Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: turtle86]
      #5638074 - 01/23/13 12:03 AM

Here's another review of the Delos 6 vs Ethos:

New Televue 6mm Delos **First Impression**

Best,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/30/03

Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: ibase]
      #5638365 - 01/23/13 07:58 AM

I would value that review as worth about what it costs you to read it.

The comment about the 6mm Delos simply outperforming the 7mm Pentax XW lost me. I own both eyepieces and will continue to own both as I have a need for both focal lengths. They are both excellent. See my earlier comment in a previous post re these 2 eyepieces.

Cheers

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: GeneT]
      #5638525 - 01/23/13 09:50 AM

There's a 5 XO in CNC for best offer. I'll pass. It would be excellent in my WO ZS-110 and Lunt 60. My cats not so much. David

Edited by dscarpa (01/23/13 09:50 AM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5638547 - 01/23/13 10:03 AM

I've thought about getting a second XO 5 for binoviewing. But with an OCA, that would be the equivalent of a pair of 2.6mm eyepieces, or about 462x for my 10" f/4.8. That would be pushing it in a binoviewer, and then only for Mars and Saturn during excellent seeing. I wish Pentax had made the XO's in longer focal lengths, maybe an 8mm or 10mm.

Mike

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5638644 - 01/23/13 10:50 AM

Quote:

For planets and double stars, finer detail and less scatter are much more comfortable to my eyes than longer eye relief and a wider field. For deep sky objects, I want wider field and higher light transmission. I know that many planet, double star, and deep sky enthusiasts have come to the same conclusions.

My feet merely have to get me from point A to point B and back in relative comfort. My eyes have to perform much more delicate work along the way. YMMV. To each their own.

Mike

I get the "right tool for the right job" argument. Indeed, that led me to trying out the 5 XO for myself. But in practice, I found that the eye strain and fatigue I got from observing with the 5 XO actually hindered me from the "delicate work" of viewing fine planetary detail. For me, a big part of capturing fine planetary detail is to be patient and spend plenty of time at the eyepiece to wait for those special moments of extra clarity when the air is really still. Here in Florida, the seeing is generally very good, but even on the best nights there are variations in seeing--when observing at high power, there will be moments when a planetary view will get extra sharp before softening a bit again. (My experience observing the central star in M57 is much the same--when the air is still, it blinks into view; when the seeing degrades ever so slightly it disappears again.) I don't know when those wonderful moments of extra clarity and exquisite detail are going to come, but if my eyes are already worn out from using an uncomfortable eyepiece, I'm not likely going to catch them. I don't regret trying out the 5 XO, but I sure don't miss it now.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5638789 - 01/23/13 12:01 PM

IME, it seems that much of an observer's preference for or against short eye relief eyepieces might have to do with the physical configuration of their eyes, eye sockets and nasal bridge, or even the length of their eye lashes, things we don't have any control over. Well, we can trim our eyelashes!

Some eyepieces that others have described as pure *heck* to view through are no big deal to me. For instance, I spent at least an hour with short focal length BGO's and XO's when I first saw the Pup star. My eyes felt fine. Brandon 6 and 8mm? Not so bad; in fact, pretty comfy.

But I would still like to pick up a used XW 5 at a good price to complement the XO 5!

Mike

PJ Anway
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
      #5639112 - 01/23/13 03:34 PM

I find the 5mm XO excellent for planetary observing. In general, eye-relief has never been a problem for me when it comes to viewing planets. These objects are small enough to be viewed without seeing the field stop of the eyepiece. In other words, if the eye-relief is too tight, just back off a bit. One should still be able to still view the planet.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5639340 - 01/23/13 06:10 PM

Quote:

But in practice, I found that the eye strain and fatigue I got from observing with the 5 XO actually hindered me from the "delicate work" of viewing fine planetary detail. For me, a big part of capturing fine planetary detail is to be patient and spend plenty of time at the eyepiece to wait for those special moments of extra clarity when the air is really still.

I bought the 5XO as a niche eyepiece--to squeeze out a little more planetary detail, or splitting some difficult doubles. I will use the 6 Delos or 4 Radian for extended viewing, but will use the 5XO for those special situations. Some may believe this is a frivolous expenditure or use for an eyepiece. I don't. I am very pleased to own one of the one or two best eyepieces in this range ever made. On nights of excellent seeing, I will know that I squeezed out as much detail as is possible.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: GeneT]
      #5639538 - 01/23/13 08:35 PM

Quote:

I bought the 5XO as a niche eyepiece--to squeeze out a little more planetary detail, or splitting some difficult doubles. I will use the 6 Delos or 4 Radian for extended viewing, but will use the 5XO for those special situations. Some may believe this is a frivolous expenditure or use for an eyepiece. I don't. I am very pleased to own one of the one or two best eyepieces in this range ever made. On nights of excellent seeing, I will know that I squeezed out as much detail as is possible.

I don't think it's frivolous at all. I bought the 5 XO for the very same reasons as well, and sure wish it would've worked out for me. From reading this thread, it sounds like some have no problems observing with the XO but others, including myself, find it a bit uncomfortable. In fact, the fellow who sold me his XO had acknowledged that the eye relief was a bit tight. I figured I had nothing to lose in trying it out for myself since it would easy to resell due to its great reputation. Despite my own experience, I would still urge anyone curious about the XO to give observing with it a shot.

I think Mike might be on to something in suggesting that one's preference for or against short eye relief eyepieces might have to do with the physical configuration of their eyes, eye sockets and nasal bridge, etc. Another factor might be something about the design of the XO itself; I'm usually OK with short ER Orthos.

I'd still be willing to try out a 6mm ZAO II (I suspect it might it easier on my eyes), but these days those seem to be harder to find than hens's teeth!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4241

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics