Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
SpaceRooster

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: Georgia
TV 11mm Plossl and 2x Barlow First Light
      #5631984 - 01/19/13 06:17 PM

Finally got to head out and give my new TV's a spin. Nice, cold windless night (a bit too windless, my secondary/eyepieces fogged over about an hour and a half in because of a high dew point...), 4-5 out of 10 seeing, 8 transparency.

First up was Jupiter. First popped in my 25mm Sirius to find it, and to get a pretty good baseline to compare the new plossl to. It was about the size of a pencil eraser, with 2 bands JUST visible when the atmosphere played along. Moons were shapeless orbs. I popped the Sirius into the barlow to compare get a measure of loss of brightness/contrast, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the contrast was hardly effected. Brightness was diminished, but not to the point that the moons were hard to see. Definitely a good trade-off for doubling the power.

Next up was the 11mm by itself. I dropped it in and immediately noticed that the 11mm had much less kidney beaning that the 25mm Sirius, if at all. It was much easier to navigate around the whole picture without it blacking out. The contrast was also very good considering the average seeing conditions. Both equatorial bands were clearly visible, as well as the southern tropical band. The moons were clearly discernible as orbs with less coma than was present in the 25mm. The quality of the TV was really apparent compared to the 25.

Barlowing the 11mm also gave great contrast for the seeing. If anything, the reduction in brightness helped pull a bit of the glare off of the surface and reveal a few more details in the cloud bands not apparent with just the 11mm. Any time you can put a barlow in between your eye and the object and GAIN contrast, you know you put your money in the right place.

Next up was the Moon, and I must say it was gorgeous. By this point the eyepieces and secondary were already starting to fog up, but the image was still fairly crisp considering the conditions. I took a few photos, and this one came out best:

(p.s. Not sure what craters these are. they are just off the edge of one of the smaller maria. If anyone knows, I'd like to know. Keep in mind this image is inverted vertically and rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.)

After I got a good gander at the moon, everything fogged/frosted up to the point Jupiter was a fuzzy white ball the size of the FOV. I was going to stay out till Saturn decided to come up but I have no secondary heater so that was the end of my night.

I am impressed by these new eyepieces, and can see why TV has such legendary status among astronomers for quality.

Edited by SpaceRooster (01/19/13 06:21 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: TV 11mm Plossl and 2x Barlow First Light new [Re: SpaceRooster]
      #5632372 - 01/19/13 10:43 PM

Nice report.

And a very cool picture too.

I too have the humble 11mm T.V plossl.

It is my favorite Planetary E.P.

I also use it randomly on DSOs with pleasing results.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't take it a step further and buy myself a few more Televues.

jake

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: TV 11mm Plossl and 2x Barlow First Light new [Re: SpaceRooster]
      #5634289 - 01/21/13 01:45 AM

Quote:

***The moons were clearly discernible as orbs with less coma than was present in the 25mm. The quality of the TV was really apparent compared to the 25.***

I thought so too. I found the TVs sharper, more contrasty, better correct, and with better glare control than the Chinese Ploessls, specifically the Sirius line.

Pages: 1

Extra information
33 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 382

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics