Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: Becvar's 14 star names new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5655436 - 02/01/13 01:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Which is why the modern Bayer letter/Flamsteed number system makes more sense for the amateur astronomer because they transcend culture and misspellings.

Absolutely! The names are just fun.

I think a multi-cultural study of the night sky--the legends, lore, and name variations of individual stars and groups of stars--can be just as exciting as the observation of the night sky. That is why I am so thankful to both Doug and Jim for their interests and pursuit in this thread. Maybe some time we can all engage in a thread attempting to identify a bibliography of the cultural history of the sky: legends, lore, and names of stars, groups of stars, planets, and the Moon.

Tony Flanders has been including astronomy history in many of his most excellent SkyWeek broadcasts. I suggest you add watching these broadcasts to your weekly schedule. Thank you Tony and the S&T staff.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug Reilly
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/08

Re: Becvar's 14 star names new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5655986 - 02/01/13 10:06 AM

I agree. I also find star lore to be a powerful component of astronomy outreach programs. I want to connect people with the past, and I think the idea that stars somehow evoke stories resonates with people still. And of course they are stories, whether we are talking about lore or science. I especially enjoy non-Western star lore. Native American tales and Japanese...I think connecting people with the past in this way also helps give them the temporal sensitivity they need to better understand the time-scales that we are dealing with across the vast differences, when we get to the nitty-gritty science.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Becvar's 14 star names new [Re: Doug Reilly]
      #5656817 - 02/01/13 05:29 PM

The night sky is the finest museum we have. Professional astronomy is a narrowly targeted pursuit focused on gathering data to prove and disprove scientific theories. Amateur astronomy is a different kettle of fish. We aren't constrained like our professional counterparts. There's no reason to believe that the current separation and PA of Sirius B is any more relevant to an amateur than what the ancient Elamites postulated about Venus.

We have the luxury of observing for pleasure. What pleases me and what pleases someone else may be two different things, and that's fine. For my part, though, if my observing was limited to simply looking at objects without multi-cultural and historical context, I'd be bored stiff in two second.

To me it seems a natural progression - I see "it", I wonder about "it", I then wonder what others have wondered about "it". Finally, I wonder what others who come after me will wonder about "it". It makes a brain big and a life rich IMO.

- Jim

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: Becvar's 14 star names new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5657070 - 02/01/13 08:15 PM

Doug and Jim...

You both speak with such eloquence and sincerity about amateur astronomy. Thank you for sharing your personal opinions.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

#5658822 - 02/02/13 08:02 PM

Reflecting upon this thread, I reach for a book on the shelf, a title which I have yet to read.

Echoes of the Ancient Skies: The Last Astronomy of Lost Civilizations by Dr. E. C. Krupp (1983, Harper & Row).

Flipping through the pages, looking at the many photographs and illustrations, I arrive at the end of the text to find these words.

"The way we design universes today, with the observational approach of modern science, may differ from the sacred metaphors of our ancestors, but we all do it for the same reason: to comprehend the universe in a way that lets us feel at home in it" (p. 349).

Beyond this quote comes Dr. Krup's 30-page bibliography, divided among the following sections.

General Archaeoastronomy
    General Astronomy
    History of Astronomy
    Star Lore and Ancient Calendars
    Mythology and Ancient Religion
    Shamanism and Prehistoric Religion
    Human Evolution
    The Ice Age Artists
    Megaliths
    The Celts and the Druids
    California Indians
    Other North American Indians
    Mesoamerica
    Peru
    South American Indians
    Egypt
    Mesopotamia
    China and Japan

I post a note in my calendar: "Read Echoes in 2013."

Doug Reilly
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/08

#5659511 - 02/03/13 08:35 AM

Bob,
I think I have to read that too. Sounds pretty wide-reaching...thanks for posting that.
cheers
doug

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2213

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics