Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
jrw11
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/09/07

Loc: unknown
Nexstar 5SE? new
      #5571959 - 12/15/12 02:57 AM

Have a 6" reflector and a Orion ST80. Both F/5. Am looking for a scope more for planetary viewing with a little astrophotograhy. Know that the 6SE might be better for planets . both for viewing and fotos. But, heard that the 6SE doesn't have an equatorial wedge and clestron's is discontinued. Also heard that the 5SE does have a wedge built in? That would be for an occasional piggyback photos. Want a decent scope not too high that has a longer focal length than my f/5s. wonder if I should just upgrade my old CG5 mount. But, doing that, will still just short focal length scopes. Thanks! :confused

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lobot

Reged: 10/09/12

Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: jrw11]
      #5572023 - 12/15/12 05:12 AM

Hi, I was realy torn between the 5SE & 6SE for several months. However, I ended up with a 5SE as my local dealer didn't have the 6SE in stock (I took this as a sign!)

I've owned it for a month & have been really impressed, although it's my first telescope so I can't compare it to anything else.

Following some very helpful advice from this forum I've managed to get it working very well & I'm really pleased with my first attempts. I've attached a link to my flickr account which my be helpful, images of the Orion Nebula, Jupiter & the moon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69979581@N03/with/8273507007/#photo_8273507007

None of these have been processed, they're all single exposures taken using a Canon EOD 550d. Jupiter is heavily cropped, everthing else is unmodified. I haven't tried using the wedge yet, but it seems to track accurately for 15 seconds without it, if correctly set up.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers, Robin

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: Lobot]
      #5572056 - 12/15/12 06:28 AM

Hi Jrw11,

If it's of any use to you, look above to the uppermost topic on this page entitled, "Show off your Nexstar" and you'll see that to date, the last posting on it is mine in which I have made some comments regarding the use of wedges based on my own experience of owning and using one, once upon a time, on my Nexstar 8i.

Perhaps they might just help ?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: Tel]
      #5572209 - 12/15/12 09:21 AM

Hi Jrw11:

The wedge on the 5SE is not all that useful for AP. For altitude adjustment, there is just a bar that slides up and down and a thumbscrew to clamp it in place. No fine adjustment. Azimuth is even worse ... you must pick up the tripod, rotate it, and set it back down again. So polar alignment is crude at best. Although, as you say, it might be ok for DSLR piggy-back shots.

But it sounds like, rather than decide between the 5se and 6se, you're really trying to decide where to go with astrophotography? You mentioned possibly upgrading your CG-5. So I guess the bigger question is, what are you trying to achieve? Then you need to decide on the best gear to get you to that goal.

First off, what do you see as deficiencies in your current setup with the CG-5? If it's stopping you from getting longer exposures with your current scopes, then you may indeed want to upgrade to a better mount.

-Dan

jrw11
professor emeritus

Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5572596 - 12/15/12 01:15 PM

My CG5 has had the motor drive added. They have the Declination electrical contact expoxed. consequently it got damaged trying to put it in the car one night. So, now my dual axis drive motors is a single axis .If, I go that route. would get the CG5 Advanced series. But, I would still have 2 F/5s for planetary views and trying to bump up the magnification with barlows and such isn't a fun way to go. Would like to get some bigger views of the smaller planets. fotos piggyback will be using film cameras.Nothing extermely long. Just a few minutes.

jrw11
professor emeritus

#5572605 - 12/15/12 01:21 PM

Will add. My 6" with the CG5 is I think 54 pounds. and, dragging it into the car gets to be a hassle. So, thought of looking for something lighter.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
      #5573310 - 12/15/12 10:07 PM Attachment (60 downloads)

If you want to image more than planets you need to budget $5,000 (or do it the hard way and try to do it for less and end up paying way more).

For planets the 5SE is fair. The attached photo of Jupiter was taken with my 5SE and the NexImage 5. You can do better, this was only my second attempt.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5573365 - 12/15/12 10:48 PM

Hi jrw11:

For high mags on the planets (visual use) keep in mind that most nights the sky will limit your magnification more than the scope will. Most nights you should be able to reach 150x or so. Only about half the nights will let you get up to 200-250x. And only on rare nights of perfect seeing will you be able to use your scope's maximum magnification.

So lets say you're shooting for that 250x magnification for planets. In the 5SE, that's a 5mm EP. With a 6SE, it's a 6mm. With your f/5 6" reflector it's a 5mm with a 2x barlow.

So the difference between what you have an what you want is simply the addition of a 2x barlow. A decent barlow is inexpensive and will not affect the views to speak of at all.

For piggybacking a camera, you mentioned several minutes exposure. That's a LONG time for one of these mounts and I think you'd be disappointed in the results. Despite the inclusion of things like a wedge (5SE) and guiding port, these mounts are not really designed for photography. Unlike your CG5, they use spur gears instead of worm gears, so there's a lot of backlash. Couple that with the ability to only get crude polar alignment and your images will probably be limited to 30 seconds or so. That's the same limit that a non-wedge alt/az mount has, so a wedge doesn't really buy you much.

Your final comment about the weight of the CG-5 brings you to a point where these mounts really shine. The SE mount is indeed lightweight and quick and easy to set up. Especially compared to a CG-5 or other GEM mount.

So ... for my 2 cents, you're not going to get any better views with a 5SE or 6SE than you get with your current scope. For AP use, I think you'll likely be disappointed. But if you're looking for a great, portable mount for visual use, these can't be beat. Note that the 4SE and 5SE come on the same mount, while the 6SE and 8SE come on a larger mount that's a bit more solid.

-Dan

jrw11
professor emeritus

Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5574240 - 12/16/12 02:18 PM

Thanks for all who responded. I made one mistake, though. It's the declination electrical contact that is damaged. Not the R.A.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5575505 - 12/17/12 10:45 AM

Thay Dec modular plug setup really sucks. The last CG5 I had through here had this common defect. I went around to the dollar stores looking for a 6p6p wall plate with the idea of using the jack for a repair, but came up empty. In the end I found the cable to the motor was long enough to epoxy the jack and its circuit board to the end of the motor cover.

jturie

Reged: 11/19/12

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5575533 - 12/17/12 11:13 AM

Quote:

If you want to image more than planets you need to budget $5,000 (or do it the hard way and try to do it for less and end up paying way more).

For planets the 5SE is fair. The attached photo of Jupiter was taken with my 5SE and the NexImage 5. You can do better, this was only my second attempt.

Um...that's a pretty darn good image, be it your second try or second hundred try. Don't sell yourself short.

Jammer53

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: Central NY
Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: jturie]
      #5628676 - 01/17/13 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Um...that's a pretty darn good image, be it your second try or second hundred try. Don't sell yourself short.

+1

Out of curiosity, where are you located? That's a pretty good view of the Milky Way.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Nexstar 5SE? [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5629349 - 01/18/13 04:46 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

Hi Steve,

Who says size, (within reason), matters ?

Many congratulations on a very fine image which even includes one of the Galilean satellites !

(Couldn't resist a further look into it on another grey and snowy morning here in the UK. There's a lot of festoon detail in there) !

Beautiful !

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (01/18/13 07:48 AM)

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
Re: Nexstar 5SE? new [Re: Tel]
      #5629693 - 01/18/13 11:00 AM

Thank you for showing me the true potential of my equipment. I have just started and am learning how to process these images. Having you show me what is possible lets me know I'm not done yet, and that is a good thing. It means I can get much better pictures with a little more effort.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1403

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics