Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: How to use moon map? [Re: Billytk]
      #5631086 - 01/19/13 06:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I see so even though the same face always faces us, it's not always rotated the same way? That might explain it....I thought the bottom would always be S and the top always N.

This is a GREAT video of the Moon as we see it over the course of a year. It wabbles alot.
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2011/06/time-lapse-tuesday-a-year-in-t...

OK, we're confusing two different things.

The wobble shown on that video is rotation with respect to celestial north. Moon-north isn't quite the same as celestial north due to the fact that the planes of Earth's orbit, the Moon's orbit, and Earth's spin aren't quite the same. This effect is particular to the Moon, but the rotation involved is quite minor.

I'm talking about a completely different kind of rotation -- of celestial north with respect to up and down. This affects everything in the sky, often dramatically. In an extreme case like the Big Dipper, which makes a full rotation around Polaris without ever setting, celestial north makes a full, 360-degree rotation -- equal to up at one time of night and/or year and directly down at another time of night and/or year.

This is why you need to get used to tilting any kind of celestial chart to match the object, whether it's a chart of the Moon's features, Mars's features, or the constellations.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 999

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics