Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dennyhenke

Reged: 09/07/12

Loc: Fredericktown, MO
Any suggested soundtracks for viewing?
      #5633052 - 01/20/13 11:59 AM

Might be an odd question but anyone here make it a point to listen to music while viewing? If yes, any suggestions? My favorite is L'apocalypse des animaux & Vangelis which includes at least one song from the Cosmos TV Series, maybe more? The one I'm certain of is Creation du monde which you'll quickly recognize if you've ever watched the series.

The whole album is very low-key and for me, perfect star gazing music. That said, I listen to it often and am looking for a few alternatives.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: dennyhenke]
      #5633067 - 01/20/13 12:05 PM

Vangelis is great, Chris Spheeris and jean Michel Jarre ( Oxygene) you might want to look at.

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
      #5633069 - 01/20/13 12:08 PM

I often listen to Mike Olfield's "Songs of Distant Earth" which was inspired by an Arthur C, Clarke's book of the same name. Brian Eno also has some nice spacey "ambient" style music. Try "Music for Airports". Pink Floyd's epic "Echoes" also works -it is from the Meddle album.

Quinn

Reged: 03/19/12

Loc: California, Los Angeles
      #5633081 - 01/20/13 12:13 PM

I enjoy Classical on lunar runs. Just discovered a few pieces written by William Herschel on YouTube of all places. yep "That Herschel"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ZA0gA4Qps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BehLlyqYk8

Vivaldi get a lot of play in the yard.

Quinn

spaulmac

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Louisville, KY
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: Quinn]
      #5633152 - 01/20/13 12:55 PM

Anything from the soundtrack to "Cosmos" will work for those of a certain age.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: spaulmac]
      #5633187 - 01/20/13 01:11 PM

Gustav Holst, The Planets.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5633191 - 01/20/13 01:15 PM

Here is what I enjoy

dennyhenke

Reged: 09/07/12

Loc: Fredericktown, MO
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5633297 - 01/20/13 02:05 PM

Great suggestions everyone! Going to be adding to my music library for sure.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5633298 - 01/20/13 02:07 PM

Guess Im the odd man out....I listen to Apocolyptica, sometime Metallica, lol

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: droid]
      #5633320 - 01/20/13 02:20 PM

I usually listen to Pink Floyd (Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall).

Sometimes, I'll just put the iPad on random and I could be listening to the Dave Brubeck Quartet one moment and Meshuggah or Opeth the next.

Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: Sorny]
      #5633338 - 01/20/13 02:33 PM

Why is it that it never occurred to me to listen to music while observing?

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5633341 - 01/20/13 02:34 PM

No music for me. I often listen to the radio... Sports: a game is about 3 hours long and makes for a nice observing session. Later in the evening, shortwave, probably Radio New Zealand or Radio Australia are definitely interesting. Saturday Night Country on Radio Australia can be pretty amazing. I first heard this song during an interview with Bob Corbett:

Lucky Country: Bob Corbett and the Roo Grass Band

Jon

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/22/05

Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: Gil V]
      #5633359 - 01/20/13 02:45 PM

It use to be that astronomers at Mt.Palomar listened to music while strapped to a seat. Yep they used a seat belt while sitting & wore a helmet because someone fell off the seat & got hurt quite badly. I wonder if the laws has changed so we don't need a helmet while observing.

Jim

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5633376 - 01/20/13 02:55 PM

I prefer silence simply because I'm usually around someone else and nobody likes the same music.

While I think Meddle was the last good Pink Floyd album, I'd be listening to such a variety if psychedelic, hard rock, heavy metal and death metal that it would make many half my age cringe.

Sorry, I just don't fit the mold.

I remember at some of the Okie-Texes I went to in the mid 90's and I think it was Jason Ware that used to play New Age music. It was okay but made me think I was in an Occult bookstore. Not that I mind that but I was waiting for the incense to drift my way.

I know that whatever someone plays, someone else is going to hate it.

I say all this in mind with the fact that I never observe alone for safety reasons so the subject of playing my own music will never come up anyway. I have a soundtrack playing in my head which really pertains more to when I'm writing my novels, short stories and articles rather than when I'm observing. When I'm observing, I'm usually busy studying the object, taking down notes, or talking with my fellow observer(s). I can chew gum and walk at the same time but...

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: Dwight J]
      #5633389 - 01/20/13 03:00 PM

+1 for Mike Oldfield, 'if' I listened to music while observing. Just prefer the quite of the night myself

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5633391 - 01/20/13 03:01 PM

Yes--if viewing with others, please use ear phones. We have a person in our club who cranks up the music and most of us want to observe in silence, with some minimal talking.

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
      #5633464 - 01/20/13 03:58 PM

Well y'all, down heyah in the South we don' hold much with awl dat flewzy coat-'n-tie symfonnic stuff. Gimme Alison Krauss any ol' night. Heck, she even names her sawngs accordin'ly ...

Stars

(It's actewally a cover uva erly Dan Fogelberg tune. He'z wuz a Yankee from Illanoyz, but we'll furgiv 'er since she re-sings it so danged bootif'ly.)

Actually my tastes vary greatly. This song was a favorite of mine when I was a teenager, and it fits right in while observing too ...

Gary Wright - Dream Weaver

Meade

Edited by Meadeball (01/20/13 04:01 PM)

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #5633535 - 01/20/13 04:43 PM

Depends on my mood. 95% of the time I am with friends so I don't listen to anything. When I am alone and if I am reflective then I listen to Holst, Vangelis, Mursogsky PIctures at an Exhibition, Bruce Lazuras The Messier Objects for Piano at this link, or the music of William Ackerman like Sound of Wind Driven Rain. So if I am in a reflective mood I listen to either a variety of classical or new age type music.

If I am in an upbeat mood I'll pull my jazz collection out and play that. I love all types of music (not rap though) but Jazz is one of my favorite genres when I'm in the mood.

If I am pumped up then I bring out my classic rock including my favorite group, a small Canadian group called Rush. I also will listen to Boston, and a couple of other groups like Led Zep. and other classic rock groups.

One other category I'll mention is soundtracks. I love to listen to Last of the Mohicans, Gettysburg, Cosmos, and a couple of other movies. Katherine Jenkins is nice to listen to also. Phantom, Les Miserable, Cats, etc are good musicals to listen to. Also I listen to podcasts such as Richard Pogge's Astro 161 and 162 and is latest or A. Fillipenko out of Berkley has a nice one. Books on tape are good as I The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings that I enjoy or the BBC plays of those items. It just depends on my mood and if I am alone or not.

Often though, the best music is the music of the night, the silence of the night. I love hearing coyotes howl and snap. The fly over by bats or owls is cool. I also enjoy the sound of the birds that fly around in the night and the insects. I don't have mosquitos where I observe so I don't have to worry too much about them, not like people back east do.

Edited by JayinUT (01/20/13 04:45 PM)

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5633672 - 01/20/13 05:57 PM

Quote:

Gustav Holst, The Planets.

I read that Kepler developed some musical relationships to the planets. Did Holst borrow from those?

And Zappa's always good and dark.

bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: Any suggested soundtracks for viewing? new [Re: Seldom]
      #5633733 - 01/20/13 06:28 PM

Many years ago, I figured it'd be nice to listen to music while observing. I went out and bought one of those little tape player thingys that had recently been invented with earphones, (a Walkman was it?) and then started searching for good music. The rock and blues stuff I'd normally listen to didn't lend itself to observing, so I started exploring big band and classical things. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is great, as are a few others, but finally I found I'd rather listen to the small sounds of the night.
Marty

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1414

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics