Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
oracleman

Reged: 07/03/10

Loc: Bizkaia - Spain
8se - best filter for jupiter new
      #5625773 - 01/16/13 08:44 AM

Hello all,
I was quite happy with the views of jupither through my baader moon & skyglow filter, but on other threads had read that there is a filter called 'mars filter' that works really really great. The problem is that this filter seems to work bad on sct telescopes.
On the other side, on reflectors there is something like apodizing screen, that may help to improble Jupiter details.

I know this could be very subjetive, and that good seeing is the 'best filter' but here go my question: on your experience, what is the best filter for visual jupiter for a 8se? How does compare it to a moon & sky glow filter?

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: oracleman]
      #5625808 - 01/16/13 09:04 AM

Hey If you did not (needlessly BTW) apologize for your English I honestly would have never known English was not your native language...!!!

Unfortunately I can;t give you an answer I use very few filters...But those cheap normally useless colored filter sets will "bring out" the bands on Jupiter ... Yellow and red seemed to work a little better BUT then the entire planet looks red or yellow ...Bottom line Is I see what I see and am happy without using any filter to view Jupiter

Bob G.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5625876 - 01/16/13 09:43 AM

Hi Oracleman:

At the top of the equipment forum, there are sticky posts which contain information on filters, including which work well on what targets. I'd check there.

-Dan

burb scope
sage

Reged: 04/18/08

Loc: Canton, MI
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5626319 - 01/16/13 02:44 PM

I have worked off of the assumption that you use a filter to accentuate certain features... For example, a red filter on Mars passes red light, but blocks the green and blue, hence making the dark features darker.
Likewise, using a blue filter on Jupiter darkens the red bands and Great Red Spot, making them stand out more.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: burb scope]
      #5626864 - 01/16/13 07:42 PM

Personally i think the baader filter you are using is the best!!!

Edited by coutleef (01/16/13 07:43 PM)

mitaccio
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/09

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: coutleef]
      #5626884 - 01/16/13 07:55 PM

I have found lately that a cloud filter works best. Problem is mine broke

oracleman

Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: mitaccio]
      #5627631 - 01/17/13 08:47 AM

Thanks Bob!!! ;-) I put that advice on signature because sometimes I'm unsure about the sense of my phrases on english, and I prefer to warn in case I generate confusion. Hence, it's good hear that what I wrote is understandable xDDD

Dan, thanks a lot! Wow!, a lot of info about filters there, I'll check it!

Coutleef thanks!, I feel baader filter increases contrast, some festoons on this jupiter oposition where easy with this filter and very difficult without it.

Burb, I have a celestron 4-filter set and I noted that gray filter works fine to get bands even with bad seeing (unsure about this but...). I'll try more with this filter set, trying to get diferent details with each filter!

Mitaccio, you mean something like this?

http://bodzashphotoastro.blogspot.com.es/2011/04/lumicon-announces-cloud-filt...

Thanks a lot guys!!!

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: oracleman]
      #5627902 - 01/17/13 11:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks Bob!!! ;-) I put that advice on signature because sometimes I'm unsure about the sense of my phrases on english, and I prefer to warn in case I generate confusion. Hence, it's good hear that what I wrote is understandable xDDD
Thanks a lot guys!!!

no problem with your english

i trained these folks for years with my posts that are sometimes written in borderline english. your posts are fine. we all look at the same stars anyways.

cheers

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: coutleef]
      #5627941 - 01/17/13 11:54 AM

I used to be a university professor, believe me when I tell you gentlemen that your written english surpasses many college freshman who are native speakers.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5628483 - 01/17/13 05:10 PM

i stayed with my cousin one year for the summer break when i was 14 back in 1956. i went to get hair cut at the local barber shop and was talking to the barber when all of a sudden just out of the clear blue sky he said " you are not from california are you" and i said " no sir, im from oklahoma, how did you know that" and he answered " just the way you speak and the type of lango you use. so, i guess we speak different just from state to state. amazing!!!!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5630729 - 01/18/13 10:36 PM

Quote:

Hey If you did not (needlessly BTW) apologize for your English I honestly would have never known English was not your native language...!!!

Unfortunately I can;t give you an answer I use very few filters...But those cheap normally useless colored filter sets will "bring out" the bands on Jupiter ... Yellow and red seemed to work a little better BUT then the entire planet looks red or yellow ...Bottom line Is I see what I see and am happy without using any filter to view Jupiter

Bob G.

Actually a red filter in Jupiter would work horrible and would be a out as bad a choice s could be save for the festoons.

Typically a wratten 80a us a nice light pale blue that works terrifically with Jupiter in deepening the contrast in redder tones. W58 green is also excellent though darker, it does a nice job in sharpening the view on nights when seeing is poor.

Color filters typically show you nothing you couldn't see without them but it can make it less eye straining. I use them all the time.

W21 orange is great on festoons though again kills the contrast if the belts.

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter [Re: donnie3]
      #5630735 - 01/18/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

i stayed with my cousin one year for the summer break when i was 14 back in 1956. i went to get hair cut at the local barber shop and was talking to the barber when all of a sudden just out of the clear blue sky he said " you are not from california are you" and i said " no sir, im from oklahoma, how did you know that" and he answered " just the way you speak and the type of lango you use. so, i guess we speak different just from state to state. amazing!!!!

An Oklahoma accent in Cali? Yes everything's different, even the speed and such - it's not like Californians at all.

Pete

oracleman

Re: 8se - best filter for jupiter new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5640983 - 01/24/13 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob G.

Actually a red filter in Jupiter would work horrible and would be a out as bad a choice s could be save for the festoons.

Typically a wratten 80a us a nice light pale blue that works terrifically with Jupiter in deepening the contrast in redder tones. W58 green is also excellent though darker, it does a nice job in sharpening the view on nights when seeing is poor.

Color filters typically show you nothing you couldn't see without them but it can make it less eye straining. I use them all the time.

W21 orange is great on festoons though again kills the contrast if the belts.

Pete

I'm back here late but I've been so busy these days... thanks all for your comments... finally I removed the warning from the signature!!

Pete, you are here too!!!! Thanks a lot for the response!!! I have a 4 filter set from celestron that includes w21 and 80A so I'll try with them the next week (I hope!!).

Thanks in advance!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1125

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics