Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars
      #5628782 - 01/17/13 08:02 PM

I just answered a private message asking me how to convert a 0.965" Jason 313 to use 1.25" oculars. It occurs to me that this is better on the public forum, where others might find it.

This method will work for many scopes, but not all. Some have problems reaching focus with the longer diagonal and the extra inch or so of back focus required by the adapter. Sorry; I'm no expert on that. I've heard about it, but have not yet had the problem myself. But -- for those for whom this will work:

<><><><><>

Blue Fireball 0.965"-to-1.25" adapter has a compression ring to protect your oculars, and extra strong aluminum, allowing a thin tube to prevent vignetting:

http://agenaastro.com/blue-fireball-0-965-1-25-eyepiece-adapter.html

Celestron prism diagonal -- yes, prism! At long focal lengths, there is good argument for prisms over mirrors. 100% internal reflection, no trouble with chromatic fringes, no coatings to break down over time, easier to clean. This one should be exactly like mine, with an oddly unadvertised anti-reflective coating on the prism. Astronmics could confirm that:

http://www.astronomics.com/celestron-1-25-inch-prism-diagonal_p3601.aspx

If you need low-cost eyepieces, get 40mm, 25mm, 15mm, and 2x Barlow discounted set:

http://www.owlastronomy.com/superplossl.htm

One problem using modern oculars with their bigger diagonals, and a trick: They are far heavier than the 0.965" originals, so the scope won't balance. Go to the hardware store and buy a 3' length of lightweight chain and some S-hooks to attach to each end. Cover the end of the S-hook with electrical tape so it won't scratch the dew shield, and hang it there. Adjust where the scope sits in the mount until it balances. The chain will also absorb vibration, so the scope will settle faster.

Always a pleasure helping a classic scope and its astronomer!

Edited by Joe Cepleur (01/17/13 08:03 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5628862 - 01/17/13 08:50 PM

If your refractor has a combination drawtube/r&p then focus will not be a problem with an adapter. Since many simple R&P's will not have enough in-focus to accommodate the extra length of the adapter, a hybrid diagonal such as this one on EBay might be a better solution. Bear in mind that you are still working with a .965" focuser, so long focal length 1.25" eyepieces, such as a 32mm Plossl, will be vignetted in the field of view.

tecmage
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5628944 - 01/17/13 09:47 PM

Joe,
Does the Vixen 3720 work as well? I'm thinking about buying one of these because it screws into the drawtube.

TheMadHatter

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: eastern iowa, USA
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: tecmage]
      #5628975 - 01/17/13 10:04 PM

David, that one works very well for the jason model 311, it still seems a bit out of focus that could be due to collimation issues on the scope itself.

Never really thought about doing it this way, since i found the hybrid diangle, very interesting. It may help focus the object better.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: TheMadHatter]
      #5629017 - 01/17/13 10:29 PM

I don't know whether the Vixen 3720 works in the Jason 313, nor do I have one to test. I'll measure the openings, and then guess at the threads. I'd swap my current rig for that in a heartbeat if it would work. Stay tuned...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: David E]
      #5629151 - 01/17/13 11:52 PM

Quote:

If your refractor has a combination drawtube/r&p then focus will not be a problem with an adapter. Since many simple R&P's will not have enough in-focus to accommodate the extra length of the adapter, a hybrid diagonal such as this one on EBay might be a better solution. Bear in mind that you are still working with a .965" focuser, so long focal length 1.25" eyepieces, such as a 32mm Plossl, will be vignetted in the field of view.

Ideally, one's scope has a full sized drawtube and only needs an adapter like the Vixen to use 1.25 inch eyepieces without vignetting. But some telescopes have a small diameter drawtube that can only use a hybrid diagonal or something like the Blue Fireball. Some though don't have enough back focus to focus with even a hybrid diagonal. Each scope is an individual challenge.

My old Asahi-Pentax is a case in point. It has the full sized drawtube and the diameter is right for the Vixen adapter but the thread pitch is wrong. Scrounging through my parts boxes I discovered that the eyepiece end of the 1.25 inch diagonal that came with a Burgess Optical 102F/6 was a perfect fit. When I saw another diagonal available on Astromart I bought it just to be prepared and sure enough, one day another Asahi-Pentax showed up on Craigslist and I was already prepared.

Jon

grendel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/12/09

Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5629344 - 01/18/13 04:41 AM

I have several methods I use on my various scopes, one has the correct thread for the vixen adaptor, another with the long drawtube I use either a hybrid prism diagonal, or a straight through .965 - 1.25" adaptor I have (you need about 1.25" extra in focus, but if the scope originally came with a diagonal this should work straight through (might not work if you then try and use a 1.25" diagonal)
I even have a hybrid erecting prism diagonal too, so where there is a will there is a way.
Grendel

Grava T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5629422 - 01/18/13 07:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ideally, one's scope has a full sized drawtube and only needs an adapter like the Vixen to use 1.25 inch eyepieces without vignetting. But some telescopes have a small diameter drawtube that can only use a hybrid diagonal or something like the Blue Fireball. Some though don't have enough back focus to focus with even a hybrid diagonal. Each scope is an individual challenge.

My old Asahi-Pentax is a case in point. It has the full sized drawtube and the diameter is right for the Vixen adapter but the thread pitch is wrong. Scrounging through my parts boxes I discovered that the eyepiece end of the 1.25 inch diagonal that came with a Burgess Optical 102F/6 was a perfect fit. When I saw another diagonal available on Astromart I bought it just to be prepared and sure enough, one day another Asahi-Pentax showed up on Craigslist and I was already prepared.

Jon

Jon, I use the .965"-1.25" adapter on my Asahi Jupiter and it works just fine but a 1.25" visual back would be better. I discovered, like you, that the Vixen adapter threads are not quite right for the drawtube unfortunately. I will try the eyepiece end from one of my diagonals...thanks for the tip.

Ducky62
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: The ATL
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: Grava T]
      #5697010 - 02/23/13 05:19 PM

Somebody else test this hybrid diagonal out and report back

GSO .965/1.25" 99% Dielectric Hybrid Diagonal w/ Compression Ring

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: Ducky62]
      #5697082 - 02/23/13 06:33 PM

This question came up recently in the Yahoo 60mm forum and I addressed it as follows.It does depend on the in to out focus travel of the focusers on the scopes in question whether you'll need the adapter or the hybrid . Some of the 60mm TOWA scopes in my group such as the TASCO 9TE-5 , the Jason #311 Constellation, the TASCO 50mm 6TE-5 Cosmic and certain other 60mms have about 2.5 " of in to out focus travel, so the hybrids should work fine. They will not allow an adapter in the configuration so you dont need one if your scope has this type of focuser. All other 60mms can take the adapter, like the Jason #313 Discoverer,the TASCO 7TE and 7TE-5 or the Bushnell Sky Chief. Gary(G)

OneGear

Reged: 12/30/11

Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #5702345 - 02/26/13 07:44 PM

I replaced the entire focuser on my Tasco. It's not "classic" in the valuable sense so I happily modified it.

The focuser from a Meade NG60 fits nicely and is better in every way. It would probably fit most 60mm scopes that use three screws through the tube to fasten the focuser.

Roger64

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: tecmage]
      #5702943 - 02/27/13 06:31 AM

PM sent.

labmand
sage

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: Roger64]
      #5727182 - 03/12/13 12:00 AM

OneGear, Is the Meade NG60 plastic? Any metal 60mm focusers availabe new today?
BaraBinoSr, Do I understand this correctly
I should be able to get a vintage Jason #313 Discoverer,the TASCO 7TE and 7TE-5 or the Bushnell Sky Chief, remove the
drawtube/focuser and mount it on my Vintage Sears Discoverer?

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: labmand]
      #5727316 - 03/12/13 01:39 AM

Hi Dave! The TASCO 7TE-5 or 7TE focuser will not fit your Sears Discoverer because they were made by an old Japanese firm called Royal Astro Optical and they thread into a ring mounted on the tube.Sears used to market a 3-inch made by Royal Astro. The scopes made by TOWA- Sears Discoverer, Bushnell Sky Chief III and the Jason Model #313 Discoverer (depending on the year of construction) all have the same or similar focusers. Gary

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #5727689 - 03/12/13 09:12 AM

Could machine an adapter to put a feathertouch or AP focuser on there .. Just being funny I held an AP focuser up to my Sears 6339 and Laughed. It weighs more than the whole OTA

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Adapting 0.965" Scopes for 1.25" Oculars new [Re: bremms]
      #5727698 - 03/12/13 09:15 AM

Thing is, It wouldn't be hard to retrofit a different focuser on the Sears Royal Astro. but the drawtube is so long, you would need an extension of some kind. Then the scope looses it's charm without that long slender bright chrome drawtube.

labmand
sage

#5727906 - 03/12/13 11:17 AM

Thanks BarabinoSr/ Gary
I have a Jason 313 SYW Yamamoto 60mm
I was able to screw an adapter from one of my other scopes
on the Jason draw tube for 1.25 use. works great. Was hoping to find a similar large drawtube focuser to place on the Sears main tube, to replace the .96 focuser. The Jason 313 like mine are not something you see everyday, Was hoping to get a list of large drawtube/focuser telescopes that would work with just an adapter for 1.25 use. Something
that I would be able to find easely. Thanks for any help

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5728050 - 03/12/13 12:26 PM

My swift Aerolite has the Vixen thread. It is a Carton scope.

labmand
sage

#5728378 - 03/12/13 03:16 PM

Thanks Bremms, have not seen to many swift or Cartons
out there, Sure would be nice to be able to pickup a
decent metal focuser for these 60mm vintage scopes,
anyone have any idea's
An Please forgive me if I'm highjacking this thread

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5733564 - 03/15/13 07:38 AM

Ther is always the option of getting a Crawmach crayford focuser...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2056

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics