Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
LX-80 (Guess I got a good one)
      #5626541 - 01/16/13 04:33 PM Attachment (73 downloads)

Got upset about some of the negativity about my new mount, so I took a break from CN for awhile. During that time, my new LX-80 Multi-Mount arrived. I was able to test it with over 30lbs (my entire imaging setup) in equatorial mode. After a semi-accurate polar alignment, I hit 10 Messiers in an hour's time, and all were dead center. Vibration damping only took a second or so after slewing. There was no evident vibration at the eyepiece unless I really bumped it pretty hard. I was all geared up to put it in my observatory and try it photographically, and then the rains set in. My new Skyshed is leaking and I have ordered new molding from Skyshed that has yet to arrive. Also, it has literally rained ever since, and my night out with the mount was two weeks before Christmas! It's hard to stay away from Cloudy Nights, when that is all, and I do mean ALL I am having at home! I will report on my photographic attempts whenever I am able to make any. But I do appear to have a good LX-80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for what that is worth. Here is a picture of everything loaded up and in the field on that one night. (Vixen R130SF, AT6RC, WO 66)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
punk35
sage

Reged: 01/26/05

Loc: lower michigan
Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: Jmax]
      #5626584 - 01/16/13 04:59 PM

that's good to hear

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5626635 - 01/16/13 05:26 PM

Jmax,

I got a good one also and, like you, almost no days since mid-December to use it.

That's a nice looking set up you have. I'm looking forward to your AP results.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5626678 - 01/16/13 05:47 PM

Good to hear, nice looking setup!

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: rigel123]
      #5626697 - 01/16/13 06:01 PM

Congratulations on the mount. Though I'm not a Meade fan of late, it's good to here there are some LX series mounts being delivered.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5626717 - 01/16/13 06:12 PM

AWESOME That's the best picture I've seen. I'm really happy you received a good one.

I too look forward to some AP from you.

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: Raginar]
      #5626741 - 01/16/13 06:26 PM

Great news. I should receive mine back from Meade hopefully this week with the slop issue resolved. Really hoping that I can rejoice with you soon. I will post results once I get mine back. I sent it back December 6.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: Raginar]
      #5626754 - 01/16/13 06:32 PM

You're using short focal lengths. The problems have been reported with things like your C9.25.

-Rich

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5626768 - 01/16/13 06:40 PM

Thanks Debbie downer.

Trombone: Wop wahhhhhhhh.....

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: gillmj24]
      #5626788 - 01/16/13 06:48 PM

I'm an engineer; it's what we do.

-Rich

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
      #5626926 - 01/16/13 08:14 PM

Yeah me too. A helluva one at that.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5626992 - 01/16/13 08:46 PM

You escaped from GT, also?

-Rich

turtledude1

Reged: 10/08/08

Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM
      #5626997 - 01/16/13 08:51 PM

Found this on yahoo Meade LX 200 group, this doesn't sound good at all, enjoy your mount it may be one of the last.
too bad.

On January 14th Meade filed a 10-Q with the SEC. Their financial condition is not good. You can see the entire filing here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/130114/mead10-q.html

Here is the troubling section:

The Company has incurred significant recurring losses and negative cash flows from operations which have resulted in reduced liquidity and a weakened financial position as of November 30, 2012. The Company also has endured working capital problems caused by product development delays during the past twelve months. In addition, in January 2013, the Company's largest customer, and one additional customer, notified the Company that they had unilaterally, and without prior notice, decided to indefinitely hold payment of approximately $0.6 million in accounts receivable, which will further reduce the Company's already limited liquidity. Due to these issues, the Company's management now believes substantial doubt exists about the Company's ability to continue as a going concern and that it must modify the Company's business model and operations to reduce spending to a sustainable level. Such actions could cause the Company to be unable to execute its business plan, take advantage of future opportunities, respond to competitive pressures or customer requirements. It may also cause the Company to delay, scale back or eliminate some or all of its research and development programs, seek opportunities in a strategic relationship or business combination, or to reduce or cease operations.

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: turtledude1]
      #5627019 - 01/16/13 09:03 PM

That's been posted in 4 or 5 places already, do we really need it in another thread?

Edited by Griffin! (01/16/13 09:04 PM)

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5627121 - 01/16/13 10:10 PM

That's what we like to hear!!

David

Jmax
professor emeritus

#5627175 - 01/16/13 10:39 PM

That's true, but these three together weigh more than it. So visually I think it will be fine. I'm not really planning on using the 9.25 for photography just yet. I want to get better with the fast scopes first, well the AT6RC isn't really fast, before I try it. I do have the autoguider attachment on backorder. When it arrives I'll think about trying something with the 9.25.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: LX-80 (Guess I got a good one) new [Re: turtledude1]
      #5627617 - 01/17/13 08:42 AM

Meade received my returned LX80 on January 2nd. I still have not heard from them when they will be sending the refund check. Hopefully that will be soon.

Jack H

Jmax
professor emeritus

One More Note (Tracking) and Picture new [Re: Jmax]
      #5627953 - 01/17/13 12:00 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

I forgot to mention that tracking was excellent. I left it centered on M31 for an hour, and I could see no discernible motion in the eyepiece at all. This was visual, mind you, and it was through my f/5 reflector, but it really seemed to track better than my EQ5P. The real test will be when I start trying to take pictures, I know, but for now I am happy with the mount. We are currently under a Winter Storm Warning with up to 6" of snow possible this afternoon. Hey, this is Alabama! I'm quite sure my new observatory and mount have something to do with the strange weather.

Oh, and here is another picture of the mount all loaded up and waiting in my man cave... and waiting, and waiting, and... well, you get the picture.

Seriously, thanks for all the positive feedback, and even if Meade does go belly-up, it might turn out to be quite a collectors item, who knows!

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: One More Note (Tracking) and Picture new [Re: Jmax]
      #5628268 - 01/17/13 03:09 PM

The LX80 looks so beefy, I just don't get how it would not be able to handle at least half of the stated weight. I watched a guy with an LX80 recently and was surprised at how beefy it is.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: One More Note (Tracking) and Picture new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5628303 - 01/17/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

The LX80 looks so beefy, I just don't get how it would not be able to handle at least half of the stated weight. I watched a guy with an LX80 recently and was surprised at how beefy it is.

I don't discount Meade could have changed something, but it would have to have been recently. Oh, the mount LOOKS beefy, but it is shaky. Very shaky.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2288

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics