Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new
      #5630357 - 01/18/13 06:23 PM

Well it's not the first light I wanted due to time. I will be out for the evening but figured I have to test the new scope out...even if it was only 15 minutes. Since I had gotten used to my dob I thought I would get familiar with the 102, especially in the altaz mode. I also wanted to see if I could use the finder and not have to buy the RACI.....guess what, I will be oerdering the RACI asap. Kneeling on the cold concrete made my mind up.
I also check to see how far I need to extend the legs for comfortable seated viewing. Another thing was to get to know the focuser and my two new ep's.

Once I had that all behind me I sat and picked the brightest and easiest star in the sky, Jupiter. All I can say is WOW. Using the 9mm planetary easily showed the planet and four moons along with other stars. The 25mm celestron also gave similar views. With both ep's I was able to see three bands on Jupiter....and this with a street light and the back door light on. I was also NOT dark adapted as I had just brought the two ep's outside and plopped them in. My 32mm showed even more stars and I could make out two bands. There was no ca that I noticed while looking at Jupiter.

Next and last object, M45. This was a big double WOOOOW. Again all three ep's performed great. All stars were crisp clear and well focused in fov. I actually saw more stars than in my dob, a couple dozen at least.

Other than freezing my fingers it was a great 15 - 20 minutes using the new scope....finally. I will be going to see my friend who lives at a dark site on Sunday and will bring the 102 along. If I get a chance late tonight I will bundle up and try to get a better first view, and this time of clusters and hopefully Saturn.
Stay tuned for more..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5630786 - 01/18/13 11:14 PM

Excellent. You don't like kneeling on the cold ground either huh ?

I used mine most of the night.. I did notice CA on Jupiter and even some bright stars.. This with my new zoom so not sure if that aggravated it. But yes I also saw 3 bands easily and the moons were in a nice balanced layout.

Congratulations on finally getting out!

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5630844 - 01/18/13 11:56 PM

Sounds really good so far. Your quick observations are a great sign that your optics are performing well. One thing which is important this time of year is good observing clothes. I have a full setup which keeps me pretty warm. Otherwise it's hard to stay outside too long.

Refractors are awesome but can get expensive and hard to handle as they get large. But quite frankly a 4 inch refractor in light polluted skies (and dark skies also) can show you a ton of stuff. The moon, planets, double stars, brighter star clusters, and some brighter DSOs are certainly reachable in LP.

For me I would probably only go as big as a 6 inch (more likely a 5 inch) refractor. So if I really want to see DSOs in dark skies, that's where reflectors come in for me. My friend's premium 16 inch dob is pretty amazing. And the 30 inch dob I used to look through (even with a poor coated mirror) was really outstanding. I think I am happy with my 10 inch at this point. I really need to concentrate on getting a bigger house over more stuff at this point.

Glad to hear the scope is working well. Now we just need some warmer (but clear) weather.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5630893 - 01/19/13 12:30 AM

Thanks fellas. Yeah I wasn't really dressed for observing as I only wanted to get familiar with the new scope due to lack of time. I am setting my alarm for 4am and will try to get a glimpse of Saturn. Right now it's clear skies but I just left Prov. RI and there were some thick clouds in that area.
Will be putting out my cold weather gear in case I do wake up at 4am and it's clear out. I will try my Barlow on Saturn to see how it fairs.
I can say that the 102 showed better images of Jupiter in the light LP than my dob. And this with a street and outside flood light on. I usually turn off all outside and the living room lights when I am on the patio viewing, but again it was just a quick peak....couldn't pass up a few minutes of clear skies after waiting a week. This weekend I'll have more time, if we have clear skies.
So I will order a new Barlow and use the one I have on my dob so as not to damage the diagonal in the dark, and also order the 9x50 RACI tomorrow.

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
      #5631186 - 01/19/13 09:17 AM

The curse has ended!

Glad you finally got a chance to use the new scope. Look at the GSO 8x50 RACI at Agena -- it's basically the same as the Orion RACI and it's a little cheaper. You can also get it in white to match your scope. This is the finder I have on my 6" achro.

GSO 8x50 Finder

You should be warned -- now that you have your hands on a good refractor, you'll be hooked. Next thing you know you'll be looking to buy a 5" apo or a 6" achro.

Jammer53

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: Central NY
Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: Mike4242]
      #5631197 - 01/19/13 09:26 AM

After clicking on Mike's link, I now know what RACI is. ;o).

Looks like it makes using the finder scope much more user friendly.

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: Jammer53]
      #5631211 - 01/19/13 09:38 AM

Quote:

Looks like it makes using the finder scope much more user friendly.

It's definitely easier on the neck. Also, keeps you off the off the ground for objects higher up.

One thing I forgot to mention -- if you do get a RACI, you will probably want to pick up a Rigel QuickFinder as well. It can be difficult to tell exactly where you're looking with a RACI. I use my QuickFinder to ensure I'm on the the correct star before starting my star hop with the RACI.

Rigel QuickFinder

A Telrad would work as well, but it's a little large for the Omni 102.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #5631240 - 01/19/13 10:07 AM

I was about to say the same thing.

I use a Telrad on my 127Mak to get me close, and then a 9X50 RACI to scan around (since the mak has a small FOV). I find the combo works great.

Now, my F5 Achro only has a red dot finder since that wide field scope is a finder in itself

Eric

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: Eric63]
      #5631505 - 01/19/13 12:42 PM

Thanks fellas, I check both those out. Will get a RACI for sure.
Well I was up at 4am after only three hours sleep, and guess what ? The clear sky turned into solid clouds...so back to bed..lol I was hoping to finally get a view of Saturn with the new scope. Oh well, will try again tonight.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. [Re: newtoskies]
      #5631515 - 01/19/13 12:54 PM

I just checked the GSO 8x50 finder. Looks good. Compared the Orion and the GSO and the Orion is a 9x50 and GSO is 8x50. There is only a $2 price difference in them. This being that the GSO has free shipping and Orion $10. So I may stick to the 9x50 Orion and pay the $2 more and get a 9x50.

I am searching and comparing the Rigel next, but I will hold off on this item as I do want to buy a new Barlow.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: Eric63]
      #5631615 - 01/19/13 01:44 PM

There's plenty of room n the scope though.. Don't see how you could go wrong with telrad or Rigel. If I was feeling a little more industrious I'd get up and stick my Rigel somehow .. Debating ona few locations..

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: lamplight]
      #5631620 - 01/19/13 01:48 PM

Got a few nice hours in last night. Pretty clear. Wasn't quite sure if I could see 7 of the M45 stars naked eye or just 6.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: lamplight]
      #5631651 - 01/19/13 02:13 PM

Glad to hear you got a couple of hours in Matt. The Rigel comes with two bases which is cool because I could have one on each scope. Not too worried about room on the 102 for both the RACI and Rigel, just a matter of funds for both. I've spent much more than I had planned on, the past couple of weeks. Got the new scope, ordered two ep's and will order the RACI and maybe a Barlow. I'm a slow digger...lol

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

#5631795 - 01/19/13 03:48 PM

Quote:

The Rigel comes with two bases which is cool because I could have one on each scope.

Definitely nice that it comes with two bases. I have a base on both my Omni 102 and AR152. I like to mount it down toward the dew shield end of the tube so I don't have to strain to look through it when viewing objects near zenith.

Here is were it's mounted on the AR152 (It's pretty much in the same place on the 102):

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5631922 - 01/19/13 05:36 PM

I never thought about mounting it that far forward. Makes sense in a way. Thanks for the pic.

Well it's clear skies right now, and I just got home. Will start getting stuff ready for viewing later...unless the missus has other plans.

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
      #5631960 - 01/19/13 05:59 PM

Glad you're enjoying the scope! It is a very decent scope for the price IMO.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5632071 - 01/19/13 07:20 PM

I've just spent about an hour with the new scope. This time it's set up in the yard for better all round viewing and not with ne leg on a shacky wood deck.
I used several ep's on M42 and have the 9mm TMB in the scope. WOW what great views. Like Matt I can see four stars in the center, and very sharp. In fact all my ep's that I used so far show aall stars in fov to be points of light and well focused. No comma present.
Now Jupiter. All I can say is that I am very impressed with the scope and 9mm TMB. I made out the two dark central bands and in the 102 they very clear and defined. They were usually hazy in my dob. First I thought I saw a double star, but it was just two of the moons very close to each other. I then switched to the celestron 25mm alone and with the barlow. I had to let the focuser out pretty far..extended, in order to use the barlow. Again, great clear views of the bands and moons.
Next came M36,37 and 38. LOTS of pin point stars in all three clusters, too many stars to count.

It only took about 2-4 seconds for settling when using the slow motion knobs and focusing. I find it much easier to track with this scope than the dob, even in altaz mode.

I came in for another cup of ht coffee and to change into warmer, layered clothing as it's getting colder. Got my thermals on now, fleece jacket, scarf and gloves. Hoping for about 1-2 more hours of fun then will call it a night...but will be up at 4am to view Saturn. Now if seeing Saturn doesn't make me want to quit all my others hobbies and by more scope gear, then I don't know what will...lolol

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5632076 - 01/19/13 07:23 PM

Sorry Gary, I missed your post. Yes it's a great scope and you can't beat the price. In fact, when I unpacked the scope I thought it was unbelievable what one gets for a small amount of money. Looking at the 102 I keep thinking this is a lot of scope and mount for what I paid. Just the tripod alone is built of heavy solid metal that one would expect to pay much more for. Yeah I am still amazed at this scope, and the hobby in general.

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5632168 - 01/19/13 08:14 PM

you may have some collimation issues with the dob. it should be pretty sharp also. or it was seeing differences. not saying the refractor wont be better...but the dob should also be pretty sharp.

BoriSpider
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/04

Loc: S.W.FLA
Re: Omni XLT102 first light..kind of .. new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5632952 - 01/20/13 10:50 AM

The sharpness of this scope on Saturn is unreal when conditions are right.
Same with M42, the structure you see in the nebula itself is mind blowing. But I guess you can get that in your dob too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1812

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics