Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: New XX14g on order [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5631313 - 01/19/13 10:50 AM

Would love to see some pics of folks and get an idea of ep height at zenith?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: New XX14g on order new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5631642 - 01/19/13 02:06 PM

On the xx14g page on Orion's website there is a short video that shows that pretty well. Looks to me that an observer 5'10" or taller should have the eyepiece right about eye level with the scope at zenith.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: New XX14g on order new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5632674 - 01/20/13 06:48 AM

Thanks Mike - forgot about that vid, I'm 5'10" so that would put the ep height about 64"-65" ?

XwarpfactorX

Reged: 11/29/12

Loc: California
      #5632713 - 01/20/13 07:48 AM

Looking forward to some first light reports.

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
Re: New XX14g on order new [Re: jtrevino]
      #5639368 - 01/23/13 06:20 PM

Quote:

I'm 5'10" and I might still need a step ladder.

You will not need a step for e/p @ zenith w/ the 14.

lbsgville
sage

Reged: 06/15/10

Loc: Florida
      #5641670 - 01/24/13 10:38 PM

Hi All, I'm the OP and just wanted to say my ship date got move back to Feb 8th. I'm hoping to get it on the 15th so I can have some time to set it up in the house. I don't know if I'll get to first light because I work a week out of town at a time. If I get it on Friday the 15th I will try to get it to the yard at least. Of course the moon is going to be a problem my next week off the the 19-26 of Feb. I will also be working the week of the Messier Marathon. Hopefully I can get most of them in around the 14th. I will keep you all posted.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: New XX14g on order new [Re: lbsgville]
      #5642131 - 01/25/13 08:54 AM

My ship datye is 2-24 so I am hoping to get it up and running for the week of March 11 when comet PANSTARRS is close to the crescent moon.

lbsgville
sage

#5642323 - 01/25/13 10:45 AM

I would call Orion and check on that date if you have not done so in the last week. Again I will be at work for that event also.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
      #5642340 - 01/25/13 11:01 AM

If I may ask the deciders for / owners of the 14", why did you decide for the 14", not the 16" Orion, and why not a custom dob that everyone talks about at this aperture size?
Any comments on the optics and use of high end (expensive) eyepieces?
I'm pondering the same now, and also a 14" SCT so I can sit more, but am also researching the break down and weight issue, since I'm be moving it every time I use it.
Regardless, good luck with your scopes. I know it must be torture now to have to wait for them to arrive!
Clear skies!
Bob

Wcclower

Reged: 04/14/11

Loc: Terrell, Texas
Re: New XX14g on order new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5642427 - 01/25/13 11:56 AM

I have owned an XX14G for about a year now and love it. As far as the optics go, I sent my primary to Steve Swayze for evaluation and possible refigure / re-coat a couple of months ago. Took Steve a week to reply that he could do nothing to improve upon it. Cleaned it (for ONLY 10 bucks) and sent it back. Also advised me against recoating (by Spectrum I believe). What a surprise! All of my eyepieces are ES 100 and 82 degree and am very happy with them. Was outside last night under a near full moon observing Jupiter. With my ES 4.7 saw great detail in the GRS and many bands. Also lucky enough to see IO's shadow. Was a great nite!

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: New XX14g on order new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5642478 - 01/25/13 12:24 PM

The primary decision point for me on the 14 versus the 16 was eyepiece height. The 16 is just high enough to require a step stool for viewing for an average sized adult male like me above about 60 degrees. That up-down routine was just not worth the extra two inches.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#5642480 - 01/25/13 12:25 PM

Per the custom Dob, I definitely want go to and did not want to do a retrofit on a custom scope for more money. As for eyepieces, I have some good glass already and have acquired a coma corrector, so that is not an issue.

jtrevino

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: Southwest AZ Desert
      #5643601 - 01/25/13 11:51 PM

Quote:

Hi All, I'm the OP and just wanted to say my ship date got move back to Feb 8th. I'm hoping to get it on the 15th so I can have some time to set it up in the house. I don't know if I'll get to first light because I work a week out of town at a time. If I get it on Friday the 15th I will try to get it to the yard at least. Of course the moon is going to be a problem my next week off the the 19-26 of Feb. I will also be working the week of the Messier Marathon. Hopefully I can get most of them in around the 14th. I will keep you all posted.

Looks like my Ship Date got moved from 2-1-13 to 2-24-13.

Hopefully it doesn't get pushed back further. I Want my LightBucket!!!!

isawit

Reged: 01/22/13

Loc: Lake Phelps, North Carolina
      #5644176 - 01/26/13 10:59 AM

Hello all. I have been following this thread for a while now and am as anxious as the OP for this scope to arrive. I have been looking at getting the Orion XT12G but the XX14G keeps getting my attention. My concern is the size of the 14, mainly in the height of the eyepiece. I have an eye level height of 68" and I don't think this should be a problem viewing through the 14 at zenith standing flat footed. However, the way I plan on using whatever scope I decide on is to keep the thing on a three wheeled dolly and roll it out onto my deck from my three season room where I will be keeping it stored. The extra height of the dolly may put the eyepiece up to tippy toe position on the 14. Plus there is the extra girth in the 14 when keeping it stored. I guess my question here to those in the know is the extra two inches worth it, not only in what you can see but in the quality and other attributes of the larger scope?

I hear more good things than bad about the optical quality of the Orion scopes and these first light reviews are important in helping me make a decision on a telescope.

I just want the most bang for the buck in a goto scope and yet keep it handy and user friendly.

Thanks in advance to all that may reply.

lbsgville
sage

#5644220 - 01/26/13 11:25 AM

My reasons for choosing the 14 are the same as mentioned above. If I had a place to leave it set up I may have gone with the 16. As far as choosing over premium the good reviews of the mirror and tracking quality did it for me. I also like the fact that you can move the scope by hand without messing up the alignment.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#5656977 - 02/01/13 07:06 PM

I realize that this completely violates the laws of telescope delivery, but the dealer just called to tell me that my xx14g which was due to ship Feb. 24 just arrived, due to a cancellation of an order at Orion. Not only that but the forecast for Saturday night is crystal clear and I was already planning a trip to the club dark site. If that forecast holds it would appear that the astro-demons are in abeyance!

LLD
Lucky so far

Reged: 11/14/05

Loc: Ma..
      #5657109 - 02/01/13 08:50 PM

Congrats! Early delivery and clear skies--- Nice , I had to wait a week before mine saw its first light, Can't wait to hear your first light impressions.

Edited by LLD (02/01/13 08:52 PM)

isawit

Reged: 01/22/13

Loc: Lake Phelps, North Carolina
Re: New XX14g on order new [Re: LLD]
      #5657672 - 02/02/13 08:02 AM

That's great! Can't wait to hear about it.

jtrevino

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: Southwest AZ Desert
      #5658535 - 02/02/13 05:16 PM

OMG!! After looking on the Orion Website and noticing that the ship date had been moved back to 4-5-13 I called Orion to confirm my ship date. I spoke with the sale person and they looked up my Order number and to my dismay, I was told that my xx14g ship date has been moved to 4-5-13. lbsgville, you might want to call Orion to confirm your ship date. Hopefully the Sale person was just pulling the info from the website.

Edited by jtrevino (02/02/13 05:18 PM)

lbsgville
sage

Re: New XX14g on order [Re: jtrevino]
      #5663743 - 02/05/13 03:10 PM

jt I'm so sorry about your delay. I almost hate to announce that I got my email confirmation of shipment. OK not really, but I really am sorry for your delay. If it would have happened to me I would not be happy. On top of that you have to read how much everyone else loves their new 14g. All I can say is try to take some happiness out of it knowing that it will be worth the wait. I will have to pick mine up at the UPS distribution center in my area because I will be out of town on the delivery date. I will go get it Tuesday afternoon and hopefully have it ready for the back yard by Thursday night for a bare bones first light report. If the weather GODS cooperate I will try to get it to my somewhat dark site over the weekend.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3481

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics