Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Cj1319

Reged: 01/17/11

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
Precision Centering Adapter
      #5629022 - 01/17/13 10:33 PM

Hello all,
I plan on buying a laser collimator to tune up my XT8. I noticed that Orion sells a Precision Centering Adapter. Is that worth getting for collimation and/or regular eyepiece viewing?
Thanks,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/18/06

Loc: United States
Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: Cj1319]
      #5629046 - 01/17/13 10:47 PM

I would get the Glatter Parallizer - a great adapter that ensures that your collimator and 1.25" eyepieces are held parallel to the optical axis.

http://www.collimator.com/parallizer.htm

In fact, I would get a Glatter laser collimator as well.

Edited by dpwoos (01/17/13 10:48 PM)

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: dpwoos]
      #5629069 - 01/17/13 10:56 PM

for the difference in price I would get the parallizer.

Cj1319

Reged: 01/17/11

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: panhard]
      #5630548 - 01/18/13 08:28 PM

Thanks for the responses, I will look into the parallizer.

Is that something that is highly recommended for a beginner, or do you think that money would be better spent on other accessories/eyepieces?

dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

#5630692 - 01/18/13 10:21 PM

It is a great adapter, so if you need one then this is a worthwhile purchase. However, more important is a laser collimator. Again, if you need one of these then the Glatter is a great choice. Collimating is necessary, and many folks (including me) find a laser easy and effective. You can always use it with the adapter that you already have, and discover for yourself if the Parallizer is something that you need. I think that you do need it, but really it is best for you to figure that out for yourself.

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
      #5630731 - 01/18/13 10:37 PM

There are lots of reasons why a centering adapter is a good idea, especially for consistent collimation, and Howie builds some of the highest precision devices I've ever seen. I got a look at his Paralizer at ASAE and it's exactly what I'd expect from him. I can't compare it to any others as it's the only one I've actually laid hand on.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5631103 - 01/19/13 07:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the responses, I will look into the parallizer.

Is that something that is highly recommended for a beginner, or do you think that money would be better spent on other accessories/eyepieces?

I don't recommend it. When you are collimating your scope, the secondary tilt is set with the laser, it is important that the laser be properly square with the focuser. This is not difficult to achieve by making sure the laser is properly seated in the drawtube. When setting the primary tilt with a laser, the Barlowed laser is the proper technique and again, it is just necessary to make sure the Laser is properly seated in the focuser.

If you are going to use a laser, what is important is that the laser itself is a high quality laser, that it fits the focuser without significant slop and that the laser itself is collimated. I recommend Howie Glatter laser collimators, I have two, one is about 12 years old and still going strong.

An 8 inch F/6 Newtonian has relatively relaxed collimation tolerances. You have better ways to spend your money.

Jon

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Franklin, Indiana
Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5631167 - 01/19/13 08:43 AM

Are these even in stock? His ad mentions "reserving" one.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5631168 - 01/19/13 08:44 AM

I agree with what Jon said and will add that a Cheshire tube and a collimation cap are all you really need to collimate your 8" f/6 scope. If you really want a laser then I agree with all the suggestions above. Don't waste your money on something cheap that will hurt collimation more than help. If the day comes that you get a big truss Dob you'll be glad you spent the difference on good tools.

Ed D

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: Ed D]
      #5631783 - 01/19/13 03:39 PM

I bought one and own it. Got one when I bought my XT8 kit from orion. I use it for putting eyepieces in. It's really nothing special just more of a gadget. As the others have mentioned not worth spending the money on. I also have the orion laser collimator another newbie purchase at the start. As Jon mentions the lasers themselves are often not collimated. Mine is off by just a bit not terribly but I will no doubt by a Howie Glatter system when I can.
The XT8 is pretty easy to collimate once you get the hang of it. Spend some time reading in the forums and take a cloudy night and work on getting the collimation down. You should see the center ring on the primary with the collimation cap orion includes.

I would read this excellent thread below. It helps quite a bit with collimation.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=reflector...

If you need any more help. As in the forum and one of the more experienced folks ( not me!) can give some more tips.

Hope it helps

Ken

dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5631983 - 01/19/13 06:13 PM

Quote:

I bought one and own it. Got one when I bought my XT8 kit from orion. I use it for putting eyepieces in. It's really nothing special just more of a gadget. As the others have mentioned not worth spending the money on.

I think my Glatter Parallizer is absolutely worth it. Given that your laser collimator is not accurate then you might not realize how important it is to hold it parallel to the optical axis. Even a relatively small tilt will cause one to mis-collimate. All of this is not to say that I advocate that every newbie run out and buy one. It is always best to educate oneself, and a bit of struggle collimating might make the Parallizer's value obvious. Of course, maybe not and that is ok too.

Adam Taylor
insignificant bystander

Reged: 11/11/10

Loc: Arizona
      #5631997 - 01/19/13 06:39 PM

Antares Twist-Lock Eyepiece Adapter, $31 shipped - same as Orion's Precision Centering Adapter. Easily my favorite add-on.

Heitman
sage

Reged: 01/26/07

Loc: Reeds, NC
Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: Adam Taylor]
      #5632100 - 01/19/13 07:36 PM

Hi,
I have The Parallizer, and to me it works great. Without it, every time I put the laser in, the beam always ends up pointing to a slightly different place. Using The Parallizer, problem solved. Worth it to me.
Tim

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

#5632110 - 01/19/13 07:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I bought one and own it. Got one when I bought my XT8 kit from orion. I use it for putting eyepieces in. It's really nothing special just more of a gadget. As the others have mentioned not worth spending the money on.

I think my Glatter Parallizer is absolutely worth it. Given that your laser collimator is not accurate then you might not realize how important it is to hold it parallel to the optical axis. Even a relatively small tilt will cause one to mis-collimate. All of this is not to say that I advocate that every newbie run out and buy one. It is always best to educate oneself, and a bit of struggle collimating might make the Parallizer's value obvious. Of course, maybe not and that is ok too.

I don't have the gladder version. I do understand what you mean about the laser being out. I often have to adjust with the collimation cap. The laser gets me close.

I have heard good things about the gladder stuff. I still have much to learn with collimation so I may be missing some of the advantages.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5632119 - 01/19/13 07:43 PM

Quote:

The Newtonian Axial collimation tolerances for the focuser are not as tight as one might assume. For a Newtonian with out a coma corrector, Vic Menard states the tolerance is about 1/30th of the mirror diameter. For an 8 inch telescope this is close to 7mm. This is a radius, diameter would be 14mm which just happens to be the diameter of the reinforcing dot that typically marks the center of the mirror. With a Paracorr it would be 0.5% or about 1mm for an 8 inch. This is definitely doable a collimated laser that fits properly in the focuser.

More critical is the adjustment of the primary tilt. This should be done with a Barlowed laser which is insensitive to errors in the focuser/secondary alignment. For an F/6 telescope this needs to be within about 1 mm.

Catseye Collimation: Newtonian Axial Tolerances

Jon

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

#5632129 - 01/19/13 07:50 PM

Jon,
I have a question about the gladder collimator. Is the 1 1/4 or 2 the way to go. I have an XT8 may get a bigger dob someday. I read the article below and used this technique with a 2X barlow and a red filter with the paper disk cut out. I have also followed the other advise in the forums about looking through the focuser and seeing the whole primary mirror. I seem to be getting it very close and I am getting excellent views with my scope. Just curious on the Howie Gladder laser and TuBlug since they can get pricey.

http://www.cameraconcepts.com/barlowed%20laser%20collimation.pdf

Thanks again for your advice.

Ken

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Precision Centering Adapter new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5632391 - 01/19/13 10:52 PM

Quote:

Is the 1 1/4 or 2 the way to go.

These days I think a 2 inch is the way to go unless you already have some scopes with 1.25 inch focusers. But I believe Howie Glatter makes a 1.25 inch-2 inch for the same price as the 2 inch alone so to me that makes sense.

I have two, my original 1.25 inch collimator is about 12 years old, the second one is a 2 inch 635nm that's about 5 years old. The 635nm is brighter to the eye, useful in collimating truss scopes during the day. With my big scope, it's 10 feet from the collimator to the mirror..

Jon

dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

#5632522 - 01/20/13 12:54 AM

I think that it is best to hold one's collimator in the same way as one's high power eyepieces. So, since I use all 1.25" eyepieces for high power then I think my 1.25" collimator is exactly what I want - however the collimator sits in the focuser is how my 1.25" eyepieces sit.

On the focuser axial tilt thing, I don't see how this applies to the Parallizer and a laser collimator. We are not talking about properly collimating and then tilting only the eyepeice, but rather mis-collimating the secondary and then the primary because of a mis-aimed collimator. It really is the same case as having a wonky collimator.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5632603 - 01/20/13 03:31 AM

Quote:

On the focuser axial tilt thing, I don't see how this applies to the Parallizer and a laser collimator. We are not talking about properly collimating and then tilting only the eyepeice, but rather mis-collimating the secondary and then the primary because of a mis-aimed collimator. It really is the same case as having a wonky collimator.

The secondary will be misaligned if indeed there is a problem with the fit of the focuser but Vic's tolerances allow for a significant error without a problem. This does not result in a miscollimated primary because the primary mirror should be adjusted using a Barlowed laser, not the return beam of the collimator.

The value of using the Barlowed Laser can easily be seen with a simple comparison. Insert the collimator into the focuser but make sure it is loose. While looking at the return beam on the collimator face, rock the collimator in the focuser. The return beam will be seen to dance across the face of the collimator.

The second step is to use the Barlowed laser, insert the Barlow with the target in the focuser, leaving it loose. Insert the laser into the Barlow and while watching the target on the face of the Barlow, rock the laser in focuser. This time, the dark shadow of the primary mirror center mark does not move on the face of the target even though the laser is moving about and the pattern on the primary can be seen to move.

This is the genius of the Nils Olof Carlin's Barlowed Laser Technique, it is only sensitive to the alignment of the primary mirror. Without the Barlowed Technique, accurate collimation of the primary with a laser is not possible because there are too many other factors involved, with the Barlowed Technique, it's pretty easy.

Jon

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

#5632706 - 01/20/13 07:42 AM

Thanks Jon,
I appreciate the advice.

Ken

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2051

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics