Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
Haas
sage

Reged: 11/22/12

Loc: Wis., USA
Question about mounts
      #5631587 - 01/19/13 01:32 PM

If a person were to find a nice OTA in the classifieds, and purchase it, how can you tell what type of mount can be used? It it pretty universal?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Question about mounts new [Re: Haas]
      #5631635 - 01/19/13 01:56 PM

Well it would depend on several factors -- what you want to do with the scope (visual or AP), weight and length of the OTA (every mount has a maximum load capacity) and mounting hardware available with the OTA. A good first step would be to check the new listings for the OTA in question and see what mount or mounts it is being sold on, since that would give you a good idea of the proper match.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Question about mounts new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5631661 - 01/19/13 02:18 PM

Yep, what he said.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Question about mounts new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5631764 - 01/19/13 03:30 PM

If you are looking for an ALT -AZ mount which is the easiest for visual. I would look at Universal Astronomics. Larry the owner makes great mounts that are simple and sturdy. He is excellent to work with and his mounts are very good quality.

I have a dwarf star for a small refractor and it works outstanding.

He should be able to help you out whatever scope you get.

Haas
sage

Reged: 11/22/12

Loc: Wis., USA
Re: Question about mounts new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5631767 - 01/19/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

If you are looking for an ALT -AZ mount which is the easiest for visual. I would look at Universal Astronomics. Larry the owner makes great mounts that are simple and sturdy. He is excellent to work with and his mounts are very good quality.

That's awesome. So, if I were to come across a OTA, I shouldn't really have any fear of not being able to find a satisfactory mount for it?

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Question about mounts new [Re: Haas]
      #5631792 - 01/19/13 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's awesome. So, if I were to come across a OTA, I shouldn't really have any fear of not being able to find a satisfactory mount for it?

Yes, but and there is always a but. I don't want to mislead you. You can get a mount but you will also need a tripod to attach it to. With that said this changes depending on the weight of the scope you get. If its a small grab and go refractor you will be able to get something good for $200 - $300. If you get into a heavier piece you may be over $500.

My Dwarf Star mount was $150.00 and I already had a tripod that worked very well. The AT72ED I have is about 5 lbs. If you get a 25 LBS SCT you are going to need a bigger mount.

Just take all this into consideration before buying something. It may cost more than you think. I love my setup but with the scope, diagonal, mount, and tripod I am over $750.00.

Just some things to think about.

Ken

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 270

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics