Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: rookie]
      #5604957 - 01/04/13 02:47 PM

Quote:

I'm in a bookcase shortage too. I've been to the furniture stores today to look for bookshelves. The "solid woods" are thin boards with laminates. I couldn't find anything made of single thick boards. I'm sure these will all bow with time and they are not cheap. I have to keep looking.

You know, I'm starting to think the only way for people like us to get the shelf space we need is to build it. Building a good, solid, basic bookshelf isn't complicated, and you end up with a unit that serves your needs far better than a cheap store-bought one, at a lot less expense. Granted, it won't be fancy furniture (unless you're good at woodworking), but paint it dark and nobody will ever notice.

That's the only way to get that complete floor-to-ceiling wall-to-wall book shelving we all need.
And, I want one of those ladders that are on a rail at the top and have wheels on the bottom, so I can roll along the top of the bookcase. And with a little platform, so I can peruse a volume without coming down the ladder. *sigh* Unfortunately, I don't have the mansion with 20-foot ceilings required for that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5610194 - 01/07/13 12:59 PM

My copy of this book just arrived. It's a beautiful-looking book, and I'm looking forward to a detailed trek through it.

BUT:

It's a Cambridge book. I have never, ever, EVER had a new book arrive from them undamaged, and this one is no exception. It's always the same damage, too - it was dropped on its upper right corner (as you face it), and the corner is crushed! What is wrong with those people that they can't pack a book properly?? Everyone else on Earth seems to be able to. I get used books, bought for a couple of bucks, that arrive packed to withstand a bomb blast! I mean, how hard would it be to put it in a freaking box??

The damage isn't quite severe enough to go through all the hassle of returning it for a replacement (which I've done many times before!); just enough to really tick me off. I'm just going to bite the bullet; but I'm never in my life going to order a new book from Cambridge again! I'll wait for a good used copy to come available from someone who respects books. This was the last straw for these guys!

Sorry for the rant. But Cambridge has lost my new book business for good, now.
Grrr!

Edit: I changed my mind, and requested an undamaged replacement copy. It's the principle: We shouldn't have to go through this every time!

Edited by Rick Woods (01/07/13 01:36 PM)

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5610319 - 01/07/13 02:21 PM

Rick, the same thing happened to me when I ordered a copy from Amazon. The book was simply thrown into a big box with a couple of those worthless air pillows. No protection for the corners whatsoever, so one of the corners got dinged pretty badly during shipment. I've had a few annoying experiences like that with Amazon lately, and I was ticked off enough to return my copy for a refund and then order another copy from Barnes and Noble, which arrived in fine shape. Anyway, it's a beautiful atlas and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5610375 - 01/07/13 02:50 PM

Quote:

It's a Cambridge book. I have never, ever, EVER had a new book arrive from them undamaged, and this one is no exception. It's always the same damage, too - it was dropped on its upper right corner (as you face it), and the corner is crushed! What is wrong with those people that they can't pack a book properly??

I made the same experience with Cambridge and was burnt on several occasions. I am sorry for the following harsh words, but it is the sad reality that their book packaging "standard" is nothing else than poor and ignorant. Even on expensive and heavy books, absolutely NO padding is standard with Cambridge, warranting that you get most likely a damaged copy with at least one bumped corner or edge.
I stopped wasting my time and nerves with their *BLEEP* packaging/shipping service. Instead, I order Cambridge publications through a local bookstore and inspect the books upon arrival before paying anything.

Stephan

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5610541 - 01/07/13 04:33 PM

Well, the seller doesn't have another copy; so I'll be sending it back and looking for another one unless they'll give me a substantial discount, in which case I'll just pretend it's a used copy in not-great condition. Gah!

On the flip side, it's a beautiful book. I've only spent a few minutes going through it, but here are my initial impressions:

- Almost all the photography is by amateurs; a remarkable feat!

- Many of the photos are sublimely beautiful; but a large portion of them seem to suffer from a bit of over-processing. The intended sharpness enhancement comes off as artificial. The sunlit faces of craters are too bright, and the overall impression is kind of a double-image sensation. Example: The photo of Taruntius on the lower right page of section 7 is absolutely stunning; then, look at the pictures of Aristoteles in part 23. See what I mean? Sort of "too sharp", it just doesn't look right to me. Maybe it's all in my mind, I don't know.
But this is not a serious flaw in the book IMO; it's beautifully produced, and I can certainly live with the processing decisions made by the authors.

- It's not really an "atlas"; it's much more of a guide book to interesting formations on the Moon. If you're looking for a comprehensive atlas, the Rukl or Times atlases are much more appropriate. That said, it looks like a very good guide book! (But again, I've only spent a few minutes with it).
If I ever get a satisfactory resolution to my damage problem, I think this will ultimately become a very useful book.

In another thread I started here about "How many atlases do you need?", I complained about a particular view of the Altai Scarp not appearing on a single page in any of my atlases. This book contains the exact image I was searching for. So, there it is!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5616033 - 01/10/13 06:39 PM

Well, happy ending; I got the seller to discount the book 20%, and just kept it. I'm not that sensitive to a little crushed corner (it isn't really very bad); I'm just sensitive to paying full price for a new book, and having it pre-dinged for me! I don't know if it was damaged in transit, or before they sent it; but I'm OK with this outcome.

Still not going to buy any new Cambridge books online anymore, though. I suspect it was already dinged before they sent it; even though the wrapping was inadequate (just paper), no corners were damaged on the wrap. And if you've held that book, you know that cover is *really* heavy and strong - it took a serious fall to do this damage, which would surely have torn the paper.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

#5616108 - 01/10/13 07:29 PM

Rick...

Thank you for your review of the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas. That is too bad about the damage to the book; however, if you are satisfied with the price adjustment then all's well that ends well.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5616499 - 01/10/13 11:31 PM

Yep; and it really is a good book.

atnbirdie

Reged: 12/10/06

Loc: Middletown, MD
Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5631912 - 01/19/13 05:28 PM

Rick,
I have the Moon Book too, but alo like paper for such references. I sent the PDF to Kinko's and had them print, bind, & cover it for me. Give it a try, you'll like it. Gotta go and order my CPMA

Edited by atnbirdie (01/19/13 05:30 PM)

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: atnbirdie]
      #5645142 - 01/26/13 09:12 PM

I really love this book. There are often several pictures of the same feature to show different light and shadow plays. The pictures also demonstrate subtle colorful hues, and strong shadow contrasts. My favorite pictures are of the Aristarchus plateau. Nothing replaces the telescope and eyepiece, but this book is a good substitute for a cloudynight.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2854

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics