Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
John_Cox

Reged: 01/19/13

Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100
      #5631574 - 01/19/13 01:25 PM

We have an 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100. Is it feasible to fit it with an electronic focuser and if so please recommend a brand? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
snowcrow
sage

Reged: 10/21/12

Loc: Vermont
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: John_Cox]
      #5631608 - 01/19/13 01:41 PM

Here is what I have:

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/focusers/jimsmobilemotofocusf...

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: loozyanna
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: snowcrow]
      #5631690 - 01/19/13 02:46 PM

I would say from the top down, as far as I have heard...

Feathertouch
Moonlight
JMI

after them comes the lower end of GSO and Synta brands.

It surprises me that you would have a fairly high end scope such as the CPC1100 and not know of these.

I see you are new to Cloudy Nights with your first post... are you also new to the hobby with this being your first scope?

so welcome to cloudy nights. you will find many knowledgeable people here. ask many questions and you will get many people willing to help.

Theo

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: cavefrog]
      #5631789 - 01/19/13 03:42 PM

I have just concluded research into focusers for an EdgeHD 11" and ordered a Moonlight 2.5" CSL with 1.5" drawtube and Micro precision steppermotor drive with V2 controller. AFter about 3 mo0nths of research, talking to other users, and in particular, talking to Ron Newman at Moonlight5, Ron impressed me with his knowledge of the Celestron SCT's and his intent to make the best focuser for the SCT...

I also researched the Feathertouch and Rigel, and I have a JMI on a different telescope.

First, I ruled out JMI as its cheaply made, in my opinion I paid $179 for about $49 worth of gear, and the only good thing I have to say about it, it works... Too flimsy for a high quality deep space imaging telescope however works fine for a guide scope where focusing is not super critical. Were I to replace the JMI, I would purchase a Rigel next time...

As to the Feathertouch, communications did not get me satisfact6tory information, I am a technical person and I want to know how something works the way it does so I know I'm getting what will work for me the way I expect it to and I could not get the answers I wanted and was quoted a price that I felt was way higher than what I thought was reasonable.

Rigel looks like a good motorized focusing solution for a person doing visual work however as my interest is in deep space dim DSO imaging,I concluded the Moonlight focuser was the best solution for my needs.

And talking to Ron Newman of Moonlight on the telephone several times, Ron had all the right answers to my questions and I learned a lot while talking to him...

Therefore, I have ordered the Moonlight focuser for my 11" SCT and hopefully will have it next week... At that point I can tell you more about it if you are interested...

Trombone
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/05

Loc: Canadian west (and north!)
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: fmhill]
      #5632132 - 01/19/13 07:51 PM

Ron's product is very nice. Pretty too! The personal service and knowledge you get from him is wonderful.

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: Trombone]
      #5632959 - 01/20/13 10:53 AM

I totally agree that Ron not only offers superior products, but great customer relations as well.
Michael

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5633789 - 01/20/13 07:02 PM

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=telescopes...

Scroll down to see stepper geared to drive CPC focus knob

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: John_Cox]
      #5634542 - 01/21/13 09:18 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

I have a Feathertouch 2015BCR with Starizona Microtouch powered focusing on my C11 Edge...works great

Clear Skies,
Brian

nanochow

Reged: 08/18/13

Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: BKBrown]
      #6314322 - 01/15/14 12:48 PM

Does the 2015BCR allow enough travel to achieve prime focus on your CPC1100? Also, did you wind up getting the standard of the low profile 2" motor?

Thanks

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: rigelsys]
      #6315145 - 01/15/14 06:56 PM

Quote:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=telescopes...

Scroll down to see stepper geared to drive CPC focus knob

Another example of astrophotography using stepper focus motor geared to CPC focus knob

http://www.pbase.com/skybox

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: rigelsys]
      #6316392 - 01/16/14 12:25 PM

The surprising thing about Moolite is how basically simple they are. If design was the only thing involved anyone could do this. But execution has to be ninety percent of a good focuser. I have a Orion Premium 110ED that I picked up knowing it had a flukey focuser. The design was fairly complex and the materials very nice. I must have had it apart 10 times trying to get decent action out of it. I finally determined that the low speed drive pin was improperly ground and the irregularity was producing the thumpy action. Through a classified swap I got a WO parts focuser that appeared to be of the same manufacture, It had a good drive pin that solved the problem. So after two years I can enjoy the telescope.

Getting involved with Chinese products means that there is little or no support to deal with defects or worn parts. In the end it's cheaper to buy "local" and get that support and up front quality.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: Geo.]
      #6327305 - 01/21/14 11:00 PM

I went with Rigel. Why? Great price, and they have, or will custom make a remote focus adapter for every scope I own. Even for my Feather touch crayford. I then can use one controller for all my imaging scopes. Many of the others only work with "their" brand of focuser. No sale! I have lots of various scopes that need to be fitted.

Edited by Wmacky (01/21/14 11:04 PM)

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: cavefrog]
      #6327315 - 01/21/14 11:07 PM

Quote:

I would say from the top down, as far as I have heard...

Feathertouch
Moonlight
JMI

after them comes the lower end of GSO and Synta brands.

It surprises me that you would have a fairly high end scope such as the CPC1100 and not know of these.

I see you are new to Cloudy Nights with your first post... are you also new to the hobby with this being your first scope?

so welcome to cloudy nights. you will find many knowledgeable people here. ask many questions and you will get many people willing to help.

Theo

You seem to be just listing focusers. He ask asked about electronic focusing.

rgsalinger

Reged: 02/19/07

Loc: Carlsbad Ca
Re: Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100 new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6332662 - 01/24/14 01:30 PM

I used an Optec TCFSi with my CGE11" with excellent results. The key to using any of the add on focusers is, of course, being able to lock the mirrors but the Optec's temperature compensation was a winner for me as I do mostly AP.
Rgrds-Ross

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1525

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics