Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page


Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Tony Flanders
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5636285 - 01/22/13 06:26 AM

Quote:

My favorite brick and mortar bookstore "Borders" went out of business ...




It's their own fault. Borders was a magnificent local bookstore in Ann Arbor that got delusions of grandeur and went national. I lament the passing of local bookstores, but not book supermarkets.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich (RLTYS)
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5636488 - 01/22/13 09:33 AM

I also miss Borders and some of the local used book stores.

Rich (RLTYS)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
operascope
sage
*****

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5636580 - 01/22/13 10:23 AM

There will always be a demand for printed books, but my bigger fear is the supply chain. Amazon is now market dominant, and has flexed its muscles at small publishers and independent authors to further "corner the market".
Borders is gone, and Barnes and Noble is in deep trouble. If it goes, I fear that Amazon will be able to almost do as it wishes, and one possibility is to try to move all consumers to ebooks, which can have a far greater profit margin.
Print on demand will eventually be more common, and the local bookstore of the future might have a print on demand machine at its location.
Printed books are deeply ingrained in our culture, and any change will be slower than something like vinyl to CD or CD to digital... of course vinyl is still being produced, if only in very small quantities.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GDN
sage


Reged: 04/14/11

Loc: Northern Michigan
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5636582 - 01/22/13 10:24 AM

Printed books will always be available. Bottom line: they don't need batteries, power cords, or sunlight recharging. And, I can continue to read while the plane is taking off or landing.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
droid
rocketman
*****

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5636589 - 01/22/13 10:26 AM

We used to have a Waldons book store in the local mall, Spent tons of money in there, one day I go in and they no longer carry astronomy mags, but they have been replaced with other, shall we say scandolous, mags.That should have been a sign.One year later, more or less, they folded.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!
*****

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: droid]
      #5636642 - 01/22/13 10:58 AM

Borders Bookstore was owned by Waldenbooks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blb
Post Laureate


Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5636679 - 01/22/13 11:23 AM

Quote:

Borders Bookstore was owned by Waldenbooks.



And they are both gone now and I miss them. What few small bookstores are left, not having been run out of business by the big box book stores, do not cary a good selection of books either. Even Barnes and Noble does not have the selection it used to without the competion from Borders. It is a sad day for me because all I have left is Amazon. I just can not look at a book on Amazon. I know they have the look inside feature, but it is not the same as looking through a book. I need books because I will never go completly digital where you have to update every six months or less.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blb
Post Laureate


Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: blb]
      #5636684 - 01/22/13 11:28 AM

Quote:

...I lament the passing of local bookstores, but not book supermarkets.



But they drove out of business many of the mom and pop, localy owned, book stores. So now with there passing, unless you live in Boston or some other large metropolis, your out of luck if you wont to pick up a book and look at it.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: blb]
      #5636765 - 01/22/13 12:13 PM

I think there will always be paper books, just like you can buy a musket or a crossbow or a fire starting kit. However, the price will be very high. The largest paper manufacturer in the USA just went bankrupt, and many of the others are in trouble. The process is environmentally disruptive and faces more and more regulation, not to mention objections to cutting down more forests. The cost of distribution is also climbing. There are just too many middlemen involved in the physical manufacture and distribution of paper books.

Even in my small town, and certainly large USA cities, there is almost no one in the library reading rooms or checking out books. Everyone is on the computers. My library has cut way back on the new books purchased. Plus, even in my little town, there’s free WiFi everywhere. Many in library science are realizing that they will have to radically change, or see no customers. Just today I saw a report on CNN about a new venture that will install vending machines with iPads you rent out by the hour….. free in libraries. When you insert the iPad back in the vending machine it wipes out everything you did and re-sets it for the next customer. It will be coming to an airport near you!

There is a lot of discussion of “the graying of the print industry” as books and magazines appeal to fewer young people. Remember, today even 2 and 3 year olds know how to use an iPad. For many it's their favorite toy! This year South Korea has declared “paper is obsolete” in schools. No more books, paper, pens, for kids from kindergarten thru grad school! They are all issued a tablet with all text books, tests, homework, etc on them. The “books” are supplemented with video lectures and demos, and can be updated quickly. No more reading about the Inchon landings for Korean kids: they can watch a 2 minute video and then play with an interactive map. The kids smart-phones will have math drills that they need to complete on the way to school! Many schools in the USA are moving in the same direction, and also not even teaching cursive handwriting any more. We are probably the last generation who will even know how to hand-write a note to grandma.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mich_al
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5636834 - 01/22/13 12:48 PM

Quote:

Agree. Electronic format standard changes over time; often making them obsolete in the long term. And books will outlast a CME or EMP.




Changeing standards is a real concern of mine. I've got lots of music (and soon to be video) that I have no way to 'play'.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mich_al
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5636860 - 01/22/13 12:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My favorite brick and mortar bookstore "Borders" went out of business ...




It's their own fault. Borders was a magnificent local bookstore in Ann Arbor that got delusions of grandeur and went national. I lament the passing of local bookstores, but not book supermarkets.




Tony
I was just thinking of the original Borders on State Street in AA just a few hundred yards from the U of M diag. Amazing world class bookstore. I spent many hours there browsing, creaky floors and hidded niches. Once stumble on a book concerning the engineering principles of urinals. Was only in the new AA store a block south a couple of times.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid
*****

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: operascope]
      #5637481 - 01/22/13 06:10 PM

Quote:

Print on demand will eventually be more common, and the local bookstore of the future might have a print on demand machine at its location.




If this becomes the future, it just won't be the same. I don't want to print off a book with my home computer's printer. I call up my bookstore, and they print it off for me? Probably this model will mean that a few companies like Amazon will corner all the book printing business. I wonder what that will mean to specialty books such as on astronomy that we all enjoy? I don't know how this will all shake out, but in my opinion, it doesn't look good.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
City Kid
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5637608 - 01/22/13 07:38 PM

Gene, I hope you're wrong about the demise of printed reading material but I think you're probably right. However I don't think printed material will go away in my lifetime so I will continue to enjoy kicking back in comfort while I hold real books and magazines in my hands just like we're supposed to do!

Phil


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
helpwanted
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5637641 - 01/22/13 08:04 PM

I don't think book stores, such as Borders, went out of business because of digital media. I feel they put themselves out of business by turning themselves into libraries. They had plush comfy chairs, free wifi, and you could get a coffee and snack... And no one cared if you say there and read a book off the shelf. There was no longer a need to buy the book!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
desertstars

*****

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5637868 - 01/22/13 10:14 PM

Quote:

I don't think book stores, such as Borders, went out of business because of digital media. I feel they put themselves out of business by turning themselves into libraries. They had plush comfy chairs, free wifi, and you could get a coffee and snack... And no one cared if you say there and read a book off the shelf. There was no longer a need to buy the book!




Not sure how much that aspect actually hurt them, but they were definitely their own worst enemy, with a history of really dumb decisions. It was a shame to see them fold, but no one who was paying attention was especially surprised.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 03/28/11

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: George N]
      #5637916 - 01/22/13 10:40 PM

Quote:

I think there will always be paper books, just like you can buy a musket or a crossbow or a fire starting kit. However, the price will be very high. The largest paper manufacturer in the USA just went bankrupt, and many of the others are in trouble. The process is environmentally disruptive and faces more and more regulation, not to mention objections to cutting down more forests. The cost of distribution is also climbing. There are just too many middlemen involved in the physical manufacture and distribution of paper books.

Even in my small town, and certainly large USA cities, there is almost no one in the library reading rooms or checking out books. Everyone is on the computers. My library has cut way back on the new books purchased. Plus, even in my little town, there’s free WiFi everywhere. Many in library science are realizing that they will have to radically change, or see no customers. Just today I saw a report on CNN about a new venture that will install vending machines with iPads you rent out by the hour….. free in libraries. When you insert the iPad back in the vending machine it wipes out everything you did and re-sets it for the next customer. It will be coming to an airport near you!

There is a lot of discussion of “the graying of the print industry” as books and magazines appeal to fewer young people. Remember, today even 2 and 3 year olds know how to use an iPad. For many it's their favorite toy! This year South Korea has declared “paper is obsolete” in schools. No more books, paper, pens, for kids from kindergarten thru grad school! They are all issued a tablet with all text books, tests, homework, etc on them. The “books” are supplemented with video lectures and demos, and can be updated quickly. No more reading about the Inchon landings for Korean kids: they can watch a 2 minute video and then play with an interactive map. The kids smart-phones will have math drills that they need to complete on the way to school! Many schools in the USA are moving in the same direction, and also not even teaching cursive handwriting any more. We are probably the last generation who will even know how to hand-write a note to grandma.




My kids were in the elementary school laptop program, and they all broketheir computers several times (only the 1st was covered by warranty), and often it took a long time to repair. Conclusion elementary school kids are too young. I believe they would be responsible at high school level.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 03/28/11

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5637929 - 01/22/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

I don't think book stores, such as Borders, went out of business because of digital media. I feel they put themselves out of business by turning themselves into libraries. They had plush comfy chairs, free wifi, and you could get a coffee and snack... And no one cared if you say there and read a book off the shelf. There was no longer a need to buy the book!




And what is wrong with excellent customer service? They filled a niche.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
helpwanted
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5638003 - 01/22/13 11:23 PM

"And what is wrong with excellent customer service? They filled a niche. "

but they made no money doing it!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
operascope
sage
*****

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5638116 - 01/23/13 12:39 AM

Online sales and ebooks are the cause of the demise of both the small independent book stores, as well the big box stores. Sales of books in "bricks and mortar" establishments have eroded over the last several years by about 10% year over year.
The challenges they were facing were things that could be seen coming long before. There are/were ways to meet the challenges, such as diversifying (sell more than just books), and investing earlier and better in their online sales departments. They didn't make the changes early enough or well enough, and now they are paying the price.

My concern for the future of paper books isn't at the retail level. Instead, I fear that the publishers won't be able to make ends meet in today's marketplace. Just imagine the impact that would have.

Of course, there will still be speciality publishers like William Bell, and perhaps they will expand to fill the need.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tony Flanders
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? [Re: helpwanted]
      #5638306 - 01/23/13 06:51 AM

Quote:

I don't think book stores, such as Borders, went out of business because of digital media. I feel they put themselves out of business by turning themselves into libraries. They had plush comfy chairs, free wifi, and you could get a coffee and snack... And no one cared if you say there and read a book off the shelf. There was no longer a need to buy the book!




Book stores started to be put out of business by Amazon long before digital media made a dent in their market. The coffee shops are shrewd marketing, a way of distinguishing themselves from Amazon, providing a service that can't be replicated online.

In my town (Cambridge, MA) numerous bookstores with coffee shops are thriving, both big ones and small ones. Remeber, coffee is a high-margin business! Of course, this is a college town ... that helps.

In addition to providing books cheaper than any brick-and-mortar store can, Amazon has the huge advantage of being able to stock a wider selection, beating the great large bookstores like Ann Arbor's Borders or Cambridge's Coop at their own game.

I make a point of supporting my own local bookstores whenever possible; I'm willing to pay a premium to buy from a local, independently owned store. But sometimes, when I need a book in a hurry and they don't have it in stock, I have no choice but to buy from Amazon.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)


Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 6070

Jump to

CN Forums Home




Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics