Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
dogeddie
sage

Reged: 03/26/10

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
telescope care opinions new
      #5627059 - 01/16/13 09:33 PM

I have a Meade 8" LX-90 I recently acquired and have a couple things I wanted to get advice from readers on:

1) I know it sounds anal, but do you guys ever wax the outside of the optical tube of your scope to keep it protected and shiny new?

2) How many people store the scope outside to forego getting it acclimated to outside temps? My old scope is an ETX 125, and that's easy to leave set up in the house, collapse the legs, and plop it outside. The LX is pretty heavy though, and takes a good hour or two to get ready for viewing. Yet I am afraid of condensation and such leaving it out as I live in a weather zone with some fairly extreme temperature variances, and kids with basketballs and dirtbikes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: loozyanna
Re: telescope care opinions new [Re: dogeddie]
      #5627195 - 01/16/13 10:51 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

unless you want to almost never do any viewing because you dont want your scope to get wet, you cannot avoid dew. thats why we use dew/light shields, dew heaters, sorted materials to wrap the optical tubes, hairdryers for maybe undewing a dewed up corrector or objective or mostly for drying out a soaked OTA and mount/tripod, and stainless steel screw sets.

yes many have used carwax on their beloved (and expensive) scopes.

and some leave theirs outside with various ways to try to keep them dry with anything from a plastic shed to covers from... is it Astrozap? no, there is another name brand cover that many swear by through hurricanes with but I at the moment cannot think of it. they put lights, drying packs, fans, heaters, and all other kinds of ways to try to prevent condensation.

as far as the kids with basketballs and dirtbikes are concerned... get a pittbull and train him to love HIS scope.

Theo

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #5627225 - 01/16/13 11:22 PM

I've had my 12" LX200 "Classic" out in the observatory for 11 years. The weather runs from the low 90's and humid in the summer to -20 F in the winter. I leave it loosely covered with an old bed sheet when it's not in use. Never had a problem. I use "Pledge" furniture wax to shine up the OTA every Spring. The old scope still looks pretty good.

dogeddie
sage

Re: telescope care opinions [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5627572 - 01/17/13 08:08 AM

I think the worst time would be on the early spring days when all the moisture comes out of the concrete. Seems like everything in my garage is wet. Guess I could bring it in during that time. Mildew in the tube would be a drag.

dogeddie
sage

#5645196 - 01/26/13 10:10 PM

Lets say I was to leave the scope in the garage, covered with a sheet. I would tip the tube so the rear port is up in the air, I assume, but would you leave the rear port open or replace the screw on cover? Seems like leaving it off would allow better air circulation, yet that just doesn't seem right either.Any thoughts?

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5645870 - 01/27/13 11:26 AM

I always park my scope in the observatory pointed upward..... Only reason is that in the summer it gets hot inside and the last thing I want to happen is that the grease melts and drops onto the corrector plate...

Not really a problem as it does not get that hot
as I keep it under 105 degrees without much effort

I no longer even bother to cover my scope ...we had a "stink bug" convention locally a few years ago and when I uncovered my scope I disrupted a major large committee meeting of the darn things..

I do dust it off with a California Duster rather frequently and wipe it down with a Car Detailing spray... (it has to look good if I expect it to show me objects that look good lol )

Bob G.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: telescope care opinions new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5646182 - 01/27/13 02:38 PM

I periodially use a high-quality car polish on my OTA. Works great, and the dust brushes off the polished surface easily. That old smooth Meade-blue finish is great looking, and worth keeping shiny.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 934

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics