Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: bigdob24]
      #5629674 - 01/18/13 10:50 AM

So far have not been bothered with dew and have no dew strips/equipment. Not that we don't get dew here, we do occasionally. But it is usually not until just before daybreak...and I'm just not up that late (actually, I am, but only after I've been asleep, as I'm usually up before it gets light to go to work.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5629740 - 01/18/13 11:17 AM

I wonder if it would help putting a hand warmer on the eyepiece by using an elastic band to secure it on the eyepiece, (the side of course), ?? Hmmmmm....Has anybody tried this?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5629842 - 01/18/13 12:10 PM

That would probably cause thermals as it would be too much heat. Now, throw that handwarmer into a closed eyepiece case......

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5629906 - 01/18/13 12:53 PM

All of this depends on where you observe. If you are in a dewy area - the East Coast of the USA, for instance - you really need dew control on the eyepieces when they're in the focuser. Whether or not you warm the eyepieces while they're still in the case is pretty much irrelevent. I wouldn't waste my time with it. In fact, I don't.

Maybe farther north, heating the eyepiece case would make more sense. And out west, in the drier states of the USA, maybe dew control for the eyepieces is not needed at all.

Any observer with a little experience should know what they need or don't need in their area in terms of dew control. There's no sense having observers from different climates debate what's needed - that's going to vary from area to area.

But I know for a fact that in my area, you really need dew control at the telescope, not in the equipment box. Dew can be prevented actively or passively. For most nights here - if you're going to observe longer than just an hour or so - you better have active dew control on an eyepiece in the focuser, the eyepiece of the finder, and the Telrad.

Here in Maryland, a hand-warmer or two in the eyepiece case won't cut it. You best keep those hand warmers in your pocket. That's just the way it is.

Mike

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: Starman1]
      #5629985 - 01/18/13 01:51 PM

Quote:

And remove the eyecups to keep air circulating between your eye and the eyepiece.

You can buy high end goggles for alpine skiing that have tiny little fans built into the sides to blow a gentle stream of air in front of your eyes to keep the goggles from fogging. Maybe that's what we need for our eyepieces!

dan

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

#5630005 - 01/18/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

I wonder if it would help putting a hand warmer on the eyepiece by using an elastic band to secure it on the eyepiece, (the side of course), ?? Hmmmmm....Has anybody tried this?

The chemical hand warmers do their best when in an enclosed space that will trap the heat such as a coat pocket or in an eyepiece case. Out in the open they don't hold up to the task very well. Having said that, I have used them inside a refractor dew shield by laying them along the lower edge and they did the job for me in a pinch. They will stop dew, they won't clear it once it starts. I have hand warmers under the eyepieces of a pair of binos and they were completely ineffective as the eyelenses fogged up as soon as I tried to look through them.

There are supplies of reuseable chemical heaters that put out a lot more heat than the little hand warmers. You can find some in a camping section of a sports store or in the baby section of some department stores. Boil the heaters to charge them. Shake them up to activate. You can get a wrap around model that is made to warm up baby bottles. (Should fit a 17mm T4 rather well.)

dan

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: dan_h]
      #5630010 - 01/18/13 02:07 PM

I haven't had much of a problem - if at all - with eyepieces fogging from my body heat or breath. That just doesn't happen for me. Maybe the key is to breath slowly but deeply when looking in an eyepiece? Don't huff and puff.

In general, I keep the eyecups on my eyepieces and try to add them to eyepieces that don't already have eyecups. Even for my little flat-top short focal-length eyepieces, I like to attach a shallow eyecup to help center my eye and shield it from ambient light.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: dan_h]
      #5630019 - 01/18/13 02:16 PM

Dan,

Quote:

Having said that, I have used them [hand warmers] inside a refractor dew shield by laying them along the lower edge and they did the job for me in a pinch. They will stop dew, they won't clear it once it starts.

The best method to prevent dewing on a refractor objective is to make a longer dew shield for it. The dew shields supplied with most refractors are not long enough to keep dew from forming on the objective lens - at least in my area. Make them from black foam core, line them with ProtoStar or similar, and close it tight with Velcro strips. The ProtoStar or similar lining is important not only for glare prevention but to trap the dew and keep it from rolling down onto the objective.

I also make these for my binocular objectives. Easy to do and cheap.

When I have these home-made dew shields on a finder scope, refractor telescope or binoculars, dew will absolutely never form on the objectives, no matter how dewy the night is or how long the optics are exposed to the night air. Not gonna' happen'.

Mike

Dick Jacobson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/22/06

Loc: Plymouth, Minnesota, USA
      #5630534 - 01/18/13 08:20 PM

Quote:

I have a friend who uses this method all the time. And this is Minnesota, so it should work anywhere.

I've often wondered if it would be practical to make an electrically heated focuser, or would the power demand be too great?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: Dick Jacobson]
      #5630581 - 01/18/13 09:02 PM

We have electrically heated focusers now - you just have to wrap a dew strip around the focuser.

Mike

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5631210 - 01/19/13 09:38 AM

Quote:

We have electrically heated focusers now - you just have to wrap a dew strip around the focuser.

Mike

Tha's what I do but I question the sanity of it. The dew strip is a few Watts, wraped around an exposed piece of metal that is thermally coupled to an exposed OTA with enough surface area to radiate alot more than a few Watts.
How much of that energy goes to warm the eyepiece, even with a dew strip on the eyepiece. Seems like a loosing battle.

Dick Jacobson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/22/06

Loc: Plymouth, Minnesota, USA
Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: mich_al]
      #5631219 - 01/19/13 09:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Tha's what I do but I question the sanity of it. The dew strip is a few Watts, wraped around an exposed piece of metal that is thermally coupled to an exposed OTA with enough surface area to radiate alot more than a few Watts.
How much of that energy goes to warm the eyepiece, even with a dew strip on the eyepiece. Seems like a loosing battle.

A well designed electrically heated focuser would heat the drawtube but as little else as possible. Maybe there would be resistive heating elements embedded in the drawtube, and some kind of insulation between the drawtube and the focuser body. Sounds like an interesting project if there are any machinists out there reading this.

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: Dick Jacobson]
      #5631331 - 01/19/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

A well designed electrically heated focuser would heat the drawtube but as little else as possible. Maybe there would be resistive heating elements embedded in the drawtube, and some kind of insulation between the drawtube and the focuser body. Sounds like an interesting project if there are any machinists out there reading this.

If you heat the focuser tube, the eyepiece will still dew up and that is the problem you want to fix. You will need to apply a lot of heat to the focuser to effectively prevent eyepiece dew. Sounds like a recipe to create thermal problems. This is a case where less is better.

Put a dew strap on the eyepiece as needed and be done with it.

dan

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: mich_al]
      #5631372 - 01/19/13 11:25 AM

Quote:

Are we really worried about wasting a few watts of electricity? Are we going to having Green Telescopes now? I hope not.

I think convenience, adaptability and lowering initial costs are more important than wasting a few pennies in electricty. IME, my rechargeable 12v battery lasts at least eight hours. That's good enough for me.

Also, if we heat the focuser or other integral parts of the OTA internally, then we have a good chance of introducing thermals into the optical system. Definitely not a good thing. We should keep application of heat to the telescope to a minimum. I'll stick with the dew strips.

Mike

andyrud

Reged: 05/21/07

Loc: Philo, California
Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: Dan McConaughy]
      #5631551 - 01/19/13 01:09 PM

New guy here.

Could somebody explain what causes dew and also what is dew point?

Thanks in advance,
Andy R

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Warm Eyepieces new [Re: andyrud]
      #5631677 - 01/19/13 02:32 PM

Quote:

New guy here.

Could somebody explain what causes dew and also what is dew point?

Thanks in advance,
Andy R

Simple.
Cold air has less ability to contain water vapor than warm air.
So, as the night cools, eventually the water vapor content of the air becomes too high for the colder air to sustain and the water vapor condenses out on cold surfaces.
If the air is dry, that point could be at a very cold temperature. In fact, it may never get to that cold a temperature, hence, no dew. That is often the case in the desert or mountains in the Southwest.
If the air is moist, the condensation point might be reached with only a few degrees drop in air temperature.

Since horizontal surfaces exposed to the sky are radiating heat into space, and space is not radiating heat back, those surfaces become cold and it is on those surfaces dew first condenses.
Vertical surfaces radiate, most of the time, into the nearby environment which, in turn, is radiating heat right back. So those surfaces cool more slowly and are the last surfaces to get dew on them (in case you wondered why the top of your car got dew before the sides).

So, dewpoint is the temperature at which water vapor can no longer be carried by the air and below which the air must shed water. This is why the relative humidity rises at night, because humidity is related to the ability of the air to carry moisture. Hot air can carry more moisture, so if the absolute humidity (the amount of water vapor in the air) doesn't change, the relative humidity will be highest at night and lowest in the peak temperature of the daytime.

Hope I explained it well enough.

andyrud

Reged: 05/21/07

Loc: Philo, California
Re: Warm Eyepieces [Re: Starman1]
      #5632118 - 01/19/13 07:43 PM

Very good explanation Starman.

Thanks,
Andy R

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
34 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1558

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics