Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #6014007 - 08/08/13 03:38 PM

http://theskylive.com/ison-tracker

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CygnuS
sage

Reged: 07/11/11

Loc: The Great Rift
Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #6061354 - 09/03/13 05:18 PM

On page 2 of October's "Astronomy" magazine Celestron has an advertisement for equipment to view ISON. The top third of the ad features a beautiful night scene with a Great Comet in it. I assume it is a rendition of what ISON is hopefully going to look like. Yet the comet in this rendition is horizontal. Is this correct or did Celestron just not do its homework? Am I correct that ISON will be vertical, especially at its peak in magnitude?

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: CygnuS]
      #6062143 - 09/04/13 05:23 AM

Quote:

On page 2 of October's "Astronomy" magazine Celestron has an advertisement for equipment to view ISON. The top third of the ad features a beautiful night scene with a Great Comet in it. I assume it is a rendition of what ISON is hopefully going to look like. Yet the comet in this rendition is horizontal. Is this correct or did Celestron just not do its homework? Am I correct that ISON will be vertical, especially at its peak in magnitude?

Just delete the comet altogether, that will be a much more accurate representation of the apparition of Comet Ison.

It's bad enough having higgerant "science" reporters overblowing these things. To have a misrepresentation like this in an advertisement is criminal.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6064471 - 09/05/13 01:36 PM

ISON is currently around mag 11-12 and low to the horizon. Observers are back onto it as its recently exited solar conjunction a couple of weeks back.

However it will soon start to close the gap to the sun again as it races to its very close perihelion. Its the post perihelion period when we get a chance to see it at much more favourable elongations.

Note that the comet is actually only going to be bright for a short period - when its only a few degrees from the sun in the daylight sky! This seems be a point that many reporters to have totally neglected.

My personal bet its that it will perform much like PanSTARRS did back in March/April. I.e. when it gets deep enough in dark skies it will have dimmed significantly but still visible to the naked eye for a week or so.

John Wunderlin
Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

Reged: 10/01/04

Loc: Mineral Point, Wi
Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: Tonk]
      #6064610 - 09/05/13 02:51 PM

I imaged it a few days ago but haven't had time to check my data for the magnitude. My prediction: less than 'comet of the century', more than 'complete dud'

I'm hoping it's naked eye visible for more than a week, in fact I would be willing to bet you a can of soda that it's naked eye for at least 2 weeks- any takers? You'll have to come to Mineral Point for your payout

CygnuS
sage

Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: John Wunderlin]
      #6065136 - 09/05/13 08:17 PM

I've been telling folks that 80-90% of comets don't live up to the hype and I suspect this will be no exception. "Astronomy" magazine is going to have a lot of explaining to do if skeptics like us are right. On page 57 of January's edition the hype began and on Feb (page 4) it really took off. Hopefully I haven't wasted my money by ordering the special edition they've been advertising.
It seems as if the magazine has started to back off a little in October's edition by questioning ISON's ability to become a Great Comet (bottom of page 49).
Also, I noticed an error on the bottom of page 42. It says "Avoid observing from sites east of a city so you won't have to look through a veil of light pollution."
The problem is that the comet will be in the east so you WANT to be east of the city to avoid light pollution.

Edited by CygnuS (09/05/13 08:22 PM)

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
      #6069640 - 09/08/13 02:37 PM

We just got to hear Dr. Carey Lisse, head of NASA’s Comet ISON Observing Campaign speak at a star party about ISON on 9/7/13 and he said he would bet his first born child that this will be a "Kohoutek mark 2" and by alot of charts and graphs of magnitudes orbital elements and such its trendng JUST like Kohoutek did.

http://www.isoncampaign.org/

Edited by MessiToM (09/08/13 02:47 PM)

Tonk
Postmaster

Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6069979 - 09/08/13 05:37 PM

Quote:

this will be a "Kohoutek mark 2"

Indeed - but then again it was observing Kohoutek when I was 14 that hooked me into astronomy. At the time I didn't know it was supposed to be a "comet of the centaury"! so I just enjoyed finding it with binoculars and drawing it

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: Tonk]
      #6070186 - 09/08/13 08:20 PM

Personally I would be satisfied with a Kohoutek like comet. I wasnt alive when it was here but from pictures and info it seemed descent.

IIRC he guessed mag -5. Dont hold me to that though.

CygnuS
sage

#6070392 - 09/08/13 10:45 PM

When you're an experienced comet observer, hearing these predictions can be fun. It's almost like hearing sports analysts guess what's going to happen when they're chattering before a game. That's just part of it.
Reasonable fans listening to the chatter are still aware that their team could lose despite what's being said.
However when astronomers talk the public tends to take them pretty serious, thinking they know all the facts. That's why it's important to add disclaimers when talking about an upcoming "comet of a lifetime." Sometimes the public gets so excited they don't hear the disclaimer but we always have to try telling them anyways.

CygnuS
sage

#6070394 - 09/08/13 10:47 PM

By the way, I just learned that Comet West was pronounced Comet Vest. You learn something every day.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#6070471 - 09/08/13 11:52 PM

Quote:

Personally I would be satisfied with a Kohoutek like comet. I wasnt alive when it was here but from pictures and info it seemed descent.

IIRC he guessed mag -5. Dont hold me to that though.

In fact, Kohoutek very briefly attained about -3, but that phase lasted only a few hours and came at a time when the comet was unobservable from the ground. The first post perihelion sightings caught it at about zero magnitude, yet just 3 days thereafter it was already 3rd magnitude.

Kohoutek wasn't a very worthwhile sight unless you were situated out in the country with class 1 or 2 skies. Already having seen a number of truly good comets by then, I ranked Kohoutek as no more than a mediocre object, at best.

Brooks Obs

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
      #6070682 - 09/09/13 04:49 AM

Quote:

When you're an experienced comet observer, hearing these predictions can be fun. It's almost like hearing sports analysts guess what's going to happen when they're chattering before a game. That's just part of it.

Actually the pre-match "analysis" is what really turns me off sports broadcasts. The actual games aren't too bad. I don't think I'm the only one who wouldn't be unhappy if all the sports pundits could be made to vanish permanently.

Scientists, and science journalists, ought to know better.

There are only two predictable things about comets: their orbits, and the fact that the vast majority of them perform well below predictions.

Tonk
Postmaster

Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6070741 - 09/09/13 06:36 AM

Some observers are reporting ISON's recent magnitude with values ranging between 11.8 and 12.4 for 7th September - this is current play - not pre-match chatter (Source CometsML @ YahooGroups). These might be slightly under estimated too as the comet is low in the sky

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

#6070855 - 09/09/13 08:56 AM

Quote:

By the way, I just learned that Comet West was pronounced Comet Vest. You learn something every day.

YES and wild isn't like wild west its willd lol I didn't know either.

evilaviator

Reged: 08/17/13

Loc: Texas
      #6070864 - 09/09/13 09:01 AM

I've been keeping an eye on ISON with this website.

http://theskylive.com/ison-tracker

Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: evilaviator]
      #6071412 - 09/09/13 02:13 PM

Well, even if it isn't the "comet of the century", we may get a couple of nice views. I am planning to be out early with the bino's on Nov 24 - Ison, Encke, Mercury and Saturn will all be rising and within about 6 degrees of each other at around 6:30AM that day. Ison and Encke will be within about 2 degrees of each other - two comets in the FOV in binos should be nice, even if they aren't naked-eye visible. nice opportunity for some wide-field astrophotograhers, too. You just need to make sure you have a good view down to the horizon to the east.

We'll see how it does after perihelion. Could be really nice if it survives, but I'm not that confident it will - could go "poof" that close to the sun.

Jarad

CygnuS
sage

Re: C/2012 S1 ISON new [Re: Jarad]
      #6071937 - 09/09/13 07:23 PM

This Oct 15 alignment of Mars, Regulus and ISON sounds like it might be sweet. Regulus will be 2 degrees from ISON and Mars will be smack dab in between, a degree from each.

Tonk
Postmaster

#6072641 - 09/10/13 05:59 AM

Ok so Regulus and Mars will be observable but ISON will be drowned out by the others

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: C/2012 S1 ISON [Re: Tonk]
      #6073017 - 09/10/13 11:15 AM

So has anyone seen comet ISON yet?

I went out sat night for an all nighter, with my 180mm APM/TMB F6 refractor and a friend was using his LX-200 12" Meade SCT and we were hoping to get an early morning chance to hunt down Comet ISON but it was just too low for us to find. The Atmosphere that low that early was more than the seeing would allow. We just barely was able to pic out Mars and the Beehave was almost invisible, despite the skies being clear. Too bad for us.
We are gonna keep trying in a few weeks when ISON should be up sooner, hopefully it will get above the morning "muck" so it becomes visible.

Anyone else giving ISON a try now? Its time for the larger scopes to start picking it out under darking skies. New time I'll probably try it with my C14 if the conditions seem favorable. Currently, its touching the eastern horizon right at 3:30am, so another month from now it will be up about 2 hrs sooner and visible in smaller scopes.

Good luck to anyone giving ISON a try. I had lots of fun with PannStarr and Lemmon, now its ISON's time.

...Ralph in Sacramento

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21682

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics