Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

Reged: 12/15/04

5hour Timelapse, Astro&Infrared FullSpectrum T2i new
      #5629241 - 01/18/13 01:19 AM Attachment (38 downloads)

Finally got around to processing images taken during the July new moon period at Cherry Springs Dark Sky Park. I posted a HD (1080P) Youtube video of a 5 hour all night time-lapse animation of the Milky Way along with long exposure astro images and daytime infrared false color images here:
http://youtu.be/4VvfXLbiViYv

Details for the astro images can be seen here:
http://garyhonis.com/071212CS/071212CS.html

Pickering's Triangle image is below.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Driven1

Reged: 08/19/10

Loc: N. Central PA near CSSP
Re: 5hour Timelapse, Astro&Infrared FullSpectrum T2i new [Re: Gary Honis]
      #5629604 - 01/18/13 10:12 AM

Gary, awesome shots! I really like the daytime IR stuff too.

I live about 25 miles from CSSP and have been up there a few times just to see what I could see through my little 4.5" scope. Haven't tried imaging there yet. I would expect (as seen in your pics) that it's spectacular.

Thanks to you and your Lifecam mod instructions, I have started to get into AP with that little 4.5" Scope. Works great on Planetary stuff!

I now have a 10" Meade LXD 55 and can't wait to get up to CSSP with that and give it a shot at imaging. I may get into DSLR imaging later as money permits. Have you any thoughts on the new Olympus PEN E-pl5's for AP? They're small, have interchangable lenses, a flip up LCD, and do both RAW and AVI. They also have up to 30mins of Bulb. I guess the main concern with them may be SNR.

We have a local news blog here. Would it be ok to send a pic and a link to your other CSSP shots to the gentleman that runs it to feature on his page? I know him personally and I'm sure he'd be happy to feature a shot from CSSP on his blog. http://solomonswords.blogspot.com/

Again, thanks for the pics and all you have done and continue to do for AP.

Kevin

Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

Re: 5hour Timelapse, Astro&Infrared FullSpectrum T2i new [Re: Driven1]
      #5629682 - 01/18/13 10:54 AM

Hi Kevin,

You are very lucky to live so close to Cherry Springs. I hope the night skies don't continue to degrade from the fracking operations. I've been imaging there for over 20 years now and the increasing skyglow is depressing for this Dark Sky Park designated in 2008 by IDA as a "Gold Level" park.

Yes, the Lifecam HD webcam is popular for planetary, solar and lunar imaging. I have been using my Canon T2i instead in Movie Crop mode because it can capture at 60 frames per second, which really helps with our poor seeing conditions.

Concerning the Olympus PEN E-PL5 for astro imaging, I don't know much about that model but there are so many mirrorless digital cameras being introduced with removable lenses, I think it is just a matter of time before we make the move to mirrorless for astro.

Yes, please feel free to contact "Solomonswords". Your area is lucky to have such a news service and I always enjoy seeing Curt Weinhold's photos.

Hope to see you at Cherry Springs this Spring!

Driven1

#5629718 - 01/18/13 11:12 AM

Thanks Gary. I'll send Solomon's something shortly. He's very "Anti-fracking" so I think I'll send him the shot showing the light spikes from the well flares too. I'll work up a little story for him. And yes, Curt gets some great shots of the area. With any luck, we'll get up there quite a bit this year. Got a lot going on right now, but hopefully that will all calm down before Spring hits and we can get up there in earnest. Hope to see you there as well. Would be great to meet you!

bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
      #5629737 - 01/18/13 11:16 AM

Very nice picture Gary !

Nils_Lars
Postmaster

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA
Re: 5hour Timelapse, Astro&Infrared FullSpectrum T2i new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5630921 - 01/19/13 12:54 AM

Very well done on the Triangle here Gary.

Driven1

Re: 5hour Timelapse, Astro&Infrared FullSpectrum T2i new [Re: Nils_Lars]
      #5631183 - 01/19/13 09:13 AM

Story sent. Will let you know when it's up on Solomon's.

srosenfraz
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/11

Loc: United States
Re: 5hour Timelapse, Astro&Infrared FullSpectrum T2i [Re: Driven1]
      #5631528 - 01/19/13 12:59 PM

Great looking images, Gary. Your video was very entertaining as well.

Driven1

Re: 5hour Timelapse, Astro&Infrared FullSpectrum T2i new [Re: srosenfraz]
      #5633718 - 01/20/13 06:18 PM

Gary, story's up.

fco_star
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/10

Loc: Texas, Midland
      #5633819 - 01/20/13 07:32 PM

very nice Gary

Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

#5636073 - 01/22/13 01:07 AM

Hey Kevin, nice write up on Solomon's Words. It has generated a lot of discussion there. We were thinking along the same lines about the Google "Earth At Night 2012" service. It's a great feature for checking out local light pollution conditions for observing/imaging. I put together a Youtube video using the Earth at Night imagery for PA and it involved a little work to get light pollution images to line up with more local road map views. It includes a close up of the Coudersport/Cherry Springs area along with the location of fracking sites here:

http://youtu.be/EfJ9KwGKKkM

Driven1

#5637510 - 01/22/13 06:34 PM

Yes, a lot of discussion. Unfortunately, a good portion of the comments were, well, um..., oh the hell with it, STUPID. Which is par for the course for that particular blog. There were however, some good comments related to the intention of the article, the preservation of Cherry Springs' dark skies.

Oddly enough, shortly after my story was published a Star Trails photo done from Lyman Lake (near Cherry Springs) by a local photographer by the name of Tim Walck was published and not long after that, an announcement of a course from the Potter County Education Council about Basic Astronomy would be given by our own Stash Nawrocki.

So, if nothing else, I'd say that the article generated some interest and may in the long run, generate more visitors to the park and help to preserve Cherry Springs' dark skies.

Glad you enjoyed the article and thanks for allowing me to use your photos.

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1042

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics