Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
petrus45
sage

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.
Re: I need a Primer on Filters new [Re: oldtimer]
      #5626883 - 01/16/13 07:54 PM

Quote:

It would also help to know what kind and focal length scope you are using.

z10 Dob, 1250mm. Light gathering capability is good, but I gather a lot of street lighting.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
petrus45
sage

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.
Re: I need a Primer on Filters new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5630033 - 01/18/13 02:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Your Orion Ultrablock is a narrow-band nebula filter, and is a good choice for a "all-around" nebula filter. Like most narrow-band filters, it will make M42 appear more greenish in color, but at the same time, it will enhance the visibility of the fainter outlying structures of the nebula.

David: Do the other two narrow band filters you recommend(Lumicon UHC or DGM NPB) provide more "natural" looking colors, i.e. less green, in visual observation? Or would they be pretty much comparable as to color?

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: I need a Primer on Filters [Re: petrus45]
      #5631049 - 01/19/13 04:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your Orion Ultrablock is a narrow-band nebula filter, and is a good choice for a "all-around" nebula filter. Like most narrow-band filters, it will make M42 appear more greenish in color, but at the same time, it will enhance the visibility of the fainter outlying structures of the nebula.

David: Do the other two narrow band filters you recommend(Lumicon UHC or DGM NPB) provide more "natural" looking colors, i.e. less green, in visual observation? Or would they be pretty much comparable as to color?

Most narrow-band filters do tend to make M42 look a bluish-green color. The Lumicon UHC's M42 coloration will be similar to that of the Orion Ultrablock with maybe just a bit less greenish "saturation". The DGM Optics NPB will make M42 more of a pale bluish color with a bluish-green core in the area around the Trapezium. In larger apertures, the NPB's red secondary passband may also allow some people with sufficient red sensitivity in their vision to see some faint reds in M42 as well. The color balance of the NPB is slightly more neutral than that of the Lumicon UHC, but again, in most cases, color is not the point of having these filters. The key is what they reveal, and in many cases, the nebulae are too faint to show any color in the first place. These narrow-band nebula filters all help boost the contrast of emission nebulae well beyond what is seen without a filter. Clear skies to you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1174

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics