Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
dogeddie
sage

Reged: 03/26/10

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
LX 90 LNT defaults to terrestrial targets? new
      #5630908 - 01/19/13 12:42 AM

I am just getting started with the LX 90 LNT I picked up used. I am familiar with Autostar as my old scope was an ETX. When I check the Telescope>Targets area on the Autostar as one means to try to determine the very poor initial star alignment, it appears to be always be set in Terrestrial mode rather than Astronomical mode. I will keep an eye on it, but shouldn't it stay on Astronomical unless I change it? I also had an issue with the time setting - it almost seemed to revert to the previous users time zone, even though I did a reset. Do I have gremlins in my Autostar?

I did a calibrate motors, train drives, and calibrate sensors, but the alignment stars were so far off I was unable to tell which one to use until I hit the ? button and it told me the names. Once I managed to align the two stars it was accurate, but I can't figure out why the initial alignment is so bad.

Edited by dogeddie (01/19/13 12:47 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: LX 90 LNT defaults to terrestrial targets? [Re: dogeddie]
      #5630944 - 01/19/13 01:20 AM

In AltAz, the scope always defaults to terrestrial when booting.
It will automatically set to astronomical at the correct time as you do the align process.

One of the bugs in the 497EP is that it doesnt save the LNT calibration data ( or drive train data ) if it falls outside a certain range.
Thus, your cal data may actually be lost, thus accounting for the bad initial pointing.
You can use my app to interrogate the Hbx to see what the current cal sensor offsets are. That will tell if they are good or not.
If not, and you want to keep the 497EP Hbx,
you will have to patch

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 332

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics