Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
Kildar13x

Reged: 07/06/11

Loc: Maine
Just ordered a Z12
      #5628912 - 01/17/13 09:24 PM

Just bought a Z12 can't wait for it to get here. I do need some advice on what to get for a good collimating tool though.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff Porter

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Utah
Re: Just ordered a Z12 new [Re: Kildar13x]
      #5628981 - 01/17/13 10:10 PM

Congrats on the 12" scope. I have a XX12 and DSOs really come alive at this aperture.

For collimation I use CatsEye tools. There is no substitute for precise collimation and cool down if you want to get the most from your scope. Howie Glatter tools are very nice as well. His combo of a laser and a TuBlug make collimating the primary mirror very easy. I have a 1.25" TuBlug which does a great job on my 6" dob.

Jeff P

cpr1
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/12

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Just ordered a Z12 new [Re: Jeff Porter]
      #5629008 - 01/17/13 10:24 PM

Congrats, on your Z12. I have one too. It gives great views and has great motions. I have the Glatter tools also 2 inch laser and tublug. But, for the longest I used the supplied laser after collimating it it worked fine. I also used a barlow with the laser for primary mirror adjustment. Also have a celestron sight tube to line up the secondary under focuser.

First things I would add would be a telrad, something comfortable to sit on and star chart.
Be prepared to be wowed if you are going from your c6 to a 12. THX.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Just ordered a Z12 new [Re: cpr1]
      #5629076 - 01/17/13 11:01 PM

You won't regret it.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: Just ordered a Z12 new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5629159 - 01/17/13 11:58 PM

i had one about 6 months ago, for the $ i dont think you can beat it. its very well constructed and the views are great! i sold it shortly after because i needed something with goto or pushto because my sky isn't dark enough to star hop so i went with a orion 10" intelliscope. the 10" is much more manageable and not really a lot of difference in what you can see. take it to dark skies and it will blow your mind!!!!!!!!!!! good luck. donnie

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
      #5629160 - 01/17/13 11:58 PM

Congratulations on your purchase of the Z12! I've owned one for over 3 years and enjoy using it. I second what someone else said about adding a Telrad plus its 4 inch riser mounting bracket. Really makes it easier to sight through.

The Glatter and the Catseye collimators are some of the best from what I hear. I use the Hotech 2 inch collimator plus I do a final check with a Cheshire sight tube collimating tool. Works for me!

Gary

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5629163 - 01/18/13 12:02 AM

Quote:

Just bought a Z12 can't wait for it to get here. I do need some advice on what to get for a good collimating tool though.

When it comes to packing the most performance into the simplest, most easily used package, it's hard to beat the 12 inch F/5 GSO Dobsonian. There are a lot of fancier scopes out there but not many that will show you more..

As far as collimating tools. It one is careful to be sure the collimator is collimated and fits reasonably well in the focuser and if one uses the Barlowed-Laser technique of Nils Olof Carlin to adjust the primary mirror, then the stock laser is workable.

I am a big fan of Howie Glatter's collimators. I bought my first one about a dozen years ago, it's still going strong thought I have since added a 2 inch Howie Glatter. It's nice having a solid, reliable tool that is accurately made and needs no attention itself.

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Just ordered a Z12 new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5629742 - 01/18/13 11:20 AM

+1 on the Glatter Laser/Tublug. You'll never have to buy another...stay away from the cheap lasers....and the one that comes with the scope makes a great cat toy....but not much else.....

WStewart
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/02/05

Loc: Dallas, TX
Re: Just ordered a Z12 new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5629799 - 01/18/13 11:50 AM

Another vote for the Glatter laser/tublug, and also consider getting Bob's Knobs or some other thumbscrews for the secondary mirror collimation...that way you can do away with using a screwdriver (they don't play well with primary mirrors).

Kildar13x

Reged: 07/06/11

Loc: Maine
Re: Just ordered a Z12 new [Re: WStewart]
      #5629883 - 01/18/13 12:34 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I was definitely planning on getting Bobs Knobs and upgrading the springs, from what I have heard the springs are kind of weak. I will also look into the Telrad. Thanks again guys!

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #5630528 - 01/18/13 08:18 PM

Spend a little time on the "Mega-Mods for Zhumell" thread here in the Reflectors forum. It is full of good ideas and potential new friends.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5630554 - 01/18/13 08:35 PM

here is what you need for Collimation. They have really good optics but keep going out of collimation. I solved it once and for all by going to the hardware store and getting some much heavier springs to go onto the mirror adjustment bolts. The stock ones are just not stiff enough!
After doing this I hardly EVER had to touch it again untill
the day I bought my 12" LX200!
The guy that bought it drove 4 hrs 1 way to get it.
He called me a few days later and even tho it was on its side bouncing in back he didn't even have to touch collimation!

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 779

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics