Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5625628 - 01/16/13 04:06 AM

I just e-mailed him too. Normally, postal communications between the U.S.A. and Switzerland are very reliable and fast. But after 51 days waiting time without getting the Atlas (order date November 26, 2012), I guess it is time to have the shipping files checked by Chuck.

Stephan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5625810 - 01/16/13 09:05 AM

Quote:

I just e-mailed him too. Normally, postal communications between the U.S.A. and Switzerland are very reliable and fast. But after 51 days waiting time without getting the Atlas (order date November 26, 2012), I guess it is time to have the shipping files checked by Chuck.

Stephan

Chuck Wood just informed me by e-mail, that my ordered Atlas was delivered to the post office yesterday. Now I understand why there was 50 days long no Moon Atlas in the mail box. Oh man, how I like the first-come-last-served-rule...

Stephan

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: edl]
      #5630089 - 01/18/13 03:12 PM

Just received mine today in perfect condition. Chuck is still signing the atlas. For those of you still waiting, it took 6 days to get here to the Indianapolis area after he mailed it.

It's a very nice piece of work and designed to be used. Can't wait to get a chance to sit down and give it a good once over.

Dave Chapman
sage

Reged: 01/27/07

Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
      #5630124 - 01/18/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Stephan

Me too, ordered same day as you, so I followed up with Chuck. He said it had just been mailed! Can't wait!

Dave

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Dave Chapman]
      #5630159 - 01/18/13 03:58 PM

I got mine today as well. For those who are anxiously awaiting details, here's my first impressions:

The quality of materials is outstanding. The covers are heavy card stock, and the pages are also very heavy and stiff. Glossy, high-quality paper is used throughout. The spiral binding and heavy materials mark it as being intended for the observer.

This is a true lunar atlas. The source is a mosaic of the entire Moon made from LRO pictures at the same lighting conditions, and sliced into sections with software. The charts and pictures are all startlingly clear and sharp. In fact, they're almost perfect.

The book starts with about 10 pages of general discussion of lunar features by Chuck Wood in his usual easy style; then comes the main 28-chart atlas. This is set up with a chart on the right side, and pictures of various interesting features on the left.

After these pages, there are about 30 pages of specialized charts, including a section of pictures of the great basins, created with LOLA data rather than photography, and showing them very well. The limbs, libration areas, poles, full Moon features, and the farside are all well treated.

Just from my first look, I declare this a must-have. There's nothing about it that I don't like. I have the Cambridge atlas as well, and it has a lot of very good stuff in it. I'm glad to have both; but if the two were side by side and I could only choose one, it would be the 21st Century atlas, hands down.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5630516 - 01/18/13 08:04 PM

Still waiting here ...

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5630958 - 01/19/13 01:33 AM

Mike,
Contact Chuck; something has to be wrong. I ordered mine on 1/4. I'm pretty sure he's getting emails from a lot of anxious buyers. He seems like a nice guy, and I'm sure he'll look into it.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5630972 - 01/19/13 01:55 AM

Here's another something to notice about this atlas:

Look at the inside of the back cover, where the "About the Authors" blurb is.
Co-author Maurice Collins, who is the pefect image of the Mad Scientist, is really an amazing guy. He pores through all those lunar databases that are created by probes like LRO, Kaguya, and others; experiments with available software to manipulate the images, and discovers new stuff!

Now, that's what it's all about, in my book. NASA, ESA, JAXA, they do all this work to send up probes and amass this incredible body of information, and make it all easily available to the public. But, that's not much good unless people actually do something with it. Ol' Maurice is doing just that, and a few guys like him make it all worthwhile. While the rest of us are happy with a pretty new atlas to set by the telescope, he's out there on the edge, making discoveries. I wish I had that kind of drive.

Way to go, Maurice!

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

#5631045 - 01/19/13 04:48 AM

Yippie-ai-ay, it is here! Finally!

Date of order/payment: November 26, 2012
Date of shipment (postmark Bridgeport, OH): January 14, 2013
Date of receipt in Switzerland: January 19, 2013

The long but nevertheless fast international postal transport with its additional handling operations at several postal facilities resulted in very slight corner bumping, but nothing serious, I can live with it.

The Atlas meets my expectations, in its price class, it leaves nothing to be desired. It came autographed by Charles A. Wood (I like autographed first editions). I am very happy with the very decent printing quality. I can only confirm word for word the praise of Rick Woods as stated previously.

Thank you, Chuck and Maurice, for bringing this nice Atlas to us!

Stephan

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5631270 - 01/19/13 10:24 AM

Execution of this Atlas is professional. The distribution ... eh, not so much.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5631282 - 01/19/13 10:33 AM

Well, I gave Chuck the benefit of the doubt and allowed him the full 4-6 weeks that was the standard for shipping 40 years ago. I finally sent him an email this morning.

Mike

Dave Chapman
sage

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: la200o]
      #5638895 - 01/23/13 01:01 PM

I received my copy today. 8 days since it was mailed (not bad for cross-border shopping). It got a little warped by the postal delivery, but nothing a little time under a heavy book won't rectify. Now to sit down and enjoy!

Dave

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5638939 - 01/23/13 01:25 PM

Still waiting ... I won't get into the details of why my copy was delayed, except to say it was never shipped! But Chuck said in an email that he would ship it out this past Tuesday. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Mike

Dave Chapman
sage

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: edl]
      #5640219 - 01/24/13 09:03 AM

I have had a good look at this new atlas and I like everything about it. It is a great beginner-intermediate atlas, especially as it is available and very reasonable priced! Soft-cover and spiral-bound, you could use it at the eyepiece, but I am keeping mine safely indoors. The exposure for each area was carefully chosen to show the same degree of "relief". The classic (and out-of-print) Rukl atlas may still remain as the primary atlas for advanced observers, especially as it labels many of the secondary craters. I am very happy with the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon and I say it is a "must-have." Specialty publications such as this often have short print lives, so get yours now!

Dave

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5641580 - 01/24/13 09:49 PM

I received my signed copy of the Atlas today. Thanks, Mr. Wood!

I like it. Even though it might have a short run once all the Lunatics get their copies, and the value might climb like a Rukl, I'm still putting mine in the equipment bag for in-the-field Moon viewing. The Atlas is spiral bond, and though the pages aren't laminated, they look like they should stand up pretty well to dew and usage in the real world.

The individual maps are numbered and also labeled by a significant feature on the map, for example, "Iridum 20," or "Crisium 2." This is a nice touch, very Rukl-like, and should make quick reference easier.

Mike

tecmage
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5641751 - 01/24/13 11:51 PM

I have to admit I ordered a second one. One is going outside every time I do Lunar observing! My plan is to use it with the New Atlas of the Moon by LeGault and Brunier- that atlas covers the Moon day by day, and combined with the detailed images in the Wood and Collins atlas, I should be able to nail a lot of Lunar features.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: tecmage]
      #5659514 - 02/03/13 08:37 AM

is there a link to go to for ordering info???

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: droid]
      #5659549 - 02/03/13 09:08 AM

http://lpod.wikispaces.com/February+3%2C+2013

This'll get you close....look for the thumbnail of the book, and click!!!
Hope this helps!

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: RobertED]
      #5659576 - 02/03/13 09:27 AM

ohhh duh, I was on that page erlier and totally missed the buy now link, hmmmmm new glasses maybe or more coffee

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: droid]
      #5660739 - 02/03/13 09:08 PM

Quote:

ohhh duh, I was on that page erlier and totally missed the buy now link, hmmmmm new glasses maybe or more coffee

....coffee's good!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8105

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics