Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Re: Mercurys next good obsevation date new [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #5650130 - 01/29/13 11:45 AM

Quote:

well,im very skeptical about global warming,however the sahara dessert has been growing at about 1/4 of an inch per year since like the 80ties or nineties but id have to check on that cause its been years since i read that in scientific american.

My friend Tom Skilling, long-time popular weatherman on WGN-TV here in Chicago, used to be skeptical of anthropogenic global warming. Then his friend Don Wuebbles, professor of atmospheric physics at the University of Illinois, convinced him otherwise.

Tom gave me this link to a 19-minute video of one of Donís lectures on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c78JmupgjAo

Iíd advise ignoring supposedly scientific information from faux "news" outlets that are actually propagandists for the oil industry.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Boudreau
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: Saugus, MA
      #5650322 - 01/29/13 01:28 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Quote:

john,i could not agree more.i use a light carboard black shield,painted white,an im in florida so i get a 10deg higher ecliptic which helps a lot an not to mention very clear skies.yes an your right about those thermal currents,i got venus in scope now an i see those at times rising up.im on grass so it helps.been looking at merc an venus in daylite since that seventies.thx for the info .btw though i find a c-11 for mercury an venus gets more of those abberations thats why i stick with a c-8.let me know yoir findings an stay in touch john.

Hi Robert,

A few years ago I installed an aluminum tube with large cutouts on my C11. To cool it, I simply use a pedestal fan aimed towards the primary for a few minutes--- seldom longer than 15 minutes. After that if there are still any boundary layer problems with the primary I set the fan a foot or so away from the tube, pointing away to draw air away from the tube. Once the scope is working at or near ambient temperature, I install a Velcro-secured tube cover made of Tyvek.

Usually morning observations are the easiest to set up for, as since the scope is in an observatory it's already near ambient conditions. But before the tube modification I really had to plan hours ahead for afternoon observations--- I used to remove the C11 from the observatory and for a few hours leave it in an air conditioned room set at the predicted afternoon temperatures. That at least got it close, and it would stabilize fairly quickly if kept shaded.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Reged: 03/20/11

Loc: SARASOTA,FL
Re: Mercurys next good obsevation date new [Re: John Boudreau]
      #5650415 - 01/29/13 02:07 PM

that is a nice setup,and a beautiful scope and areal great idea an you avoid most of the heat currents hmm interesting,you must get great images of the galaxies an nebulae. years ago in the eighties an a fire captain in nj,i had a house that had an attic an a dormer.a carpenter friend an i cut a square hole right out of the top of the dormer an made a frame out of 2x4's an put metal cellar doors over it an we built a platform with ladder from attic floor to top an i had a nice observatory.i observed mercury an venus plus all else from up there.i just went up the ladder an opened the doors an set up the scope .it was wonderful but weather was nothing like it is down here in florida.take care an wait to hear or see your reports.thx for sharing that fantastic scope.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/29/13 02:13 PM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5650420 - 01/29/13 02:09 PM

well again i hear reports on both sides an i lean away from global warming until i see real results an credibility.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5650422 - 01/29/13 02:12 PM

Images of galaxies, heck!
Look at that freaking amazing animation of Mercury in John's avatar. He is The Man for Mercury imaging.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercurys next good obsevation date new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5650439 - 01/29/13 02:22 PM

ok ill check that out.rick thx ok i see that great pics.i took many myself but that was 40 years ago.ive been out for almost 17 years.so im catching up.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/29/13 02:24 PM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5650447 - 01/29/13 02:26 PM

john,nice avatar ,i didnt notice it till rick gave me heads up.very nice.i guess you used eyepiece projection at sundown?

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5650450 - 01/29/13 02:28 PM

never had the use or money for any worthwhile camera an stuff.most of mine were drawings,i sent some unto the baa,many years ago.

Centaur
Vendor

#5650870 - 01/29/13 06:16 PM

Quote:

well again i hear reports on both sides an i lean away from global warming until i see real results an credibility.

That does not appear to be a response or critique of the video to which you were directed.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercurys next good obsevation date new [Re: Centaur]
      #5651230 - 01/29/13 09:46 PM

i didnt watch it yet.i was minding my granddaughter. .but again there are pros an cons to it.do you yourself believe in global warming? when i get the chance, tommorow ill respond.thx centaur

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/29/13 09:48 PM)

Centaur
Vendor

#5651261 - 01/29/13 10:05 PM

Quote:

i didnt watch it yet.i was minding my granddaughter. .but again there are pros an cons to it.do you yourself believe in global warming? when i get the chance, tommorow ill respond.thx centaur

Yes, Robert, anthropogenic global warning is not in scientific dispute. Some corporations find it in their interest to disseminate confusion to their media allies, just as Professor Wuebbles implies in his video. All that really should be in debate is the degree to which it might be harmful.

I shall await and respect your critique of the video. Keep in mind that Professor Wuebbles may not sound as silver-tongued as TV commentators like me, but he knows his science.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercurys next good obho really knsevation date new [Re: Centaur]
      #5651294 - 01/29/13 10:23 PM

well ,i will view it an give you my opinion,but i have heard many on both sides,but it does appear that its warming in certain areas but look at the winters lots of snow as well.climate changes are hard to predict.who really knows.ok till then ill keep an open mind an clear skies : to all.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/29/13 10:24 PM)

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Mercurys next good obho really knsevation date new [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #5651897 - 01/30/13 09:38 AM

OK folks lets stick to the origional subject.

Rich (RLTYS)

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercurys next good obho really knsevation date new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5652015 - 01/30/13 10:47 AM

new york,long island,been there many times.l.i.e yikes

John Boudreau
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: Saugus, MA
      #5652447 - 01/30/13 02:22 PM

Quote:

john,nice avatar ,i didnt notice it till rick gave me heads up.very nice.i guess you used eyepiece projection at sundown?

That particular sequence is made up of images taken from Oct 15 to Nov 2 of 2008. It covers Mercury through it's western elongation, and each frame is processed from videos recorded roughly around mid-morning. Most of the surface features shown are of the so-called non-Mariner side of Mercury. At the time of that sequence, the Messenger spacecraft had made 2 flybys of Mercury which recorded some of these features in detail for the first time. I had done a similar sequence in 2007 before Messenger imaged the planet, but improvements in technique resulted in better detail and contrast in the 2008 version.

I image Mercury using Barlow projection and usually near-IR longpass filters. Perhaps my best image to date is this one presented on the ALPO website: http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/mercuryblog/?p=52
Be sure to click on the image to enlarge it.

That Messenger comparison presentation was put together by ALPO Mercury coordinator Frank Melillo. Obviously there is no real comparison to the incredible Messenger image, but at least it demonstrates the reliability of the features I recorded that day.

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5652499 - 01/30/13 02:51 PM

john,thats fantastic work an i thank you for all of it.wow im impressed. i never took any photos of mercury but like i said made drawings an sent them into the british astronomical assn.many years ago.i saw mercury today an i posted it in another thread but it was very pale but nice.same size as venus.thx for all you have done.amazing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2087

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics