Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
tomnjulie

Reged: 12/04/12

Loc: Texas
Refractor input
      #5629325 - 01/18/13 03:58 AM

I currently have an Edge HD 8, Astro-Tech 8IN and a Vixen 110. I want a refractor that gets me a little closer. Is there something in the $1500ish price range that fits that bill?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Refractor input new [Re: tomnjulie]
      #5629339 - 01/18/13 04:37 AM

Define "closer". A refractor that outperforms the Edge HD 8, if it is a good one and well thermally stabilized, is going to cost you a *lot* more than $1500.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

tomnjulie

Re: Refractor input new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5636118 - 01/22/13 01:49 AM

Thats what I thought. After more thought I think portability is becoming an issue. Like the refractors because they so often come with a much more compact case than the Edge. Thinking about the Levy newt. I just need something better than my Vixen but also fits in my planes baggage better than the Edge. My cg5 fits in the unpressurized aft baggage so the mount is no problem. I need something more compact than the Edge because its case takes up a lot of space. I'm open to suggestions now that we've narrowed down what I need which is viewing close to the Edge but more compact.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5636134 - 01/22/13 02:05 AM

For visual get TEC 140ED F/7

Note: For imaging get TAK FSQ-106EDXIII (Read this...)

tomnjulie

Re: Refractor input new [Re: mmalik]
      #5636167 - 01/22/13 03:02 AM

I wish. Aren't those 5k telescopes? I'm residing more in the 1 to 2k range. What I need is a scope that is more manageable than the fork mount edge 8 for my fiancee and partner in crime. If I was going to go ahead and drop 5k we would go ahead and dive into the astrophotography pool.

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #5636368 - 01/22/13 08:15 AM

Actually, if you dive into the astrophotography pool, it could be more expensive than that.

Mark Costello
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #5636465 - 01/22/13 09:22 AM

Hi tomnjulie. As was earlier stated, you probably won't find a highly portable refractor for $1,500 that will get you a little closer compared to a C8 and help with the jump to astrophotography. If you retain the specs on portability and $1,500 or more broadly $1,000 - S2,000, you'll find that a lot of 80mm and some 90mm class ED/apo refractors in that category. But the C8 optical tube assembly is almost as portable as the picture in the following review shows....

C8_review_on_Astromart

All success in picking out a winner....

Edited by Mark Costello (01/22/13 09:31 AM)

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5636519 - 01/22/13 09:57 AM

Quote:

If I was going to go ahead and drop 5k we would go ahead and dive into the astrophotography pool.

Sorry to take you on a tangent with AP but why not? It will definitely be more compact [but may not be "closer" visually]. TAK FSQ-106EDXIII... being pricey, here is an alternative:

AT65EDQ... $599.00
60Da... $1,499.00 [My setup...]
Note: BIG hidden expense being a solid EQ mount for imaging.

CCD will be pricey; CCD talk here....

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #5636564 - 01/22/13 10:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If I was going to go ahead and drop 5k we would go ahead and dive into the astrophotography pool.

Sorry to take you on a tangent with AP but why not? It will definitely be more compact [but may not be "closer" visually]. TAK FSQ-106EDXIII... being pricey, here is an alternative:

AT65EDQ... $599.00
60Da... $1,499.00 [My setup...]
Note: BIG hidden expense being a solid EQ mount for imaging.

CCD will be pricey; CCD talk here....

Yes, the mount and camera are going to be more expensive than the initial OTA. Hence my previous comment about the "depth of the AP pool".

Rossmon
sage

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: Marin County, CA
      #5636724 - 01/22/13 11:48 AM

the Tec 140 will need a sizeable case. I was just admiring one a few days ago. It is not small. True, its not as wide, but the case isn't narrow and it is a lot longer.
One possibility is to get a small refractor, an 80. And a Mallincam video cam, small field lcd panel like a 6" Hier and a modest sized battery pack(if allowed on planes). This should only cost about $2K, even less. then u r in biz!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Refractor input new [Re: Rossmon]
      #5637104 - 01/22/13 03:02 PM

Well, you could consider the Vixen VMC2000L, you scope's bigger brother. It's about 10" in diameter and 20" long and weighs 13lb, so it should fit into a carryon size bag (probably just).

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
      #5637553 - 01/22/13 06:59 PM

Still not quite sure what you're asking, but if it's a refractor that is more portable than your current scope, and won't give up too much, as far as the views, how about this?

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Refractor input new [Re: watcher]
      #5637648 - 01/22/13 08:10 PM

Lets see, you are also considering a Mak-Newt so what about a Celestron C6? Very compact, more light gathering power than a 100mm refractor, works well on most small mounts and costs $400.

FoxTrot
sage

Reged: 06/01/06

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Refractor input new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5638198 - 01/23/13 02:30 AM

I think Joe/watcher has made the best suggestion here. Arguably a 110mm refractor like the Stellarvue, or the Astrotech, is about as close to the specs given i.e. refractor, better than the Vixen 110, and in that price range. Also, I seem to recall some company making apo refractors with highly colourful metallic finished (carbon fibre?) tubes, that might also be in the size and price range ... Cheers, Fox

Pages: 1

Extra information
44 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1416

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics