Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5635353 - 01/21/13 05:01 PM

Quote:

The man took His money, His time, His risks and built a company with a very loyal customer group who all seem to like quite and respect Him very much. People buy his product and they like it very well and come back for more, thats free market capitalism at work. Seeing how he took all the risk, produced a product that people like, and seems to be well liked and respected,, hey I hope he makes lots of money

In what way is this answer related to the suggestion I made for Mallincam to show the patent numbers ?
Or to buy the same exact fans (same part number) from a better distributor and save money for him and his customers ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5635451 - 01/21/13 05:58 PM

Absolutely is not related to that, was just my two cents. You should just call or email mallincam with your suggestions and he may hire you on as a buyer or something or consultant. Someone may take your thread and beat you to the punch.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

#5635466 - 01/21/13 06:06 PM

The benefit for public forum discussions is that individual viewer can render his own opinion, so long as the information laid out are facts.

Market-driven economy (or some form of capitalism and globalization) gives (well educated) consumers the benefit. Others just pay the tuition to be more wise.

This is not to say vendors/dealers/manufacturers should be non-profit operations. On the other hand, there are many counter-examples such as camera shop sells many second-rate accessories, car dealers use service to make the profit, inkjet printer (essentially give away printers to sell) cartridges, etc. There ought to be a balanced point. You don't want to kill the hen but you don't want to buy eggs at astronomical (pun intended) price.

Enough said. Can we move on?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5635895 - 01/21/13 10:56 PM

I have a Pixel TW-282/DC0 for a Nikon camera. If I only needed a cable that would be safe and compatible I would be a happy camper. I really don't have a need for one but for the price of a cable I would use it at times. I have a pc with me all the time so it is not vital to have the remote.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: Stew57]
      #5636141 - 01/22/13 02:20 AM

mattflastro, thanks for bring up the questions and providing the links ... and you can see that this sub-forum is quite different from the rest of CN

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: core]
      #5636242 - 01/22/13 05:11 AM

I don't know anything about FCC's submissions or patents, but Rock specifically stated that he had both. So it's reasonable for Matt to ask about them, especially since they were cited as factors contributing to the high cost.

I don't know about you all, but when a question is asked, and the answer given does not appear to check out, I like to have things clarified.

mallin
Vendor - Mallincam Video

Reged: 01/27/11

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5636781 - 01/22/13 12:21 PM

Dear Matt,

Let me reassure how misinformed your are. I own other successful companies which we are involved in RF radio telecommunications. How can you possibly think patents and other copyright materials would be under one name? You have jumped to conclusion here.

I have designed several circuits for large firms in professional radio communication years ago (still do), my original trade is RF designer /technologist, where I own several patents on them including copyrights. I am not about to tell you nor I have to disclose any information to you nor I have to justify myself to you or anyone else about my practice of patents copyright or other forms of registrations and circuits for that matter. In fact, if you carefully look further into it, I mean get real info not from the internet, any devices that is "handcrafted" falls into different laws due to their "experimental" status and not into definitive company manufacturing. The country I live in is not the same as yours obviously.

About fans.... Well, You publicly admit here that you would offer people in getting inferior components and bad design in your statement. If you want to make a cooler with $4.00 fans go right ahead. You obviously do not care in what people needs as far as quality and well designed items not to mention lack of capacity to think how much research is needed into air flow and cooling among other things. We got our fans custom made by a firm where high flow, thin design, lightweight, durability, AND vibration free AND OUTDOOR USE were an important issues in our design. We only offer the finest in material and research and development into our product. A industry standard I have been practicing since 1985.

Customers deserve the best materials, design and and that is what we do for them. I am not about to let them down by offering cheaper fans, cheaper material and poor craftsmanship to them like you suggest, never. If this is your practice, I am no surprise at all.

Matt, I do not come here often for the exact reason of your posts. You make others suffer by reading you post and material and create doubts for no reason at all. This is a astronomy site. Please, respect it as a astronomy discussion site. Promote astronomy instead of knocking down others. If you claim you would use cheap inferior components such as cheap fans, please keep others out of your feud you have against me. Don't let others suffer on your account. You have disrespected everyone else in this forum by posting such accusation and creating unnecessary posts with misinformation.

Please show a little bit of respect to others in the name of astronomy and astronomer worldwide.

Sincerly,
Rock Mallin
MallinCam
Canada.

PS: This is my last post to you and I will not come back to read your reply. I have better things to do. Enjoy Astronomy!

A search on the USPTO (that's the US Patent and Trademarks Office ) revealed a total number of 0 = ZERO patents for you or your cameras .
But please correct me because I'm hoping to be wrong so please post your US patent numbers if you truly are holding any patents for anything in those cameras .
Incidentally, I do not intend to copy anything in your cameras or to deliberately use your Chinese suppliers , Mintron, Wakayama , Tucsen , GSO , Pixel etc.

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: mallin]
      #5636848 - 01/22/13 12:53 PM

Quote:

Dear Matt,

Let me reassure how misinformed your are.

Dear Rock,

You claimed you hold patents for the Mallincam circuits.
I found none and asked you for the patent numbers.
You reply with insults and obfuscation.
Why not do the simple and common sense thing of revealing your patent numbers for the cameras , instead of the above ?
Of course you don't HAVE to but since you talked so much about them it would be common sense to follow thru .

Regarding your fans, do you claim here that you are NOT using the Sunon Maglev fans from my link ? Or are you going to avoid this answer the same as the patents one.

I posted no link to cheap inferior fans whatsoever and the amount of obfuscation and blatant lies and misinformation you are spreading is astounding.
Every link I posted and statement I made is verifiable true .
Try to accuse me of slander , PLEASE.

And lastly, I have no feud against you, why would I ?
I was just looking into a video purchase and your stuff was the most hyped so it was a natural first choice.
Not for me anymore, after the way you are treating my simple questions in this public forum . You talk about respect while you are trying to intimidate and bully .
I do not want to become your customer and be told by you "why do you need to buy a spare cable" or overbilled for replacing your Sunon Maglev fan ,or who knows what else I find if I delve deeper into your cameras. Luckily this won't happen because I'm not going to ever buy one .
I am grateful to you for having such a short fuse though and helping me avoid being your customer .

Gratefully Yours.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#5636925 - 01/22/13 01:35 PM

You have this all wrong, Matt

Your posts are sickening
Rock has personally supplied me free of charge with upgraded cameras...i was willing to pay hundreds of dollars but he refused...
He is the real, genuine deal and his cameras are used worldwide...the BBC recently used an Xtreme and a Signature to show live views over 3 nights of prime time television in their annual Star Gazing Live shows. The operator of these cameras was a famous BBC camera man who wrote a rave review about Mallincams in January's Sky At Night Magazine.....Europe's largest circulation astro mag.

A few hours spent on NSN viewing live broadcasts will show immediately the difference in quality between Rock's cameras and other astro video cameras....it's a Ferrari playing with a Ford.

I am pleased you are not buying a Mallincam.
If you did there would no doubt be more of your unnecessary poison on other related forums.

Your loss, mate

Have fun with your el cheapo Samsung

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: HowardK]
      #5636974 - 01/22/13 02:03 PM

mattflastro

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: HowardK]
      #5636992 - 01/22/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

You have this all wrong, Matt

Your posts are sickening
Rock has personally supplied me free of charge with upgraded cameras...i was willing to pay hundreds of dollars but he refused...
He is the real, genuine deal and his cameras are used worldwide...the BBC recently used an Xtreme and a Signature to show live views over 3 nights of prime time television in their annual Star Gazing Live shows. The operator of these cameras was a famous BBC camera man who wrote a rave review about Mallincams in January's Sky At Night Magazine.....Europe's largest circulation astro mag.

A few hours spent on NSN viewing live broadcasts will show immediately the difference in quality between Rock's cameras and other astro video cameras....it's a Ferrari playing with a Ford.

I am pleased you are not buying a Mallincam.
If you did there would no doubt be more of your unnecessary poison on other related forums.

Your loss, mate

Have fun with your el cheapo Samsung

I know not of the poison you are speaking about .
I only asked about a wireless remote, a fan part number and a patent number.
Mortal sins in the minds of some , perhaps.
Also don't see what holding a patent or not, or false advertising has to do with the usage of the cameras. They can be good or bad irrespective of the maker holding or not a patent or bragging or bullying people.
Last but not least, try to not show this elitist attitude that owning an Mcam might give you the right to despise people playing with lowly cheap Sammys (that would be almost like camera racial discrimination)
Those people might not even own or "have fun" with the dirty cheap Samsung , you actually have no way of knowing .
I'll live with my loss and thanks for your blessings .

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5637268 - 01/22/13 04:20 PM

Quote:

mallin
Vendor - Mallincam Video

Reged: 01/27/11

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5637315 - 01/22/13 04:43 PM

Hi Matt,

Patent on the Hyper circuit; you don't even know under which name it is. Do yourself a favor, go back and read my last post. Everything is explained crystal clear. I replied to you because you brought forth accusation. I replied with answers to you in which, frankly are not your business but I still give you my answer. Go read back my reply to you. It is explained.

I am not replying with insult to you but merely answering back with what you said and acused me with, you have said these things. Not me!! You are twisting things around or simply do not comprehend the meaning of my reply. Emails are the worst way to communicate.

About the fans again... What is it I do not make myself clear? I have replied to you on this subject. Beside, you never answered me back on the meaning of FUD. I still don't understand the meaning. Please explain and you did not. So, you're the one who is not replying back correctly. You are attempting to twist things around here not me.

Based on what you said in your reply, I do not have anything against you. You are the one who started it all, not me. I never come here unless a situation calls for. In this case, you created the situation by accusing me of being "expensive", and the way I took your messages is you claim I am "ripping people off". Frankly, I don't care for money. My goal is for the advancement of astronomy and help people into it nothing else. I have said it many times publicly on other lists including this one which you obviously failed to read.

Matt, I have nothing against you. My business is my business. I have business ethics. Your reply do not conform to proper ethics. Keep in mind that you are the one who has started it all, not me. I have answered all your questions to you on this list.

If you need to talk to me, please do so by calling me in person at work. I'll gladly talk to you over the phone so no misunderstanding exist.

Now, What about FUD??? What is that? You accused me of FUD.

Peace.
Rock Mallin

PS: At least i sign my full name. Anything to hide? Can we please get back to astronomy, p l e a s e ! ! !

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: mallin]
      #5637588 - 01/22/13 07:24 PM

Enough already Matt. If you want to modify a stock controller for yourself go ahead and do it for yourself. You've had your say now move on. If you want to investigate patents, copyrights etc. go ahead. Leave the rest of us out of it.
I do a bunch of DIY stuff for myself. Some of the time I'd just rather spend my time working and using some of the money to just buy stuff. Others can't do the DIY thing and could care less about it.
As far as what something is worth, it's whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Mr. Mallin has a very good reputation with his customers. If you think his pricing is unfair, you are free to shop around, do it yourself, whatever. Just quit *BLEEP* about it here and do it.
Perhaps the time you spend ranting on this could be put to better use. Maybe modify a controller...

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
Re: Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 ! new [Re: plav1959]
      #5638373 - 01/23/13 08:06 AM

And we are done with this thread. Please note that if you have issues with a vendor, take it up with the vendor directly and not here in this forum. I invite polite and civilized discussion about a product, even disagreement about a product, but vendor bashing is not tolerated here or anywhere on Cloudy Nights.

Thanks.. time to move along.

Jason

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4435

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics