Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Yet another "Which Eyepieces" question ... new
      #5628035 - 01/17/13 12:45 PM

I just got a pair of WO binos and have been quite happy with them. The view of the crescent moon with strong Earthshine a couple days back was amazing using the 20mm that came with the set.

In trying not to go overboard in putting together pairs, I'm trying to stick to one higher power set for planetary viewing and then doubling up my 28mm RKE for the "wow" factor. I'll be using the bino's on an SN-6 (with an upgraded focuser to support the weight) and an ES127. Both seem to work well with the include 1.6x corrector. Taking everything all that into account, my best target for doubling at a higher mag would be to get a second ES82 11mm (I have the 4.7mm, 6.7mm, 11mm, and an ES68 16mm). Any gotcha's going this route or should I use this as an opportunity to go narrower and snatch up a couple VT Ortho's before they sell out?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Yet another "Which Eyepieces" question ... [Re: oo_void]
      #5631334 - 01/19/13 11:06 AM

Well with the barlow your 20mm works like a 12mm, I would think....you could double up the 16mm as the 11mm might be too much power? Also you have to think about merging fatter EP's to get a nice round circle in the viewer.

Good luck as I really like my WO.

Bob

oo_void
professor emeritus

Re: Yet another "Which Eyepieces" question ... new [Re: REC]
      #5633115 - 01/20/13 12:34 PM

With the 20mm's that came with the bino's I get 12.5mm, which is just enough to fit the moon into the FOV (a perfect matching). A 16mm with the corrector would be 10mm, so not much difference in magnification. Also, with just a 68 FOV I'd start clipping the edges of luna so not as useful.

Without bino's, my favorite for high magnification of planets and globulars has been 6.7mm. With the corrector, an 11mm ES82 becomes a 6.85mm, but I know there's more to it than simple math (light drop, matching and merging issues with some designs, etc). That's why something simple like UO Ortho's seem tempting. I wish they had an 11mm or 12mm BCO because I think a 10mm would be pushing it.

I'd look to my club for advice, but I'm just the second person with binoviewers. The only other has a nice Denk with a PowerSwitch and uses 24mm Pano's. I'm also the only real ES user in the club, everyone's either an old-school TV user, or still on their first set of eyepieces that came with their scopes.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Yet another "Which Eyepieces" question ... new [Re: oo_void]
      #5633685 - 01/20/13 06:01 PM

The 11 ES 82s work very well in my Denk II's.

oo_void
professor emeritus

Re: Yet another "Which Eyepieces" question ... new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5638858 - 01/23/13 12:43 PM

Alright ... Going with the ES82 11mm. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

oo_void
professor emeritus

Re: Yet another "Which Eyepieces" question ... new [Re: oo_void]
      #5672980 - 02/10/13 08:15 PM

Well, I took my pair of ES82 11mm up to the club's dark site last night and have some bad news; the barrels on the eyepieces are uneven in length, and also too long to effectively use the diaopters on the WO's. They end up hitting the internal stops until I adjust the worst one up to the piont to where it gives me just one full turn left of travel. Oh well. I have a couple of helical rings that I can try as an option to even them out though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1219

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics