Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
PaulEK
sage

Reged: 05/25/08

Loc: Wisconsin
G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing
      #5625532 - 01/16/13 12:53 AM

I only recently got a used G-11. I love it.

I did lots of research before purchasing it, and found out that it needs periodic cleaning and re-greasing of the RA and Dec axes to keep grease away form the clutch pads. I asked here on CN if anyone could point me to links with instructions on how to do this. I found that all of them went beyond this basic job to include things that were not part of it.

So, after doing the job, I made my own instructions, and posted them here.

That's a link to my 'blog', but I don't use it as one. It's more my website, where I put information about my business and interests. None of my other pages allow comments, and I didn't want this one to, but for some reason, it does; at least for now. I'd like comments on what I wrote, but I'd prefer them to made here on this thread. I've got no interest in moderating even a tiny part of the internet!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing new [Re: PaulEK]
      #5625928 - 01/16/13 10:21 AM

Nice job Paul. I have to do mine. It's coming up on two years. I haven't noticed any problems, but I know dirt and grease have built up in there. I'm not afraid to do the job, but your website has inspired me to get it done.

Thanks much.

Turk

PaulEK
sage

Re: G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing new [Re: turk123]
      #5625947 - 01/16/13 10:34 AM

Thanks, Turk!

I hope others find it useful as well.

Now I'm going to replace the old Hurst motors with newer stepper motors. The motors came from Losmandy yesterday, but with no instructions. I can't find any online, either; though there are lots of posts dealing with Gemini. If it's super easy, I won't bother, but if it seems like it would help, I'm going to take more pictures and make another post.

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5625999 - 01/16/13 11:01 AM

Paul,
It should be super easy. Remove the 2 cap screws holding the motors to the gearbox, remove motor. Put new motor on gearbox, reinstall 2 capscrews, done. I've cracked enough gearboxes to be able to replace the GB in ~10 minutes. That takes 2 capscrews, 2 oval head cap screws, remove GB cover, 2 hex standoffs, & loosening the coupler on the worm. Reinstallation: install GB, tighten 2 hex standoffs, tighten coupler, reinstall GB cover, tighten 1 oval headed capscrews, install motor, tighten 2 cap screws, done.
If you don't move the worm you shouldn't have to worry about the clearance. Check the GB backlash, it may be different than the old GB.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

PaulEK
sage

Re: G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5627100 - 01/16/13 10:00 PM

Startraffic:

It was pretty easy, though Losmandy sent me the motors already installed in their gear boxes. I just swapped one set out for the other (again, these are the stepper motors, not Gemini: I don't have Gemini).

And even though it was fairly easy, it took a bit of time to figure out just how to go about it in the easiest way. The old motors were not installed with the same offset system as the new one, and the wiring is different, too. So much so that, unlike with the old wire harness, I found that it worked best to move two of the wires to the other side of the motor in order to get them to fit inside the motor cover.

I figure I'm probably a middle-of-the-road tinkerer. I can figure out how to work things out without instructions or help better than some, but not so well as many I read here. What I think I'm pretty good at is explaining how to do things, especially to folks who maybe are not as good at figuring these things out, or who aren't -- like me and many others -- interested in figuring it out. They just want the instructions.

I've gotten a few thanks already for the Clutch-cleaning post, so that makes it worth it.

I took photos of the motor switching, too, and will probably make another post at my 'blog' (if I can figure out how to not allow comments!)

PaulEK
sage

#5627199 - 01/16/13 10:53 PM

I re-organized the articles on my website, so the link I provided to the article on cleaning and re-greasing may no longer work. Here's a new link. I hope it works!

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: Frostbite Falls
      #5627252 - 01/16/13 11:59 PM

Here is a great article which you may want to also consider doing. My mount definitely needs this done. http://www.helixgate.net/g11.html

PaulEK
sage

Re: G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #5627356 - 01/17/13 02:12 AM

Nebhunter:

I've read that article, and that's way beyond my skill set!

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #5628056 - 01/17/13 12:59 PM

Nebhunter,
I read that too, I think maybe you got a warped clutch plate. Possibly done when the shaft was installed. I'm fairly handy but THAT mod is out of my league. LOL

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

PaulEK
sage

Re: G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5629077 - 01/17/13 11:01 PM

One thing I do find interesting about having a blog is that I can see how many people have visited. I don't check very often, because I typically get less than five 'hits' a day.

But I just checked now, and in the past two days, there have been 250; almost all coming to the article on clutch cleaning!

bogg

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Bruce County Ontario
      #5633330 - 01/20/13 02:25 PM

Yes I just checked out your article. I am still debating on which mount to get. I have thought about G11, EQ6 CGEM and others. Reading your article bounced me back to G11. But I will probably fence sit for a few more months.

PaulEK
sage

Re: G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing new [Re: bogg]
      #5634037 - 01/20/13 10:20 PM

bogg:

I own an Orion Atlas (their version of the EQ6), and it does have go-to capability, which for many (most?) folks is a step up. But I just don't use the go-to, and prefer pushing the scope where I want it to go. The G-11 can also hold significantly more payload, and has much better fit and finish. The G-11 doesn't even seem to notice my 6-inch f/10 refractor, where the Atlas, though it carries it, struggles. The scope weighs about 30 pounds, but is fairly long. I also own a 10-inch reflector, which weighs 40 pounds. The Atlas is right at the edge with it. I haven't put it on the G-11 yet, but I'm confident that it won't have a problem.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5634092 - 01/20/13 10:51 PM

Excellent Paul Thank you.
I bought a G11 about 6 years ago and have been meaning to do a little maintenance.
I've book marked your instruction page, and will give it a try as soon as the warm spring weather arrives.

Clear Skies.

Steve

PaulEK
sage

Re: G-11 clutches clean-up and re-greasing new [Re: stevew]
      #5634648 - 01/21/13 10:25 AM

stevew:

I'm finding that the G-11 is very well designed for user maintenance and upgrades. I just finished making an RA spacer for it. I'll post about that once the paint is dry.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1112

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics