Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Gregen

Reged: 11/25/12

Loc: CA
Acrylic fixative?
      #5632156 - 01/19/13 08:08 PM

Hi, I am newer to sketching and would like to know if I should get a can of acrylic fixative. Will it help on graphite sketches. Is it worth it? If it is what one should I get?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
Re: Acrylic fixative? new [Re: Gregen]
      #5633221 - 01/20/13 01:28 PM

From my limited experience I'd say yes. But on my pastel drawings the colours faded because - as I had the impression - the spray would wash away the graphite of my drawing. It's liquid at first and takes a few minutes to completely dry. Therefore do only 1 or 2 layers at most. Also spray from at least 1ft distance and in regular over and back movements to avoid thick drops. So use it with care and certainly don't overdo!

Perhaps someone else has more experience and can give you better advice?

Cheers,

Peter

Gregen

Re: Acrylic fixative? new [Re: PeterDob]
      #5633972 - 01/20/13 09:44 PM

Thanks for the advice peter!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5634249 - 01/21/13 12:58 AM

I use workable fixitive and have for decades. I don't kno if it acrylic bug it does the trick. The stuff smells awful hit ten minutes and appears wet as well but dries quickly with no l affects to graphite or pastel. I think its an essential preservative.

Pete

Gregen

Re: Acrylic fixative? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5635216 - 01/21/13 03:30 PM

Thanks Pete, I will go with your advice.

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
      #5637552 - 01/22/13 06:58 PM

Like Pete, I use a workable fixative too. The kind I use is Krylon and you can buy it the Hobby Lobby if you have one local.

The trick is to spray it away from your sketch to get it started, preventing splatters ruining your sketch. Once it is flowing freely, I hold the can about a foot and a half away and make a few light passes across the sketch. Once it dries you can do it again if desired. When I'm done spraying, I hold the can upside down and press the spray button again to clear the lines.

Hope that makes sense.

Gregen

Re: Acrylic fixative? new [Re: Erix]
      #5637969 - 01/22/13 11:07 PM

Thanks Erika, it makes total sense. I am reading the book you helped write, astronomical sketching, it is a great book! I love your section on lunar charcoal sketching and on the sun! If you look at my post called moon, you can see my second sketch of a lunar crater and it was inspired by your book. Thank you for all of your advice and help!
,Grant

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5638013 - 01/22/13 11:28 PM

Yes I use the Krylon too Erika. Lol I should use your indirect spray technique though. When I used to do lots and lots of Prismacolor illustration commercially this stuff was truly needed as the wax in the Prismacolor pigment *leads* would "bloom" where this slight translucent haze would form. It wiped off easy enough but then there goes your work. The WF essentially SEALED the wax based pigment so this bloom never occurred . Pastels never gave me this issue but there's no wax to speak of like the Prismacolors. I had to give up that particular medium
Forever last year when I wasn't able to sharpen the darned things without the leads fragmenting and shattering. When BEROL made them it was great. Now its cheap . Too bad really.

Ok my artsy sidetrack.

Pete

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Re: Acrylic fixative? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5638023 - 01/22/13 11:37 PM

I find it all interesting, thanks for your artsy 'sidetrack'! The problem I had with it at first was splurting liquid on my pastel drawings. Against black paper, as I usually work with white pastels on black, it would remove the pastel leaving only the black background. Very upsetting. Then someone suggested that I spray away from the sketch first to remove the splurting.

I also find it handy to use a bulb blower to blow away excess pastel dust off the drawing before using the fixative.

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

#5638085 - 01/23/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks Erika, it makes total sense. I am reading the book you helped write, astronomical sketching, it is a great book! I love your section on lunar charcoal sketching and on the sun! If you look at my post called moon, you can see my second sketch of a lunar crater and it was inspired by your book. Thank you for all of your advice and help!
,Grant

Thank you, Grant and thank you for the interest in our book. I hope you're finding it helpful. I took a look at your second sketch and think you're doing a wonderful job! You should see my first eyepiece sketches, they weren't nearly as good as yours.

If you really get into lunar sketching and would like something similar to the Astronomical Sketching book, a small group of us wrote a sketching book solely on various techniques of sketching the Moon, covering a wide range of lunar features. Sketching the Moon, An Astronomical Artist's Guide

I'm a bit embarrassed that it sounds like a shameful plug , but it's packed full of step by step instructions and tips, as well as work from other contributing astro sketchers.

Gregen

Re: Acrylic fixative? new [Re: Erix]
      #5639568 - 01/23/13 09:13 PM

After I have finished with the basics and am on a steady track, I will defiantly order that book. Thanks for the advice!

mike73

Reged: 05/01/12

Loc: UK Plymouth
      #5640013 - 01/24/13 04:48 AM

Using fixative has always been a heart stopping moment for me, all that hard work you put into a sketch and its so easily ruined buy a couple random splatters of fixative so thanks for the great tip Erika, I shall try it tonight.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 883

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics