piece qty at Digikey.
If you need help sourcing the best vibration free fans for less than $60 please let me know.

You may not agree with Mallincam's pricing policy but that's how the company makes enough revenue to be able to provide one of the best warranties and upgrade policies to be found anywhere. The revenue also pays for the research that pays for the development of new cameras and accessories.

Send your camera back to Digikey for repair or upgrade. Think they will do it cheaper than Rock will.

We support Rock and Rock supports us. You do what you have to do to hang on to every penny you can.

I'll gladly pay what ever it costs to keep Rock in business and happy. I've spent well over $7,000 on Mallincam equipment over the last few years and am looking forward to spending a lot more in the future. In the long run you get what you pay for and in the end, you get what you deserve.

I have yet to hear anyone crying about Mallincam's warranty. Until now I never expected to but I am really looking forward to hearing some now.

Lorence

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: Lorence]
      #5630228 - 01/18/13 04:33 PM

looks like you can build same quality camera for a lot less, you should go into buisness and produce your own line then

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: Lorence]
      #5630241 - 01/18/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jack Huerkamp

Good to hear that.
Then consider this:

You do what you have to do to hang on to every penny you can.
In the long run you get what you pay for and in the end, you get what you deserve.

Lorence

Lorence, that's wise, "in the long run you get what you pay for and in the end , you get what you deserve ." Really! In that case I have a Brooklyn Bridge for you for only triple what it's worth !

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5630261 - 01/18/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

looks like you can build same quality camera for a lot less, you should go into buisness and produce your own line then

Sounds like a plan .

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5630270 - 01/18/13 05:14 PM

For all my Open Source Friends.

Wireless Control pinout for the Pixel Wireless Controller and 4pin auto iris control cable:

4 pin auto iris cable has 4 wires. Black, Red, White, yellow.

Pixel cable is 3 wire Blue, Red, Green.

4pin to Pixel Cable Pinout:

Black not used.
Red to Blue
White to Red
Yellow to Green.

Works without issue. Have fun!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4346

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics